verticalflyer

Spectre 120 reline with Vectran

PD generally won't offer a lineset for a canopy unless they've done a lot of testing with the material/mod changes. Spectre re-line with Vectran isn't requested often by customers so slim chance of it happening. If you really want to have it: find a rigger willing to build you a lineset or get the measurements and do it yourself. My experience with relining a Silhouette with Vectran has been all positive, but PD will tell you it's a bad idea and that you are assuming the responsibility of a test jumper.

Cheers,

-Harry
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

Recent experience with vectran on slinks has significant early wear on the fingertrapped loops at the slinks, where they slightly overlap each other. I had a couple that had maybe half their fiber gone, and because it's where they're crowded together on the slink, I didn't see it until I took them off the slinks when I got a new canopy. Maybe 200 jumps on these lines. No other visible issues in inspecting the rest of the lines.

I would have been unhappy to have had one break

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Why don't you try HMA Technora lines instead? It is trim stable, lasts bit longer than vectran and it is not so abrasive to slider grommets,...

Technora is actually the name of the High Modulus Aramid that we use today in most applications. Stating "H.M.A." like saying "plastic" when they are so many different types of plastic.....

There are three basic types of "HMA":
Kevlar (type 49), Technora, and Twaron

Also, not actually true that it always lasts longer than Vectran. It depends on a lot of different factors like DZ environment, sunlight (UV), and packing area. Technora is very UV sensitive BTW.
Both Fibers are equally dimensionally stable and since the Sabre II has SS grommets, the use of Vectran would not be an issue.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Technora is actually the name of the High Modulus Aramid that we use today in most applications. Stating "H.M.A." like saying "plastic" when they are so many different types of plastic.....

There are three basic types of "HMA":
Kevlar (type 49), Technora, and Twaron

Also, not actually true that it always lasts longer than Vectran. It depends on a lot of different factors like DZ environment, sunlight (UV), and packing area. Technora is very UV sensitive BTW.
Both Fibers are equally dimensionally stable and since the Sabre II has SS grommets, the use of Vectran would not be an issue.

I know, that you are one of most knowledgeable riggers and I respect that.
But, after reading your post I get a feeling like I said something untrue. But I didn't, you only told more detailed story (as I was to lazy to do so) ;).

HMA/Technora is also softer and I think that it would create similar friction to slider grommets as spectra (and this way one could get similar opening as with original spectra lineset).
This is only my opinion and preference. I like HMA more than vectran,...

But, after reading your post I get a feeling like I said something untrue. But I didn't, you only told more detailed story (as I was to lazy to do so) ;).

Sorry, my post was not meant to be demeaning. It was meant to be more of a public announcement if you will.

But at the same time, by stating Technora will last longer than Vectran; that is not always a true statement. If people like yourself state this all of the time, people will start to believe that is the absolute truth.

Take the name "HMA" that people are using everyday incorrectly. The real name is Technora. People have been saying HMA so long most people do not know the true/real trade name like they do for the other line mediums.

For example:

Dacron- Polyester
Spectra - Polypropylene
Vectran- Liquid-Crystal Polymer
Technora - High Modulus Aramid

MEL

masterrigger1

People have been saying HMA so long most people do not know the true/real trade name like they do for the other line mediums.

I'll throw the blame at the manufacturers who never want to tell us what they're actually using especially when it is new to us.

"We've got the fancy new Microline, or ZP, HMA, or our secret-sauce low bulk fabric...."

Compare that to paragliding where, as I'm sure you know, they tend to tell you more details about what you're getting. It may be a material that is new and unknown or older and well understood, but they tend to tell you what it's called.

This for example is what I saw when I just went and clicked on a manufacturer's page for a paraglider:

Leading Edge Skytex E44 - Everlast, 42 g/m2
Upper Surface Skytex E3W - Universal, 32 g/m2
Bottom Surface Skytex E3W - Universal, 32 g/m2
Ribs and Diagonals Skytex E29 - Hard, 40 g/m2

Lines main
Edelrid Aramid 8000/U-090, Ø0.8 mm, U-130, Ø1,0 mm, U-190, Ø1,2 mm, U-230, Ø1,3 mm*
Lines middle
Edelrid Aramid 8000/U-050, Ø0.5 mm, U-090, Ø0.8 mm, Liros Dyneema DC 120, Ø 0.8 mm*, DC 100, Ø 0.7 mm
Lines top
Edelrid Aramid 8000/U-050, Ø0.5 mm . Liros Dyneema DC 100, Ø0.7 mm *,DC 060, Ø0.6 mm, DC 040, Ø0.5 mm
Lines Brake
Liros Dyneema DC 040, Ø0.5 mm, Edelrid Aramid A8000/U-070, Ø0.7 mm, U-090, Ø0.8mm, U-190, Ø1,2mm, N-300-024, Ø2.5mm

I'll throw the blame at the manufacturers who never want to tell us what they're actually using especially when it is new to us.

Absolutely correct. They want to sell you a "new" Kool-Aid;call it something different while still using the same product as before.

For example, PD calls their standard suspension line "Microline". They are the only ones that use that name in the industry.It is merely the same stuff all of the other manufacturers use..Spectra.
Another twist is that they also call it 825 lb line material. It is in fact only 725 lb material, not 825 lb. But 825 sounds better..right?

MEL

Back on topic, you can have the spectre lines in vectran or as PD refers to it "HMA". It is a special request. They don't carry it stock because it wasn't originally developed for it. I've installed several line sets like this for customers and they loved them.

-Michael