NvyZero

Expired cypres in a riggers rig

It looks to me like you want to see AAD manufacturers as evil corporations focused on squeezing every dollar out of its customers. While I agree that they are in the market to sell units and make money, not to make friends with skydivers, I think you underestimate the complexity and costs of reliably extending AADs' life past the manufacturers stated lifespan

OK, I'll ignore that part then.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

>As I said, they are in business to sell units.

Of course - as all businesses are.

>No one has properly investigated expired units

How do you know this? From my conversations with Airtec they have done a LOT of work on timed-out units to see what ages, and how it ages.

>as the company has successfully pushed the line that they will no longer function.

No, the company has said the exact opposite - that they do NOT stop functioning, and that continued use is up to the user. To be specific - "After this 12,5 years, of course, the CYPRES will still work but from the liability side of view, we as the manufacturer can not provide an extended warranty anymore. . . the use of the CYPRES after the 12,5 years is up to the user himself or the regulations of his country."

>Its the throwaway culture in action.

It is the opposite of the throwaway culture. Cypreses last a lot longer than Sentinels used to.

[Not replying to anyone in particular]

A 12.5 year old Vigil may last have been inspected 12.5 years ago. Or 20 years ago at 20 years age.
A 12.5 year old Cypres will normally have been factory inspected & component tested only 4.5 years ago.

How likely are either to be in spec and not fail on the next jump? What can and can't factory testing catch when components age? Even if one's failure rate is more than the other, are the rates still "acceptable"?

AAD component aging related questions don't usually have easy answers.