uer16

Raven II slider dimensions

Hmm didn't realize they have bikini sliders. The goal is to safely skydive it as a main. So the appropriate sail slider dimensions would be ideal.

I think dimensions of the bikini slider grommet-to-grommet would be a good start (i.e. a sail slider of the same size shouldn't open any harder).

Just for fun, doesn't give you any useful info

RIGGING ADVISORY CIRCULAR
Issue Date: 18 August 1993 RAC No. 325 Rev. A
SUBJECT: RAVEN RESERVE BIKINI SLIDER

http://www.parachutemanuals.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=41&func=startdown&id=405
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

uer16

I think dimensions of the bikini slider grommet-to-grommet would be a good start (i.e. a sail slider of the same size shouldn't open any harder).

It is my opinion that a sail slider with the dimensions that Keith gives you would be a good start. It might open a bit fast still, but probably not too hard. All this assumes a canopy that has very few jumps on it. Once it gets hundreds of jumps the opening will probably start to slow down.

To complete your education on this "bikini slider" stuff, read the advisory circular that Ian pointed you to. I imagine someone will provide a picture at some point.

(Searching Google Images for "bikini slider" did not provide any pictures of sliders, but it did keep me occupied for a while.)

peek

***Here you go.

Cool, what size Raven and what dimensions on the slider?

That's a pic from when I tried to sell it, it's somewhere in my garage with all the other poor unloved canopies. Just showing what a Bikini slider looks like when Scotty Carbone isn't preening around the Pool in it.

uer16

Awesome info in the thread!

Still would like to know the dimensions before jumping it with a slider from a Sabre though..

Exactly what model Raven 2 is it? By "original" do you mean not a -M, not a Super Raven, or the very first model? Is there a letter in brackets on the label? I have a couple Raven 2s here.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

JerryBaumchen

Hi uer16,

tailpocket sewn over the label

It has been many years since I have inspected a Raven canopy. I seem to remember that they had the TSO label sewn to a rib right at front edge.

Look there and see what you can find.

Jerry Baumchen

Well, that's one way to encourage him to inspect it!
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

I just dug out a Raven II (e). DOM Mar. 90 I measure the slider to be 16.5 x 28 inches.

Thanks!

gowlerk

Well, that's one way to encourage him to inspect it!

Hah I wish, the label is clearly sticking out from under the tailpocket, around ~10% of it can be seen (the boilerplate warning text).

That is a good point though, I do need to thoroughly inspect it before jumping.