faulknerwn

Comprehensive List of Gear

I am starting work to do an app for a riggers logbook, and I want to be able to have choices available for gear. I am trying to find a fairly comprehensive list of companies/gear to have as choices.

While getting most of the modernish US gear is no problem (Vector I/II/III, Reflexes, modern reserves), I am wondering about getting some older names etc that might still be in service. Various Glidepath/Flight Concepts reserves, the assorted Raven varieties over the years.

I don't care about getting every possible ancient gear - just stuff that might still be in service. This would include brands of pilot rigs/reserves that are still packed.

Also any modern sport rigs/reserves from Europe that I am not all that familiar with.

Is there a good list available somewhere?

Not really answering your question, but the worst thing you can do for production software is impose unnecessary limitations or an obtuse UI. Why do you feel the gear needs to be enumerated rather than simply being a text input?

If you're dead set on using a list, just add the popular makes/models but also add an "other" option with a text box so that users can input whatever is required. You'll never predict every use case, and a single hole in a log book makes the entire thing useless.

Was definitely planning to save the names of new gear and have an option for user input. Just seemed like it would save a lot of time to avoid having to type in Javelin and such every time if I could just choose it.

And if they pick rigging innovations to be able to just be able to choose between flexon/curv/talon etc seems easier than having to type it in every single time.

Plus my goal is to have it save rigs by jumper name so that if I put in bob Jones as the user I can have it pop up his Javelin or his Mirage or whatever.

Plus I think having it as choices will avoid lots of typos and having mispellings and such everywhere.

faulknerwn

Was definitely planning to save the names of new gear and have an option for user input. Just seemed like it would save a lot of time to avoid having to type in Javelin and such every time if I could just choose it.

And if they pick rigging innovations to be able to just be able to choose between flexon/curv/talon etc seems easier than having to type it in every single time.

Plus my goal is to have it save rigs by jumper name so that if I put in bob Jones as the user I can have it pop up his Javelin or his Mirage or whatever.

Plus I think having it as choices will avoid lots of typos and having mispellings and such everywhere.

Yes, some of us dislike typing more than necessary, so I think you're on the right track. Or maybe I'm biased because what you're describing is similar to what I'm using. Our dz uses gcskydiving manifest software. It has a database of all the funjumpers at our DZ, along with rig info for that jumper's rigs. It uses drop-down boxes for gear choices like containers, aads, etc, and it keeps track of repack due dates. If a jumper tries to manifest and his rig is out of date, a red flag pops up for the manifest window. The DZ integration has been useful for that reason, plus user addresses are stored there, so I can access it for log book info. Also it's cloud based, which has been very convenient when I'm on the road and a SB comes out: I can look at serial numbers fairly quickly (but there's not a search by SN or by DOM type of search available, which would be nice.)

Also there's no rigging accounting functionality built it, like a list of work performed with prices, invoicing, etc. That would be nice to integrate.

Fair enough. I've seen enough bad UI choices in the mobile world that this made something itch between my ears is all, but it sounds like you've got a plan. Real world convenience is going to depend on the platform too, I suppose i.e. touchscreen vs mouse and keyboard. The Android app "Skydiving Logbook" has a decent solution with a pre-populated list of aircraft, DZs, jump types, etc. that a user is free to redefine or add to. It's either clunky or convenient, depending on the person, but could be one approach.

I just recently did something similar--but less intelligent on the data entry side--in a script for Google Spreadsheets (and Google Forms), so it'll be interesting to see where yours goes. Automatic email/calendar reminders for the customer are nice if you can figure out a good system for that.

I wrote an iphone App that people can download and put in their rigs and repack dates where it pops up alerts when they are coming due.

I have no idea whether I will ever even publish this - it is mostly for my own use and my own knowledge in learning to code :-)

I wrote a spot calculator app too I am working the bugs out on still which could be handy.

I might see if I can get my hands on an android device to see that logbook.

Gear changes too often for such a list to ever stay up-to-date. Old models fade away. New models are introduced every year. Unworkable.

Whatever you do, have an "other" option where they can type in a name theirself, that isn't in the list. It's really frustrating to need to enter something, and can't, because it's not in somebody's list.

Or make it like Excel, which has an "auto-fill" option, that compares what you're typing to entries that have been made previously, and gives you a selection to complete. Start typing "Parac..." and it will give "Paracommander" as an auto-fill option. In Excel, it saves a lot of typing of repetitive values.