piisfish

Helmets and protection

I am aware that skydiving helmets are mostly considered as "low protection", camera/audible supports, ear warmers...

But helmets like for example the Cookie G3 have D3O linings.

Are there any other helmets with "protective" linings ?

What would be the actual protection ?

How does it compare with, for example, ski helmets ?

Any helmet manufacturers posting here ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

The problem is that D3O really doesn't offer much in the way of "protection". It's a "non-Newtonian" fluid (more or less) that is squishy until pressure is applied and then stiffens up.

Which is not what you want in a helmet liner. Once it stiffens up, it will transmit, not absorb the impact.

To the best of my knowledge, the only helmets that offer much for impact protection are the Pro-Tec and the Benny (which is Skysystems, which isn't makig them anymore AFAIK).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I have four ski helmets and there are no standards. A carbon racing one, is a single layer of carbon with a fabric liner. Two others are poly-carbonate with a thin polystyrene foam liner, some protection.
One is unknown plastic with a soft foam/fabric liner.

IMO you need a layer of compressible Styrofoam to absorb impacts.Most cycling helmets are built this way with protection starting at 10 cm of compressible Styrofoam. i.e. the hard white stuff that you can push your finger in if you push really hard.They are designed to deform permanently to absorb impacts with the helmet. A hard shell will prevent perforation of the head/skull to the limits of the strength of the shell. But do not necessary absorb impacts that would cause concussions.

The testing of motorcycle helmets include perforation and absorption of impact due to perforation of the shell. Plus a energy absorbing liner. Testing standards for these include ECE, DOT and Snell.

Having said that I really like the carbon one. Its stupid light. Like 540 grams.

Phil1111

IMO you need a layer of compressible Styrofoam to absorb impacts.Most cycling helmets are built this way with protection starting at 10 cm of compressible Styrofoam.

I think you mean 10 mm.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

SethInMI

IMO you need a layer of compressible Styrofoam to absorb impacts.Most cycling helmets are built this way with protection starting at 10 cm of compressible Styrofoam.

I think you mean 10 mm.

Yes, 10 cm would be a whole lot of protection. Something overprotective soccer moms might like.

Dear readers,
My gut feeling is that helmet design has improved while other skydiving risks have declined. So now we need to review current helmets to determine if modern helmets better protection than older helmets.

I want a shell hard enough to prevent penetration with a liner that will collapse slightly faster than my brain.
No I do not want a carbon fibre shell. CF may be stronger than most other materials, but when CF shatters it strews nasty little carbon splinters all over the crash site. If you think carbon splinters are bad for your body .... think about all the weird and wonderful ways CF splinters can short-circuit your electronic gadgets!!!!
How many of you are old enough to remember the first Gulf War? Can you remember how the first wave of Coalition bombers carried carbon fibres to short out Saddam's communications?

I have narrowed my choice of open-face helmets to three:

Bonehead X-Sport
Cookie Fuel.
Tonfly ICE

Tonfly comes with a variety of European and American safety ratings for other sports. Is Tonfly worth the extra money?
Which shape of head does Tonfly fit best: short and wide ..... or ...... long and narrow (horse)?

riggerrob

No I do not want a carbon fibre shell. CF may be stronger than most other materials, but when CF shatters it strews nasty little carbon splinters all over the crash site.

Carbon Fiber has been uses for Motorcycle Helmets for decades and i have never heard of carbon fiber shattering and that causing issues. I believe if the force is strong enough to shatter carbon fiber (and not just crack) your brain would already be reduced to a red meaty mass with white skull fragments in a regular skydiving helmet.
There is a reason why glass and carbon fiber helmets are the better choice for helmets than regular plastic shells.
It also does not loose as much strength over time as other plastic materials do.

riggerrob

If you think carbon splinters are bad for your body .... think about all the weird and wonderful ways CF splinters can short-circuit your electronic gadgets!!!!
How many of you are old enough to remember the first Gulf War? Can you remember how the first wave of Coalition bombers carried carbon fibres to short out Saddam's communications?

Not sure if this is really relevant, the carbon fiber in a helmet is surounded by non conductive resin. Getting to get the resin off the carbon fiber the only possibly way i have heard of is pyrolyse and that is not happening during an accident. :-)
I could see issues with titanium in your skull as well if short circuiting is an issue. I wonder how that is prevented in surgury if conductivity is an issue? Slightly off topic now...
If it does not cost anything you are the product.

Good rebuttal.
I will stop worrying about post-accident damage caused by carbon slivers.

Let's move your last point to the forum for disabled skydivers. If a titanium plate short-circuits your brain, you probably suffered such a massive skull fracture that you are already dead.

On a related note: is the stainless-steel plate in my knee a risk for short-circuiting my brain? Do I need to insert more than half of my leg?
How do steel plates relate to head-up-the-ass syndrome?
Hah!
Hah!