dbram12388

Old Container/New Reserve - What to do?

Hey guys,

I have an old javelin that is still in great condition, but it's DOM is 1990. It was inspected and got all new webbing, metal and internal guts at the same time by Sunpath in Raeford. The only thing that is old is the actual cordura of the container which is in amazing shape.

It currently has a PDR 143 DOM 01/16 in it - maybe 1 repack and no rides.

I splurged over the summer and bought a brand new infinity and reserve. And now I am having trouble selling my old container and reserve, even though they are both like new items. Do you guys have any suggestions on selling it? I hate to part it out and then have to basically throw out the container.... What is a fair price for it?

David

You will not get out of that container what you paid Sunpath to update it. If you price it right, someone will want it. But you are going to take a big hit. It was a mistake on your part to spend so much on updating it. I recently bought one similar, but a little newer. With the articulating rings that yours lack, and a pd143r of the same vintage as the container. So an older reserve but it also has updated risers and a newer deployment system. I paid $900 USD.

Yours is worth more because the reserve is worth more. But realistically that container will be very hard to sell. It is in like new condition, but it's all 25 year old design. If it were mine I would probably sell the reserve and put the container away until I found a cheap similar vintage PDR of a 150 Tempo. But that only works if you are a rigger with a closet full of used gear for sale. Your other option is to keep it as a second rig. But most people who do that find that they never use it anyway.

I can't really put a price on the container. If you offered it for $200 someone would want it right away for parts. But if you wanted $500 you would have little interest.

Of course, all this is just my opinion. If the right person with the right needs comes along you could do better. Good luck.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I'm curious - When all the work was done on the container, did it have any freefly friendly mods made? I think a '90 Javelin would still have the non-tuck-in reserve pin cover flap, velcro riser covers, and lack a bridle cover.

While such older features are still accepted (and useful in certain roles), people are more and more expecting any rig for normal use to have standard freefly friendly components. A new harness is great, but old safety features also reduces the value.

Gowler's point is good - it is more sellable with a decent but older reserve.

Peter, I've never seen a Javelin with Velcro riser covers. Have you?

I have. Dom was mid-80's at the newest (I'm thinking 1983, but it was many, many years ago that I saw it, so my memory of the exact year could certainly be screwy - it was for sale on consignment in a shop I worked in).

gowlerk

Peter, I've never seen a Javelin with Velcro riser covers. Have you?

Good point.
Sunpath only started in the late '80s (according to Poynter) and even that '90 rig looks like it has tuck tabs for the risers.

Still, a large photo of a Javelin in my 1990-1991 Para-Gear catalogue shows riser covers with stitch lines and shaping that strongly suggest velcro on the riser covers. (Phew!)

So maybe only a very small number had velcro in the earlierst days??

[Edit: And in that Para-Gear the Jav was priced 13% less than the industry leading Vector II, a whole $788 (for a square reserve), which using the US consumer price index from 1990 to today equals under $1500. For a somewhat simpler rig.]

I've always wondered. I just packed one DOM Dec. 90. It has tabs. The Javelin design has really changed very little since then. They just keep adding little refinements over the years. I guess the biggest single change is the articulated harness.

Is it true that Mike Furry was the main designer, or is that just talk that I've heard?

Edit to add:

This is from the Sunpath web page.

In 1987 Sun Path Products Inc. started building the Javelin harness and container system in Zephyrhills FL. Now, more than 20 years and tens of thousands of rigs later, we manufacture the Javelin Legacy, Javelin Odyssey, Student Odyssey and Military Javelin harness container systems. Since our humble beginning with 12 employees, the company has moved from Z-Hills to Raeford NC, staff members have come and gone, and some have even returned!

Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Is it true that Mike Furry was the main designer, or is that just talk that I've heard?

Mike Fury was the designer and Lloyd "Red" Payne (who now owns Flight Concepts International) was a co-designer that worked for Mike.

Mike started SunPath in late 1986-early 1987 as I recall and yes they had Velcro riser covers. Replacing the Velcro was pretty easy on those containers. We still have a couple that we use for student packing in DeWolf's course.

Great Rigs BTW...
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

dbram12388

i didnt spend anything on getting the container re-done at sunpath. they did it for free because i was homies with the guy who worked there.

Well then. I guess you know what to do. Pay it forward!

jonstark

What does that rig owe you?
How about finding a local newby who needs a “loaner” for awhile. What size main will it take?
Pay it forward.

I would hesitate to give a "newbie" a reserve that small, regardless of the main size.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

gowlerk

I've always wondered. I just packed one DOM Dec. 90. It has tabs. The Javelin design has really changed very little since then. They just keep adding little refinements over the years. I guess the biggest single change is the articulated harness.

Edit to add:

This is from the Sunpath web page.

In 1987 Sun Path Products Inc. started building the Javelin harness and container system in Zephyrhills FL. Now, more than 20 years and tens of thousands of rigs later, we manufacture the Javelin Legacy, Javelin Odyssey, Student Odyssey and Military Javelin harness container systems. Since our humble beginning with 12 employees, the company has moved from Z-Hills to Raeford NC, staff members have come and gone, and some have even returned!

Don't you guys have any old stuff around?:P Attached photo of riser covers on July 89, SN 553 Javelin that I have in to inspect for potential sale. Has 1994 Fury reserce in it. I serviced it for the first 10 years of its life. Others next five years and been in a closet for 12 years since the DZO died and DZ closed. I think it will be airworthy.:)
Mmm, okay can't figure out how to get a file small enough on my new phone. Anyway it exists. Have March 91 sn 1644 with tuck tabs.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE