sudo242

Should this freak me out?

This is the most common misrouting mistake on soft links.
While it should not be like this, the chance of the link failing because of it is practically zero. I've seen reserve canopies open at terminal with a mistake like this....

Once again, I'm not advocating bad rigging. Just sharing my thoughts!
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

What Jerry said, It's not OK and you should have it fixed.
My point was, you should not freak out about it.
Definitely not like the guy who's RPC didn't leave the container.
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

I will. I'll be having my reserve I&R done before I jump again. I'll have the rigger fix it then. I feel like I should be able to do this myself. I think I can, but there is a single stitch holding the softlink in place and I don't want to mess with that.

sudo242

I will. I'll be having my reserve I&R done before I jump again. I'll have the rigger fix it then. I feel like I should be able to do this myself. I think I can, but there is a single stitch holding the softlink in place and I don't want to mess with that.

While every experienced jumper should know how their gear works and almost every experienced jump has and does assemble their own main canopies to risers the CFR actually requires a licensed rigger to assemble a main canopy. For those who don't believe I'm not going to argue. Yes we've all do it and have for decades but the regs require a rigger for a main as they do a reserve, except the next jumper can pack it.

That being said get an experienced rigger to show you how to do this and what the stitch is all about. Then you will know if you want to.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

>how freaked out should I be?

I wouldn't be freaked out but I'd definitely be concerned and here is why: What else did this person miss? This little omission speaks to attention to detail and double checking one's work. Everything else is probably fine, but I wouldn't be able to relax until I had the entire rig checked by a qualified rigger.

Another example of a "packer with a rigger's license".
A rigger ALWAYS CHECKS HIS WORK. A packer just does the job and throws it over the fence - so to speak.

So, 1. Get your 20 back reserves packed 2. Buy the Dauntless written exam cheat sheet. Use it as your only study guide when you are packing the 20 3. Go to a well-known rigger examiner "mill" and presto. You are a legal rigger - known to all as "Rigger Lite".

No need to actually acquire actual skills, no need to acquire the rigger practices such as, "A rigger always checks his work" etc.
This picture indicates an attitude problem more than anything. Not a lack of skills problem. Being an actual rigger means you have inculcated the habits, the well-known rigger practices and you actually care.

Have I ever made a rigging mistake? Sure. But, do I (and other well-trained riggers) always check my work? Yes 100% of the time. Attitude attitude attitude.