councilman24

7-34 timing complete wacko

Okay, I have NOT tried to look at this and fix it yet.

I got a VERY good deal (about 15% of the value when fixed) on a 1947 7-34 that went through Keystone sometime in the past. The seller had got it for 'crafts' but had never used it. G. to V.G condition, no rust, a couple of thread guide disks missing. Needs oiling and I expect it to run fine. Cycles fine now.....

except....

The feed dog feeds backwards (no it doesn't have reverse) and the feed dog 'feeds' when the needle is down.:o Something is obviously assembled backwards, 180 degrees out, etc. I have 7-33 I can compare to. But again I haven't TRIED yet to sort it out. I expect that maybe without but for sure with comparison to the 7-33 it will be obvious.

But, does anybody, also know as MEL:P, know off the top of their head exactly what the hell they did to this? It may have been the guy I bought it from. He's a retired vet self-described mechanic with too much time on his hands. He bought this to do the glove and wallet kits they gave him at the I assume the VA. The leaf spring was missing until he pulled it out from under the machine and said he took it off. He very well may have decided he needed to take more apart. When this is fixed and with a couple of small parts it will likely be a very good machine.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

But, does anybody, also know as MELTongue, know off the top of their head exactly what the hell they did to this?

Yep.
You were all over it anyway.
The feed eccentric is out about 180 degrees.
It is in "permanent" reverse until you rotate the eccentric back into correct timing.
The way a machine with reverse works is that the reverse lever simply flips the eccentric 180 degrees when you depress the reverse lever.

If you have a Singer 7-34 parts manual look at plate 9633, part #11367. This is the eccentric. Simply set the stitch length for the longest stitch possible. Loosen the two set screws and rotate the eccentric about 120 degrees. Snug the screws down. and check the feed. Repeat as needed.

A correctly set feed eccentric can be checked like this. Cycle the machine and watch the feed dog. Just before the needle contacts the material, the feed dog should already have been at it's highest point and starting down into the machine, not moving forward or backward.

The main objective is to move the material before the needle makes contact and not to move while the needle is in the material.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com