parafredo

Aerodyne Bulletin

here is the text.....

With the use of semi-stowless bags, there are variables that affect the controlled deployment of parachute suspension lines, including canopy size selection & materials, line types, packing techniques, etc.

As more of our customers have ordered semi-stowless bags, we have seen inconsistencies on the openings while using these bags. This is a new situation we have not seen on the thousands of Icon containers equipped with the standard traditional elastic stow closure.

Based on these reports, Aerodyne has performed additional tests on the design of this semi-stowless bag in different conditions. These conditions accounted for a wide variety of variables such as canopy sizes related to the bag size, types of canopy fabrics, types of lines, opening speeds, and more importantly a variation of canopy packing techniques that we understand are used in the field.

Through this additional testing we have determined that conditions can exist causing a premature release of lines from the bag. This uncontrolled deployment of lines may cause variations in opening characteristics, and could lead to lines being caught on the container or jumper.

As a result, we have developed an improved semi-stowless bag design that better addresses these issues. To increase safety for customers using the original semi-stowless design, Aerodyne wishes to offer the latest version of this new design in a mandatory exchange program that will upgrade all Aerodyne original semi-stowless bags for our customers.

For anyone watching who doesn't already know the background -- or at least what I'm guessing is the background:

Original facebook post in French (but one can click translate):

https://www.facebook.com/benjaminbatignani/posts/10155245425823233
A main line snagged on the main top flap of an Icon, that used a semi-stowless bag. Cutaway done, main trailing by one line, reserve pin got bent by the forces of the snag, pin extracted only with a lot of effort, reserve cleared the trailing main.
(Plus reports of a second snag, that happened to someone else)

Repost to the popular Parachute Rigging for Dummies facebook group, with discussion in English: (need to be a group member I think)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ParachuteRigging/permalink/1741450782545373/?hc_location=ufi

Just trying to tie everything together!

piisfish

Where did you get the bent pin part?

Argh, can't find it at the moment. Somewhere buried in all the cascading list of comments in the original fb post by B. Batignani, there was a link to a photo, I think.

But a vimeo link (https://vimeo.com/190054711) was also posted for the jump video and I was able to spot it for just a moment - see attached.

The first version of the Aerodyne semi-stowless flaps look almost the same as those on the original UPT bag. The revised version also has the sewn side flaps . I wonder if UPT also had problems with their first semi-stowless design but quietly changed it.

pchapman

***Where did you get the bent pin part?

Argh, can't find it at the moment. Somewhere buried in all the cascading list of comments in the original fb post by B. Batignani, there was a link to a photo, I think.

But a vimeo link (https://vimeo.com/190054711) was also posted for the jump video and I was able to spot it for just a moment - see attached.found it. See attached
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

piisfish

******Where did you get the bent pin part?

But a vimeo link (https://vimeo.com/190054711) was also posted for the jump video and I was able to spot it for just a moment - see attached.found it. See attached

I have long been an advocate for reserve pins that are not so wimpy.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1085221#1085221
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Can't they use titanium for reserve pins? Maybe stainless steel? Or if that creates swaging problems, a combination of metals?
Just my opinion but reserve pins should not bend like paper clips.
What's right isn't always popular and what's popular isn't always right.

It looks like the pins bent because of the snag and eventually resulted in something that enabled it to release. ie. the ripcord was extracted.

So the question becomes - if the ripcord pins were beefier and didnt bend at all would the snag resulted in a ripcord that was impossible to release because it couldnt be bent.

Now the problem did not appear to be the ripcord - the problem looks like the ability for the snag to happen in the first place.

I don't understand why they are pushing something that's not broke....why not just go back to the standard bag.

Not just in relation to this one issue, but I find myself asking the same question on quite a few 'developments' in the sport that bring added risk with no measurable benefit.
=========Shaun ==========

Hunterbeav

I don't understand why they are pushing something that's not broke....why not just go back to the standard bag.

Because semi stowless bags are the new fashion. People are convinced that they will get cleaner, on heading openings. If a manufacturer does not have one available their sales will suffer.

gowlerk

***I don't understand why they are pushing something that's not broke....why not just go back to the standard bag.

Because semi stowless bags are the new fashion. People are convinced that they will get cleaner, on heading openings. If a manufacturer does not have one available their sales will suffer.

Dec 18, 2017, 4:34 PM 
Post #3 of 16 (1967 views) 
Shortcut 
Re: [kat00] Aerodyne Bulletin [In reply to]Quote | Reply | here is the text..... 

With the use of semi-stowless bags, there are variables that affect the controlled deployment of parachute suspension lines, including canopy size selection & materials, line types, packing techniques, etc. 

As more of our customers have ordered semi-stowless bags, we have seen inconsistencies on the openings while using these bags. This is a new situation we have not seen on the thousands of Icon containers equipped with the standard traditional elastic stow closure. 

Based on these reports, Aerodyne has performed additional tests on the design of this semi-stowless bag in different conditions. These conditions accounted for a wide variety of variables such as canopy sizes related to the bag size, types of canopy fabrics, types of lines, opening speeds, and more importantly a variation of canopy packing techniques that we understand are used in the field. 

Through this additional testing we have determined that conditions can exist causing a premature release of lines from the bag. This uncontrolled deployment of lines may cause variations in opening characteristics, and could lead to lines being caught on the container or jumper. 

Doesn't sound like new is better....no problems with original....problems with new design and having to fix them...I'll stick with old....sometimes new for the sake of new is not always better.

gowlerk

Hey, me too. I’m just saying what the new reality is. There are many highly respected jumpers here who swear by them. I use rubber bands.

Would be nice if they offered both...and let the jumper decide what they want or feel comfortable with.... I guess you could always just get a bag and use it.. but would be better if company offered both.

Unstable

*** no measurable benefit.

my "measurable benefits":
a. less expensive (no money spent on rubber-bands anymore)
b. faster pack jobs (my bag is completely stow-less: it packs twice as fast)
c. better for the environment (rubber-band-litter eliminated)
d. save the rubber-band trees! (haha ya that's a STRETCH)
e. i just made myself laugh... "stretch" .... hahaha
f. magnets are cool

DOWNFALLS:
a. the magnets grab everything metal
b. the magnets make the bag very heavy
c. kooks who pack like shit have malfunctions and people like me have to teach them how to pack OR the manufacture goes out of their way to generously recall their product to make it more idiot-proof.

you are your canopy's commander!
YOU decide.

aloha
-Jordo