skiNEwhere

New Mirage Container Sizing Guide - WTF?

The new sizing guide seems to have done away with the whole "soft" and "optimal" size. Now for most of the containers there seems to just be an optimal size.

I currently have a Mirage G4 M4. The last sizing guide said the R-max 168 and Sabre2 170 were an optimal fit. The new sizing guide lists the Sabre2 170 as "firm", and lists an R-max 148 as the largest reserve (of the R-max) that can fit.

According to Mirage now, if a jumper were to follow the sizing guide to a T, they would have to buy a new container almost everytime they wanted to downsize.

That's just one example, but this is going on with the other sizes as well

New Sizing Guide:
https://miragesys.com/support/container-sizing-guide/

Old Sizing Guide:
https://www.yumpu.com/fr/document/view/38439087/mirage-systems-inc-container-sizing-guide
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it

Agreed! I packed one where it said "Skilled rigging experience needed" or similar and it was one of the worst packjobs of my life. I broke the loop multiple times, could not get the wrinkles out of it and it was as hard as a rock with no give at all when you would try to bend it. I have managed to avoid that rig ever again.

Going softer makes them pack easier as well as prevents the bag from getting trapped in the container since its softer and can flex some.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

yup. They've gotten more conservative in what they'll recommend you pack into their containers. It's all good with me, because I'd generally rather do easy pack jobs than difficult ones :P (I did get a little annoyed the time I had to sign a release because I was ordering a Mirage for canopies that were listed as a good fit in the old sizing guide, but not recommended in the new one. I had packed that combination many, many times, and knew it to be good fit, so I signed the release, proceeded with the order, and made my customer happy).

The new sizing guide is conservative. I presently have an MT with an Optimum 126 Reserve and a Katana 120 Main and both canopies fit fine. The Optimum is medium soft and flexible in the reserve container. The Katana fits nicely also.

I also have an MO with an Optimum 126 Reserve and a Pilot 140 ZPX Main. Again the Optimum 126 fits medium soft and the Pilot 140 ZPX fits just right.

I originally had a regular PD126R reserve in the MT container and it did fit snug.

I had a Reserve ride on the Optimum 126 out of the MO container and the deployment was smooth and clean.

The way I see it all Mirage is doing is to try to get people to order reasonably sized containers for their canopies so that the canopy fit will not be too snug especially in regard to their reserve.

All my riggers would agree with you. IMHO with both of my Mirages the recommended Reserve for the MT and MO is the Optimum 113 in the new sizing guide. With the old guide you could pack a regular PD126R in either container but it would be a snug fit. I have Optimum 126's in both rigs and neither are tight. The Optimum fills out the bag nicely and both containers are medium soft and flexible. IMHO the Optimum 113 would be too soft.