dacota46

Safety stow Size

Hello

I am looking for the size of the safety stow of an Infinity I-11SN.

After viewing some of the posts and replies:

I have emailed the manufacturer with the serial number of the rig and there is no response. I tried calling and the number on their web site can not be reached from my calling area. I am a Master Rigger

I'd appreciate any help.

if you look at chutingstar, you'll see that most rigs (mirage and RI seem to be the exceptions), most manufacturers have one size safety stow for all containers. so, if you have an infinity of any sort, it should have the same size as you need. As i understand it, a safety stow is a TSO'd component and you're not supposed to make your own.

not helpful perhaps, but there ya go.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

If they don't answer their email, phone them. The number is on their web page under "contact us". Or do the dirty. Measure the distance between the grommets and make it between 1.5 and 2 inches longer. Make the sewn section section 1 inch smaller that the grommet distance. You can do this because someone on the internet told you it would be alright.

I'm more than a little surprised that someone who lists themselves as a Master Rigger is asking a question like this on the forum.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

***if you look at chutingstar, you'll see that most rigs (mirage and RI seem to be the exceptions), most manufacturers have one size safety stow for all containers. .......
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Except RWS/UPT who have one size Safety Stow for solo Vector3 containers and a larger SS for tandems.

For a more productive thread, let's compile a list/chart of Safety Stow lengths for various rigs. To keep this list/chart serious, only measure new Safety Stows, recently arrived from the factory. Lengths published in manuals are another reliable source of SS lengths.

For a more productive thread, let's compile a list/chart of Safety Stow lengths for various rigs. To keep this list/chart serious, only measure new Safety Stows, recently arrived from the factory. Lengths published in manuals are another reliable source of SS lengths.

Well okay then Rob. From my supply cabinet of factory supplied replacements:

First number is length of loop. Second number is sewn section. All inches.

UPT small 6, 3
UPT large 7 1/2, 3
Javelin 6 3/4, 3
Dolphin 7 1/2, 2 1/2
Sidewinder 6, 3
Wings 6, 2 3/8
Talon 5 1/4, 2 3/4

Use at your own risk
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I am outraged. You are a very cocky lady!!!

Too bad you have not read the whole post. I can't call them because I can't reach them.

The dirty method belongs to dirty riggers not to me. If there are posts on the forum which you do not like please feel free NOT to reply.

Thanks for the reply. I just got through to Kelly on her private email and she sent me the following measurements:

The finished length of the safety stow should be 5.5”. We cut the bungee at 12.5” long, and overlap the ends 1.5

Thanks for the lengths of the other manufacturers.

dacota46

Thanks for the reply. I just got through to Kelly on her private email and she sent me the following measurements:

The finished length of the safety stow should be 5.5”. We cut the bungee at 12.5” long, and overlap the ends 1.5

Thanks for the lengths of the other manufacturers.

Kelly Farrington is male.;)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

gowlerk

Or do the dirty. Measure the distance between the grommets and make it between 1.5 and 2 inches longer. Make the sewn section section 1 inch smaller that the grommet distance.

And you will probably end up with a safety stow that is outside of the spec for the reasons outlined by Tom Parker here and here.

mxk

And you will probably end up with a safety stow that is outside of the spec for the reasons outlined by Tom Parker

Nice digging for info.

So basically the Javelin folks say they test each roll of bungee material they get, because there is variation, and they check not just the length but stretch after construction.

Well.
One find all sorts of variations in used safety stows out there.
Like all stretched out over the years. Or ones that are super tight because the reserve uses bulky Dacron line. Firebird uses some extra skinny, stretchy stow that seems rather light. Wings have their own stow material that's a bit different that what the others use, maybe a little stretchier (not sure offhand). Still, most companies all use similar bungee and sizing concepts (relative to the length between the grommets).

Plus of course the tightness depends on the canopy vs. bag size, and how the rig was packed (such as to what degree the safety stow holding part of the bag is scrunched together).

And the same stow systems hold the weight of reserves from 99's to 360's.

So there is a lot of variation in the field. On the one hand I don't like to see crappy stows, on the other hand the stuff that's out there often does the job even if nowhere close to factory spec.

A rigger sewn stow might not perfectly match factory strech specs (even if it matches length after sewing), but it may be a lot better than what was previously in the rig. FAA rules are another thing!

gowlerk

Measure the distance between the grommets and make it between 1.5 and 2 inches longer.

Shlomo Pearl* had a set of reserve inspection / packing / maintenance tips that were presented at the PIA at some point. In them he suggested +1" compared to the grommet centerlines. (When the fabric is pulled taut of course) (Wings are an exception though.)

That +1" does tend to produce a pretty tight stow however, so I can see the numbers you suggested also working. Just providing someone else's opinion.

* Apparently Master Rigger I/E; 10k+ jumps; "RIGGER" on dz.com.

pchapman

***Measure the distance between the grommets and make it between 1.5 and 2 inches longer.

Shlomo Pearl* had a set of reserve inspection / packing / maintenance tips that were presented at the PIA at some point. In them he suggested +1" compared to the grommet centerlines. (When the fabric is pulled taut of course) (Wings are an exception though.)

That +1" does tend to produce a pretty tight stow however, so I can see the numbers you suggested also working. Just providing someone else's opinion.

* Apparently Master Rigger I/E; 10k+ jumps; "RIGGER" on dz.com.

Just to be clear. I have never done this. Not even once. I just made up those numbers off the top of my head. They just make sense. On the other hand, I actually did measure in stock factory replacements for the real numbers I posted. No one is really supposed to make them. Not even MRs. But I'm sure many have. We've all seen examples of questionable stow loops.