maxhogg

Dekunu One vs AON2 X2+

The device that that has been extensively tested and optimized for swooping measurements is the Flysight. It's a very powerful tool for debriefing swoops. For precise measurements, it requires a top helmet mount, high sample rate and dedicated settings different than the ones used for measuring wingsuit performance combined with some advanced piece of software like GSwoop.

I highly doubt that any of those new altis will reach satisfactory accuracy by itself (without using another external sensor), my guess is that it will be seen as a data that is fun to look at but not trustworthy. If they can import or replicate GSwoop inside the alti with a powerful sensor through bluetooth that would be awesome.

Although X2 will be extremely versatile, it will be more like a swiss army knife designed to do a lot of things, but there is an advantage to doing only one thing and doing it well.

So X2 will be able to do basic swoop analysis, but a dedicated device like the Flysight will have higher sampling rates and better accuracy. In fact, we at AON2 have been coordinating with Flysight on the development of the X2 and the Flysight 2 with the aim of making them compatible :)

aonsquared

Although X2 will be extremely versatile, it will be more like a swiss army knife designed to do a lot of things, but there is an advantage to doing only one thing and doing it well.

So X2 will be able to do basic swoop analysis, but a dedicated device like the Flysight will have higher sampling rates and better accuracy. In fact, we at AON2 have been coordinating with Flysight on the development of the X2 and the Flysight 2 with the aim of making them compatible :)

You mean like a Bluetooth enabled flysight? Or just Bluetooth enabled GPS?

It exists for paragliders. Maybe you guys can look into integrating? http://www.blueflyvario.com/product-category/variometers/ They make a new hardware revision every few months based on market demand. Pretty sure they'll build you a box with some sensors if you asked for it.

I'm one of the ambassadors for Dekunu and have been jumping a prototype for a while. Happy to answer questions if I can.

I didn't realize that there Aon were out there, I'm happy to see there'll be competition in the market on the advanced altimeter front. They say it's a bad thing to be in a market with no competitors, can be indicative of being too far ahead. :)
I'm always a bit confused when people are so opposed to innovation but, I'm a computer guy so, I guess I'm predisposed to be excited about new stuff. Having said that, the great thing about new technology is that you don't have to buy it. ;)

Regarding the Terms and Conditions, they've been updated as noted earlier in the thread. A clear distinction has been made between de-identified and PII data which was a fair concern, I think. https://shop.dekunu.tech/dekunu-one-t-cs-of-purchase/

I use my flysight on every jump and review my data as well. The Dekunu will support exporting your jumps in the same format as flysight. The Dekunu One knows what the local weather is (closest station) so you'll be able to get a sense of what your actual swoop data is with the weather.

I'll pass this thread on to the peeps at Dekunu but they're pretty heads down (you'll see they're in final PCB verification before production on their insta account https://www.instagram.com/dekunugram/-) trying to get the Dekunu One out.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the GPS update frequency on the X2? I've had good results with the old flysight revision at 5hz using Dan's gswoop software.

The X2 can support up to 10Hz GPS update frequency, but it will dynamically change the update frequency to optimise battery life. Most of the time it will use 1Hz update frequency.

And agreed, we're quite glad there's a lot of competition in the market - the main winner will be the skydiving consumer! ;)

And I'm not sure what the features of the new Flysight will be but it looks like Bluetooth will be a core feature.

EvilGenius

Apparently the Dekunu One will have a GPS update frequency between 10 & 18 Hz depending on the settings.

Technically, the GPS module in X2 can have an update frequency of up to 18 Hz too, but I see little benefit in using the maximum frequency. What would have been nice is L5-band GPS, but the signal has just been made available and there aren't any chips out for that yet :)

[url]
Deyan

To each their own!

I really have problem with paying for an idea! The fact that the companies need cash to get started is not my problem. Shouldn't be yours either.
Innovation? Dude, this is an altimeter! No matter how many video games they put in it, no matter what kind of useless info you get after every jump, it's an altimeter. It shows the altitude you are currently on, so you know when to separate, deploy and set up your landing pattern. Just for comparison the smart phone on which I'm writing this post cost 200 €!!!
I fully understand that there are people who want to have the newest and coolest before anybody else and that's fine. Let them test it for you. Meanwhile buy the cheapest altimeter you find and a tablet. You will appreciate the second one during weather holds.

500 bucks for an altimeter phhhh! Better makes coffee too and predict the numbers from the lottery !

Yeah I guess. I mean, why would you want a phone to do anything else other than ring, and transmit a voice signal.... yet here you are, on your smart phone, challenging a company who are trying to advance the capabilities of an otherwise simple device. Irony 101.

If you don't want it, don't buy it, but if we all stayed stagnant in technology, we'd all still be jumping ex military WW2 roundies - thankfully we've progressed :)
blank