Ron

Reserve Opened After Being Packed for 15 Years!!!!

We had someone who had quit jumping one of their old rigs. It was a Swift packed into a Javelin (Serial number in the mid 300 range). The rig had not been packed since 2002.

The question was... Would it have opened? I think yes. The pilot chute had a good launch and there were no significant other reasons why it would not have opened.

I could have made some money on the Swift cell count. Most jumpers today have never seen a five cell canopy. We used to have a guy that jumped one as a main when I started.

https://youtu.be/zq9fG-OpF1A
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

JerryBaumchen

Hi Ron,

Most jumpers today have never seen a five cell canopy.

Saved me at least once. And a stand-up from an old, 175 lb guy.

I would have liked to seen them jump it, would have meant a lot more.

However, nice to know that it would have worked.

Jerry Baumchen

I jumped a Swift as a main set up as a demo rig at the World Meet in 81. As for reserve openings, the 20" SAC I opened head down at terminal would be the most memorable except I was out for most of it.

A while ago, I got back the first rig I ever made. It contained a PC which had been packed for over 25 years. What the hell I figured, let's put a jump on it and see if it still works. In two words, IT DID! One caveat: We DID replace the rubber bands, which had long since rotted, but we did not touch the packed canopy in the bag.

billbooth

A while ago, I got back the first rig I ever made. It contained a PC which had been packed for over 25 years. What the hell I figured, let's put a jump on it and see if it still works. In two words, IT DID! One caveat: We DID replace the rubber bands, which had long since rotted, but we did not touch the packed canopy in the bag.

This, people, is the man. ^
The public demands more details! B|
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

A one year repack cycle would be very useful and appropriate. Especially here in Canada where the season is often just over 180 days. My feeling is that an ideal solution would be an external harness, container, and main inspection at 180 days and a reserve repack with a complete inspection yearly. Reserves are well protected inside the container and are most likely to be damaged with no benefit from frequent repacking.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Paraflite also had the Swift main canopy. I made two jumps on one in 1984 at a DZ in Chandler, Oklahoma. I was jumping borrowed gear because my container was out of compliance. This was the year that some 3 ring hardware was found to be defective (metal too soft), but that's another story. The Swift main canopy was five cells like the reserve.

gowlerk

A one year repack cycle would be very useful and appropriate. Especially here in Canada where the season is often just over 180 days. My feeling is that an ideal solution would be an external harness, container, and main inspection at 180 days and a reserve repack with a complete inspection yearly. Reserves are well protected inside the container and are most likely to be damaged with no benefit from frequent repacking.

But that seems like as much trouble as finding a rigger for a repack. For me, at least, it wouldn't save anything.

I see your point. But an exterior inspection of those components could be accomplished at the DZ after a jump and before packing in 30 minutes or less. Of course ideally most of that is done by the owner keeping an eye on things. But in these days of people just throwing their rig at a packer and paying for a quick pack job things that should be tended to get missed.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

We DID replace the rubber bands, which had long since rotted

I know a difficult question to ask, but on average how long do you think rubber bands would last?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

gowlerk

Australia just changed to a 12 month cycle. The main reasoning was that more damage occurred during repack. To be signed off for 12 months the entire rug needs to be inspected.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

Hi Ken,

an external harness, container, and main inspection at 180 days

I think that I can understand what you would like to see.

However, having worked with the FAA since 1965, I would never trust them to write a reg that would be anywhere close to what you would like.

I really do think that the PIA should take the lead & write a suggested reg & then send it to the FAA. Then, just maybe we would get some language that is close to what we would want.

Jerry Baumchen

Ron

We DID replace the rubber bands, which had long since rotted

I know a difficult question to ask, but on average how long do you think rubber bands would last?

Milspec rubber bands should be good for 2 years.
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Bob_Church

***Hi Bill,

In two words, IT DID!

This why I support a 1-yr pack cycle for the US.

Jerry Baumchen

I would love that. I'd be more than happy to pay twice what I'm paying now, riggers have to eat, but the nearest rigger to me is hours away.

Germany and many other Euro countries have a 1 year inspection and repack cycle for nearly 10 years and it has proven itself.
Here it is the manufacturer who determines the maintenance in terms of intervals,content, and personnel. Much like you know it from car manufacturers. Too bad the FAA still hangs on to it's souvereignity in this respect. Especially the reserve fabric is very thankful for not being constantly "physically mistreated" to increase permeability unnecessarily.
Stefan Ertler
Paratec
Germany
Gardner : She looks fast !
Truman Sparks : Yeah, it's the stripes.