rifleman

Aerodyne Pilot - ZP, ZPX or UltraLPV build?

I may be receiving a substantial amount of money in the near future, enough to purchase a new H/C, main and reserve. Being a little on the heavy side I'm looking for a 250 ish reserve and was thinking of a Pilot 210 as the main but was wondering what the difference in pack size was between the ZP, ZPX and the UltraLPV build versions and what, if any, difference it would make to the possibilities of downsizing at some future date?
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

It will pack in a 190 container, but I was advised regular zp from a very reliable source due to increased wear on zpx.

I also had the honor packing a 1 size to big zp pilot in a container. It was hell of a struggle but it is doable. Wouldn't recommend for regular jumping. Canopy had a noticable hesitation during deployment.B|

I liked Pilots and have owned a few. I have only jumped the ZP and ZPX versions so I can't speak to the other thing but: I'd tend to go for the ZP by default. They seem to perform and wear a little bit better.

The pack volume difference is significant, but at a 210-ish size, you can get a downsize or two out of a container that big.

Demo would be ideal to see how you feel about the ZPX one for yourself (all this is very subjective), though that's not always possible.

[edit to add: more subjectivity here, but I did find the ZPX a little easier to pack.]
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Heard back from Jennifer at Aerodyne. Apparently, they don't do the 9 cell in UltraLPV, only the 7 cell which is a 207. Would there be much difference between the flight characteristics of the 7 cell 207 and the 9 cell 210?

FYI a pilot 7 207 in lpv pack to 425 cu. inch
a pilot 210 in zp is 465 cu. inch
a pilot 188 in zp is 440 cu. inch

The 207 in lpv is going to be very small in a 210 system. Even just in zp the 7 cell will pack up similar 188 due to less fabric and lines. Remember the pilot 7 is mainly aimed at wingsuiters but it can also allow you get to a larger canopy into a small rig but don't skimp on reserve size.

As to flying styles I don't have enough jumps on my 137 pilot 7 to compare in detail to my 140 pilot.
Pilot 7 has a slightly steeper trim and at my wingloading (~1.3) its responsive with lighter front riser pressure than the pilot.

I bought a used rig with a 210 ZPX that I was told had about 150 jumps on it. It did look very close to brand new. I put over 700 jumps on it and it was still in good shape when I sold it. I have no way of knowing if it was worn more than a ZP would have worn under the same conditions.

I did purchase a 190 ZPX to replace it, showing I am not worried about the ZPX wear. My 2 cents.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

rifleman

So basically if I buy the 210 in ZPX the container would be sized for a 190 allowing me to eventually downsize to a 170 if required while retaining a 220 reserve. Cool.

Yes - having a ZPX canopy enables your container to have 3 different canopy sizes.

I have an Icon NextGen I5 - started with a 188 ZPX and now fly a 168 but i can go down to a 150 with the same container. My reserve is a 175 smart.

I personally found no difference in the ZPX compared to the ZP except pack volume.

Loved both canopies.

Where in the UK do you jump ?

I did several student jumps at Tilstock but had problems getting past dummy pulls then had to take a lot of time off because of family complications. A relative just passed away recently and myself and my brother are looking likely to be the main benificiaries of the estate. Now that the other problems are sorted I can start jumping again but I'm going to do AFF instead of SL.

Can't travel abroad. I'm a full time carer for my wife and she's a no-fly on doctor's orders as she's had two arterial thromboses in the last few years. Unfortunately, some of it is down to medication she takes for other medical conditions so overseas is out.

rifleman

Can't travel abroad. I'm a full time carer for my wife and she's a no-fly on doctor's orders as she's had two arterial thromboses in the last few years. Unfortunately, some of it is down to medication she takes for other medical conditions so overseas is out.

Then I highly recommend doing Aff in the UK :)