Josef97

Wings reserve flap problem.

Hi, i have wings w11 dom 2007 with pdr160 in it and since the my rigger packed the reserve, the reserve flap would go out always, he knows about this problem and packed it several times but the flap goes out every time, now i dont live in the US so its not that simple to just send it to wings...
Is there any suggestions that could help?
Thanks.

I would ask the rigger to try again. Or have him ask for help/advice from another rigger familiar with the Wings.
And please adjust your main loop length.

Edited to add: I am a Wings owner and a rigger
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Josef97

Hi, i have wings w11 dom 2007 with pdr160 in it and since the my rigger packed the reserve, the reserve flap would go out always, he knows about this problem and packed it several times but the flap goes out every time, now i dont live in the US so its not that simple to just send it to wings...
Is there any suggestions that could help?
Thanks.

I have a customer with exactly the same problem. Wings suggested to replace the reserve pin cover flap. That's a major repair and if you choose to go this way, make sure you pick an experienced master rigger, or send it back to Wings.
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

I have seen an extension added to the flap in a case like this. It was an ugly job but served its purpose. Factory unapproved but taken care of locally.
(As long as the flap still slips out of the lower flap pocket smoothly as normal...)

Edit: Wings W10, with a Tempo 170, which might have been slightly overstuffing it (I haven't checked the data)

I had a customer of mine that bought a too short wings for his body and flap was always coming out when tighting it. I took his measurments according to Wings chart and their answer was to ship the harness back to make it fit to yoke and MLW lenght. Looks like that to me.

Not at all. Already had to use mine in a sub-optimal position and it worked fine. At each inspection and repack, I try to pull the freebag in different angles and it seems to work without hesitation
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I have this problem all the time with my Wings, DOM 2005. Set the rig on the floor with the bottom of the container down. Grab the flap and pull it down HARD. Mine comes down another inch. Then, tuck it in. I have to do this every time I pack. Seems to stay put until I open.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

That's a reserve packing issue; not a wings container issue.

Look at picture number three.

Your reserve is pushing up at the top of the container and pulling the tab out every time you bend over.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

That's a reserve packing issue; not a wings container issue.

Look at picture number three.

Your reserve is pushing up at the top of the container and pulling the tab out every time you bend over.

It does look like too much in the top of the ears. Wings are funny. You MUST fill the ears, and the manual will say so. If you don't the p/c will not seat nicely. But I have found that you don't want to stuff the very top too much. They are a bitch to get just right.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

The rig was made for a girl, and its a bit small fit on me...
I read all your comments and i try to make a decision...
My options:
1) go to another rigger and maybe he will pack it magically and the problem will disappear... Or not...
2)buy 143 reserve and replace the 160 so the reserve wont be tight and it maybe get solved.
3)send it to the manufacturer and it will take months to get back plus shipping and taxes costs...
4)new wings container in 1800 dollars??

i had 2 out from a wings, the reserve flap was always coming untucked. the rig was sized for me. you know how i fixed it?
i got a vector. ive never been a fan of that short tiny tuck tab covering my pin. now my pin is covered by a flap that closes in the opposite direction and actually gives protection. good luck. it wasnt worth it for me.
piece of mind goes a long way in this sport
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

BKS60

Looks like the ears on the bag may be a bit full. "See if the riggers on here with more experience agree".
May help to give more tab to tuck in.

Ok here is an quick update.
Working with a fellow jumper who is practicing for his riggers ticket and has a wings with a similar issue.
We took time to fill the ears but not overfill, and kept am eye on the ears while closing. Still had less than an ideal amount of tuck afterwards. So took a packing paddle and lifted pressure on the top flap while pulling it down. This allowed the nylon under the flap to slide down and gave a big increase in the amount that tucks in.
Hope this makes sense.if not I can post a few pics.
"You don't get many warnings in this sport before you get damaged"

BKS60

***Looks like the ears on the bag may be a bit full. "See if the riggers on here with more experience agree".

Working with a fellow jumper who is practicing for his riggers ticket and has a wings with a similar issue.
We took time to fill the ears but not overfill, and kept am eye on the ears while closing. Still had less than an ideal amount of tuck afterwards. So took a packing paddle and lifted pressure on the top flap while pulling it down. This allowed the nylon under the flap to slide down and gave a big increase in the amount that tucks in.

So basicly you had a paddle under the top flap when pulling it down?

BKS60

***Looks like the ears on the bag may be a bit full. "See if the riggers on here with more experience agree".

Please post the pics so we could undrstand better, thanks.

Yes, paddle under the top "closing" flap. The cover flap has a liner that goes under the top closing flap and the paddle allows that liner to slide down easier without bunching up. It lets the cover flap pull down lower adding a good bit to the tucked in portion. It also made a lot of improvement to the aethetics of the top of the rig after closing.
Had not thought of this until this thread and looking at a rig afterwards.
Not having any luck posting pis but it's a simple process.
"You don't get many warnings in this sport before you get damaged"