shadeland

Plastic Canopy Storage Bags

I get mine from a friend who works for an aircraft engine servicing company. Lots of their parts come in high quality heavy plastic bags that are great for canopies. Various sizes for different uses. Up to ones large enough for whole rigs.

You can find them online as well. But usually you need to buy at least 100. These look like nice canopy bags, but who wants 250 of them?

https://www.amazon.com/Elkay-Plastics-60F-1824-Density-Clear/dp/B00JC9Y0IS/ref=sr_1_2?srs=7488134011&ie=UTF8&qid=1508723632&sr=8-2&keywords=%226+mil%22

More selection here

https://www.uline.ca/BL_110/Uline-6-Mil-Poly-Bags
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Yeah, but that only works when the canopy is attached to risers and packed in a d-bag. For those cases when you need to lug around a canopy not yet on risers and/or without a bridle/dbag/pilot chute attached (or even better, one that's supposed to be freepacked), those PD bags are too small. Best to use a transparent plastic bag. Transparent because a clubmate of mine once had his canopy stored in a standard dark grey trash bag in anticipation of selling it. Until his wife took out the trash... :S:S

I don't really know where to buy them, every option that I see sells them per box (100+).

most department stores here in AU have something like this. I use them in the loft for long term storage of canopies as well

https://www.bigw.com.au/product/space-bag-vacuum-seal-roll-up-6-bag-combo/p/8231557/
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

mxk

Why transparent? I would want something that blocks UV light. As far as I know, a clear plastic bag is not going to do that without some special treatment.

I guess they could be opaque. Most of the bags I've seen used in this purpose are transparent, and the closets/drawers/bins do the job of blocking the UV light.

mxk

Why transparent? I would want something that blocks UV light. As far as I know, a clear plastic bag is not going to do that without some special treatment.

IJskonijn

Transparent because a clubmate of mine once had his canopy stored in a standard dark grey trash bag in anticipation of selling it. Until his wife took out the trash... :S:S

Keep it out of the UV light by storing it somewhere not in direct sunlight.

take a rectangle of zp/sail/whatever, fold 2 corners, then roll that side to make a sleeve for the drawstring. Fold in half and sew the other 2 sides and put in the drawstring. Done. Nice bag that will last and you wont get the crazy looks. Feel free to add whatver tapes or designs you feel necessary... Super easy and takes 20 min to make... probably less time than youve already spent looking for glorified garbage bags....
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

Just at the grocery store.

There were clear trash bags, both brand name and generic, in a couple different sizes. The boxes had a couple different counts, mid-twenties to forties.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

The ideal storage bag for a canopy is transparent. Of course the bagged canopy is always kept totally out of the sunlight or any other bright light source.

Why is a transparent bag superior? Because you can, (and should) fold the canopy so the placard is on the outside. That way, when looking at a bunch,( or even one) of bagged canopies you can see at a glance what canopy is in the bag. Drive you nuts seeing a bunch of canopies on a shelf packed in opaque bags. What canopy is in this bag? What canopy is in that bag? .....