mbohu

BevSuits Polycotton & Booties

Hi!
I'm a fast falling jumper and am looking at getting Bevsuits polycotton suit with swoop cords to slow me down. I've been mostly jumping my tight vertical suits freefly suit which I got for the tunnel, and depending on who I jump with it is often too hard to slow down on belly jumps.
I am wondering about the booties option. I like the idea of more control and power for turns, etc, but only have 60 jumps (but quite some tunnel time) Are booties going to make some things much more difficult for me at that level? (I assume the additional power will need more fine-tuned control of my body in freefall)

What about landing with booties? Are they inhibiting in any way? Do I need to slip out of them under canopy?
When looking at them it seems to me that I can't point my toes, so when I land would I still be able to set down the balls of my feet first to run out a no-wind landing, or do I have to land so perfectly that I can set my entire foot down without too much force?

I'll ask some people who know me better and are jumping those suits at my dropzone, so they might have more specific input, but I'm wondering what people here suggest for a low-jump number guy who likes belly-formations and quick, controlled turns (at least in the tunnel)

Get a suit with booties. The extra power will be nice and you will adjust to it within a couple jumps. If you are concerned about how they will impact your flying, do a solo or a 2-way with an experienced jumper for your first jump with it.

I slip my booties off under canopy on most jumps, but that's to protect the booties from wear more than anything else. You should be able to point your toes in them if they fit properly.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

mbohu

I am wondering about the booties option. I like the idea of more control and power for turns, etc, but only have 60 jumps (but quite some tunnel time) Are booties going to make some things much more difficult for me at that level? (I assume the additional power will need more fine-tuned control of my body in freefall)

Booties are for FS, you do know that, right? If you do FS, get an FS suit, but that suit will be dedicated to FS only. Booties and grippers make it impractical for other stuff.

As for practising, yes, hopping in the tunnel when you get it is a good idea, though depending on your skill level, a couple jumps might be enough to transition you well enough. Hard to say without knowing you. You will want to practise in the tunnel to dial the precision in though.

What about landing with booties? Are they inhibiting in any way?

Not really, no.

Do I need to slip out of them under canopy?

No. Some people do have a preference for that, or want to save them from wear, but it's in no way required.

When looking at them it seems to me that I can't point my toes, so when I land would I still be able to set down the balls of my feet first to run out a no-wind landing, or do I have to land so perfectly that I can set my entire foot down without too much force?

You just land as normal. While they limit the maximum extension of your foot a little bit, that is really minimal and inconsequential for landings. A properly sized bootie will be fully taut right when you point your toes.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

mbohu

Hi!
I'm a fast falling jumper and am looking at getting Bevsuits polycotton suit with swoop cords to slow me down. I've been mostly jumping my tight vertical suits freefly suit which I got for the tunnel, and depending on who I jump with it is often too hard to slow down on belly jumps.

What about landing with booties? Are they inhibiting in any way? Do I need to slip out of them under canopy?

I'll ask some people who know me better and are jumping those suits at my dropzone, so they might have more specific input, but I'm wondering what people here suggest for a low-jump number guy who likes belly-formations and quick, controlled turns (at least in the tunnel)

Don't worry about booties. You will get used to them quickly and landing with them is not an issue. As for swoop cords, they do offer some help slowing down, but can also create issues when turning points because they activate when you reach and that can be a problem during sequential work.

I don't know if Bev offers it, but Tonysuits has an option for arms and legs that are lined with a heavy fabric that causes them to "puff up" rather than flap freely in the wind. This creates artificial surface area and does a great job of slowing fall rate. Other things I suggest to create a neutrally slower fall rate are extra large (competition) grippers, back of arm grippers, inner thigh grippers, and large booties made from cordura or even better ballistic nylon (not the Airspeed "mega-bootie" as they are hard to fly for young jumpers). You can also get vented booties but some people have control problems with them.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

mbohu

You put it on the soles of the booties?

Most people but it on the bottom of the entire booty and half an inch or so past where it is sewn onto the upper part. ( all the leather and a little overlap ) It works great. Booties will basically last for the life of the suit.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.