Monosa

New UPT semi-stowless bag

Hi,

I got a new Vector container with the new semi-stowless bag.

Example image: http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/images/stories/Options/SemiStowlessBag/01_ustowBothTabOpen.jpg

Packing instructions: https://www.facebook.com/UPTVector/videos/10154942730221149/

The old design had four tuck tabs and the new design has only two tuck tabs. With the old design it was possible to fully open the pouch, place the lines in a figure 8 style and close the pouch at end. The new design forces me to stow the lines step by step in the pouch and I am very scared to create accidentally a knot in the lines ... :o

Any idea how to prevent this from happening?

pnuwin

Old version was much better. They were originally going to offer both but changed their mind. I wonder why they changed their design. I wouldn’t buy the new one.

I ordered my container before the new design was released ... ;)

Maybe it is easier and cheaper to produce the new version because the design is simpler?

I absolutely think the new stowing method is safe because the reserve lines are also stowed in a similar way in the freebag with the only difference that the placement of the reserve lines is visible through the thin freebag material.

A question (for riggers): Are there any known incidents where a reserve failed due to improper stowage of the reserve lines in the freebag?

Hi Monosa,

I am very scared to create accidentally a knot in the lines ...

I have been building the NoStoBag for quite some time. It also uses a similar pouch, 3-sided pouch ( as do other semi-stowless bags ). I have never heard of anyone 'accidentally' having a knot in the lines.

I would suggest that you have a rigger walk you thru the stowing process a couple of times. Then you should be good to go.

Jerry Baumchen

Monosa

A question (for riggers): Are there any known incidents where a reserve failed due to improper stowage of the reserve lines in the freebag?

I do not know of any.

Also, about a thousand years ago, we used to freestow the main canopy lines by coiling them in the container. Rubber bands were just for the bag locking stows. We quit freestowing the lines because sometimes they half-hitched around a container flap, but I don't recall any malfunctions resulting from lines entangling with themselves. Except maybe tension knots, and we have those with conventional bags and current line stow methods.

-Mark

mark

***A question (for riggers): Are there any known incidents where a reserve failed due to improper stowage of the reserve lines in the freebag?

I do not know of any.

Also, about a thousand years ago, we used to freestow the main canopy lines by coiling them in the container. Rubber bands were just for the bag locking stows. We quit freestowing the lines because sometimes they half-hitched around a container flap, but I don't recall any malfunctions resulting from lines entangling with themselves. Except maybe tension knots, and we have those with conventional bags and current line stow methods.

-Mark

Never heard of someone getting a knot in reserve lines and from my meager experience it is really hard to cause. Basically you're just placing bundles of lines on top of each other, unless you intentionally use force to push the bundles past eachother I imagine it would be really nearly impossible...

The new bag design was built to reduce bulk. This was a big issue with the older design, particularly for swoopers stowing the bag plus full RDS in a leg pocket. Getting rid of the big flap+ extra tuck tabs also makes it fit nicer in a tight container.

As long as you stack the figure 8's on top of each other and the bights don't pass through each other (excessively) you will be fine. It's the same concept as flaking a throw rope into a throw bag, perfect neatness isn't a mandatory requirement.

As was noted above-ask a rigger to give you some tips next time you pack it, after 10-12 pack jobs it'll become as normal as wrapping elastic retainer bands around your lines.

Cheers,

-Harry
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

The old design had four tuck tabs and the new design has only two tuck tabs. With the old design it was possible to fully open the pouch, place the lines in a figure 8 style and close the pouch at end.

With the old design it is possible to make beautiful looking figure 8s, starting large and working down to smaller. The video even talks about starting "the first figure 8". It then proceeds to S-stow the lines. Which is what you will need to do instead of figure 8s. And it will work just fine. But it will drive you crazy until you get used to it.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

this is similar to the way reserve lines are stowed in most reserve freebags. When I was a new rigger, I was really scared of the same thing - that somehow the lines would end up a tangled mess and the canopy wouldn't be able to deploy. But I have never heard of that happening, with one of my pack jobs or anyone else's either, for that matter.

Just go slow the first few times you do it - be careful and methodical, and soon your fingers will have muscle memory that will make stowing your lines a literal no-brainer.

Enjoy your new Vector!

I have a Jerry Baumchen's D-bag (MagBag) with a reserve-like pocket (with 3 sides stitched). I put lines (and my packers too) just stow after stow (like a reserve) but instead of Velcro there are 2 strong magnets for the line pouch closure.

After several hundred jumps on it, it works perfectly. Clean and orderly deployment according several videos shot from the back.

As I always say, if it's good for a reserve, it's good for a main.
Therefore, I wouldn't worry too much about using the new UPT Vector D-bag.

Note: Just show your packers how to do it. And after few packings they will appreciate the fact they don't have to change the broken rubber bands.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Hello Betsy
You couldn't be more on the same wavelength. I have seen people packing my UPT Vector main with the MagBag and worried a bit. But so far so good. I like the figure eight stowing but it's not absolutely necessary

I hope your life with P.G. is OK.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Does anyone know if this new design is compatible with Dacron lines? The previous one wasn't (too much bulk), and I suspect that it's the same story with this one, but thought I'd ask.

For whatever it's worth, I use a UPT semi-stowless (previous style) with dacron lines, and it works fine. Bulkier than before I switched to dacron lines, obviously, but I can still close my container.