Jleon

CURV vs Vector 3

One disadvantage of the UPT Skyhook is the way the manual is written, especially for the newer skydiver. The only reference of the properly way to route the cutaway cables is in the reserve repack section. If you do the cutaway cable maintenance as referenced in the manual, there is no mention on the proper cable routing thru the collins lanyard, at least in my manual.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

As Austro Control is regulated by/ a national Department of EASA it IS tso‘d under EASA and therefore tso‘d under TSO c-23 f in any sense of the word and SIFE confirmed this to me.

At least that‘s my understanding of a conversation with the manufacturer. Attached one of their replies in german, can‘t find the mail where Diana mentioned the EASA part atm.

-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

2F6B37C7-F1E0-4CE2-B2FF-8924560057E6.png

Pobrause

As Austro Control is regulated by/ a national Department of EASA it IS tso‘d under EASA and therefore tso‘d under TSO c-23 f in any sense of the word and SIFE confirmed this to me.

At least that‘s my understanding of a conversation with the manufacturer. Attached one of their replies in german, can‘t find the mail where Diana mentioned the EASA part atm.

TSO is a US FAA standard, though other countries adopt its methodologies. It doesn’t look like Sife has a TSO approval from the US FAA (or at least it’s realllly not clear), which would mean you can’t jump it in the us unless you’re a non-US visitor.

Pobrause

EASA doesn't regulate the manufacturing of sport parachutes since 2006. I don't care what the manufacturer claims. They do not have an FAA or EASA TSO. Based on the EU law, if it's approved in one of the EU countries, the rest should allowed it too. That's the loophole they are using. Funny times ahead with the Brexit. It can happen that since TS only have the UK approval, some EU countries might ban their products once UK leave the union....

ETA: EASA outsourced the control of certifying skydiving gear for sport use to the local authorities for each country . Only the PEPs are left under EASA's scope! So if Austro Control certified SIFE, that doesn't mean they hold an EASA TSO c23f.

ETA 2: To the OP, sorry for changing the subject. My advice has always been, talk to your rigger. He/she is the person that will have to deal with that gear/manufacturer. And don't forget the resale value, because the reality is, you will be selling that rig at some point.
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Deyan

***As Austro Control is regulated by/ a national Department of EASA it IS tso‘d under EASA and therefore tso‘d under TSO c-23 f in any sense of the word and SIFE confirmed this to me.

EASA doesn't regulate the manufacturing of sport parachutes since 2006. I don't care what the manufacturer claims. They do not have an FAA or EASA TSO. Based on the EU law, if it's approved in one of the EU countries, the rest should allowed it too. That's the loophole they are using. Funny times ahead with the Brexit. It can happen that since TS only have the UK approval, some EU countries might ban their products once UK leave the union....

Does Thomas Sport have an FAA TSO?

shadeland

******As Austro Control is regulated by/ a national Department of EASA it IS tso‘d under EASA and therefore tso‘d under TSO c-23 f in any sense of the word and SIFE confirmed this to me.

Does Thomas Sport have an FAA TSO?

Just from a dim distant memory - Didn't Thomas Sports have a TSO through bilateral airworthiness agreements with Australia or something like that.

skytribe

Just from a dim distant memory - Didn't Thomas Sports have a TSO through bilateral airworthiness agreements with Australia or something like that.

There was something indeed. However on the latest rig from them, on the label was written only the UK certificate. The abbreviation FAA wasn't written anywhere!
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Speaking of non-US manufacturers, there's a company (Avalon) out of Bulgaria that does license the SkyHook (no TSO I believe). That's the 5th SkyHook equipped manufacturer that I know about in the sport market.

* UPT (designer)
* Aerodyne
* Sunpath Javelin
* Vortex
* Avalon

Add Czech Republic made container MARS to the list. It does have Skyhook:

http://www.marsjev.cz/en/real-x

Pobrause

I confirmed with Sife, they do not have a USA TSO certification. It cannot be jumped legally in the US by US citizens, though foreign visitors may be able to jump it (though I think the reserve needs to be packed/sealed by a FAA certified rigger)