Hunterbeav

Anyone jumping an S-Fire

skydiverek

***Why would the manufacturer of the canopy not shorten the break lines themselves. If they knew it would increase the effency of the flare it seems like they would.

Microlines (Spectra lines) shrink over time, so the excess is used over time.

One more time in an attempt to clear up the misconception that does not seem to want to go away here. On main canopies the manufacturer DOES NOT determine how long the total brake lines will be. It is up to the end user working with the rigger doing the installation to decide what length works best. In most cases the best thing to do is to install them long. After some test flights you can determine how much to shorten them.

All the s-fires I've seen and jumped shipped with Vectran kines. Fewer people are choosing Spectra these days for most canopies. Line shrinkage is not a factor here.

gowlerk

One more time in an attempt to clear up the misconception that does not seem to want to go away here. On main canopies the manufacturer DOES NOT determine how long the total brake lines will be. It is up to the end user working with the rigger doing the installation to decide what length works best.

The last few canopies I've installed, the toggle loops were set and bartacked by the manufacturer... just saying
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

The last few canopies I've installed, the toggle loops were set and bartacked by the manufacturer... just saying

Really? What kind of canopies? I have occasionally seen this in the past. But not for awhile. But then again I only see a few new mains a year.

gowlerk

******Why would the manufacturer of the canopy not shorten the break lines themselves. If they knew it would increase the effency of the flare it seems like they would.

Microlines (Spectra lines) shrink over time, so the excess is used over time.

One more time in an attempt to clear up the misconception that does not seem to want to go away here. On main canopies the manufacturer DOES NOT determine how long the total brake lines will be. It is up to the end user working with the rigger doing the installation to decide what length works best. In most cases the best thing to do is to install them long. After some test flights you can determine how much to shorten them.

All the s-fires I've seen and jumped shipped with Vectran kines. Fewer people are choosing Spectra these days for most canopies. Line shrinkage is not a factor here.

Gowlerk you say you have jumped the S-Fire....how many jumps have you had on them...what has the wing load been....and how did you like the canopy....how is the flare....can you 2 stage the flare....thanks for your input.

I jumped a 169 about 6 times. Decent openings. Fun to fly, meaning fast turns. Trimmed fairly shallow with a fairly flat glide ratio. Flare was good after I figured out that I needed to take a wrap to shorten the brake lines up. You need to make sure they are not too long because a lot of the power was fairly deep down.

I would definitely consider buying one if I was shopping for a new canopy. I’m about 210 lbs before gear.

gowlerk

I jumped a 169 about 6 times. Decent openings. Fun to fly, meaning fast turns. Trimmed fairly shallow with a fairly flat glide ratio. Flare was good after I figured out that I needed to take a wrap to shorten the brake lines up. You need to make sure they are not too long because a lot of the power was fairly deep down.

I would definitely consider buying one if I was shopping for a new canopy. I’m about 210 lbs before gear.

Cool....what are you currently jumping.....thanks

gowlerk

170 Stiletto. For about the last 20 years. The S-Fire turned almost as fast, had a better flare, and better openings. Stiletto is early 90's technology. But still in production.

I started jumping in 92 and the Stiletto was one of the highest performance canopies on the market...at least if my memory isn't failing me.....B|

Hunterbeav

***170 Stiletto. For about the last 20 years. The S-Fire turned almost as fast, had a better flare, and better openings. Stiletto is early 90's technology. But still in production.

I started jumping in 92 and the Stiletto was one of the highest performance canopies on the market...at least if my memory isn't failing me.....B|

I also started in '92. I bought a Cruiselite and jumped it for 2 seasons. Then I got the Stiletto. It was the first one in my province. Everyone thought for sure I would die.

I bought an S-Fire for my first canopy. I was using a Safire 2 209 for my first 60 jumps so I bought an S-Fire 189 (WL 0.95) for my first main. Overall I was surprised that it is quite a bit faster than the Safire 2 209 I was using before. I suspected the difference would be minor, but it's actually quite noticeable. The canopy is noticeably faster in every respect. It sinks faster, turns faster glides faster and the landings are faster. Of course I am comparing a 209 to a 189 so of course things will be faster, but it was more than I expected. I've flown a Hornet 189 and the Hornet 189 was slower than my S-Fire 189 in every respect except turns. The Hornet 189 was more responsive in turns than my S Fire. Overall I dont have much to compare it to as I only have 65 jumps though so take that for what it's worth (little). The openings so far have been fairly soft, about on par with my Safire 2.

One thing that does stand out is it's absurdly difficult to pack. I feel like few things in life are more difficult than trying to make an S fold on a brand new S-Fire without it inflating into a ball. :(

20_kN

I bought an S-Fire for my first canopy. I was using a Safire 2 209 for my first 60 jumps so I bought an S-Fire 189 (WL 0.95) for my first main. Overall I was surprised that it is quite a bit faster than the Safire 2 209 I was using before. I suspected the difference would be minor, but it's actually quite noticeable. The canopy is noticeably faster in every respect. It sinks faster, turns faster glides faster and the landings are faster. Of course I am comparing a 209 to a 189 so of course things will be faster, but it was more than I expected. I've flown a Hornet 189 and the Hornet 189 was slower than my S-Fire 189 in every respect except turns. The Hornet 189 was more responsive in turns than my S Fire. Overall I dont have much to compare it to as I only have 65 jumps though so take that for what it's worth (little). The openings so far have been fairly soft, about on par with my Safire 2.

One thing that does stand out is it's absurdly difficult to pack. I feel like few things in life are more difficult than trying to make an S fold on a brand new S-Fire without it inflating into a ball. :(

The good news is once you get good at packing that slippery fucker, it's usually all downhill from there.