Rashiid

How old is old?

Would anyone buy an old rig for the right price? (if it is in good shape) i'm talking 1995-2000 rigs? are they as safe as the newer designs? what changed versus newer rigs?

I just got my license i've been jumping older rigs and hey i'm alive, but for some reason I feel that older rigs are not safe.

Please share your thoughts and let me know what you think? is it worth paying a few extra $$ for a newer rig?

Thanks!

Yes.

I sold a 1997 Talon last summer.

The new owner was happy to be able to get up in the air without renting gear.
He fully understood that it was not a rig for freeflying.

He had it inspected by a rigger we both knew & trusted, and test jumped it a couple times.

It was (is) a nice rig, reserve about 2/3 checked off (PD), decent 190 Triathlon in it. Set up for an AAD, but didn't have one.

I got a new one a few years ago, and was looking to pass it on to a newer jumper, as it was to me.

Newer rigs are more likely to be 'freefly friendly', have "bells & whistles" (MARD, hip & chest rings, ect).
But I wouldn't say an older rig is "Not Safe" just because it's older, not in any way (presuming good condition).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Canopies from before the mid-90's (to include Raven reserves generally, unless you REALLY understand not to load them above 1.1 or so) are often not of the same technology and style as now. Not entirely, but it's not a bad rule of thumb. If it's still made (e.g. Stiletto, Triathlon) it's about the same, and no issue. But as long as you:

• avoid rigs with lots of velcro, or that generally look like crap
  • avoid rigs with significantly smaller reserves than mains (do you really want to have your first downsize jump also be your first reserve ride?)
  • talk to someone who understands your budget and goals, and will advise you appropriately; how a rig was treated is as important as number of jumps
  • make sure you have it inspected, preferably with you being there so you can learn
    then there aren't a lot of issues. You might be getting a Cadillac, it'll just be your grandmother's 1995 creampuff :)

Wendy P.
    There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Rashiid

Would anyone buy an old rig for the right price? (if it is in good shape) i'm talking 1995-2000 rigs? are they as safe as the newer designs? what changed versus newer rigs?

I just got my license i've been jumping older rigs and hey i'm alive, but for some reason I feel that older rigs are not safe.

Please share your thoughts and let me know what you think? is it worth paying a few extra $$ for a newer rig?

Thanks!

Are you sure that the container system and the canopy are the same age? Canopies tend to age, including design wise, a lot faster than containers.

I'm a new into the sport so I wouldn't have a higher WL than 0.9 or 1. I was just wondering what makes a rig old (design/safety wise) but it turns out to be there isn't really a difference. I'll talk with the rigger at our DZ and discuss my goals and budget as you mentioned. Thanks for the advice!

Heck my newest container is a talon 2 from 1994 . I also have a original talon from 1988 that I happily still jump even with all the Velcro
    i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Rashiid

I'm a new into the sport so I wouldn't have a higher WL than 0.9 or 1. I was just wondering what makes a rig old (design/safety wise) but it turns out to be there isn't really a difference. I'll talk with the rigger at our DZ and discuss my goals and budget as you mentioned. Thanks for the advice!

Older gear means you need to be much more heads up when buying it and also you should be very aware of the possible limitations of gear, it's best to have a good rigger helping you with the decision...