linebckr83

Beechcraft Pilot Rigs Stolen

Folks mainly in the Midwest (but also those who browse sites like eBay),

Friday while transporting 2 rigs from Textron Aviation to get repacked, my truck was broken into and they were stolen. If you guys could keep an eye out I'd appreciate it. They should stand out pretty well. Happened in downtown Wichita, KS.

Butler HX500/24. Serial 6144 and 6244
Olive green color, configured for static line. Bailout oxygen tank and CRU-60 oxygen connector. KAP-3P inside.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

Seat packs or backs?
I do get a lot of Butler pilot emergency rigs. I will watch.

To defeat ownership rights of subsequent purchasers...you must report these assemblies, (actually the owner has to) as stolen property with local law enforcement; with as much detail as possible. If a rigger finds these rigs, local law enforcement there has to do the confiscating, based upon the actual owner's detailed description and proof of his ownership and the filed stolen property report. The more detailed the description, the better. The owner must file the report, along with your report too. The owner must also provide his proof of ownership in the report - and contact information. That way, when the rigs turn up, all will be ready to go.

dpreguy

Seat packs or backs?
I do get a lot of Butler pilot emergency rigs. I will watch.

To defeat ownership rights of subsequent purchasers...you must report these assemblies, (actually the owner has to) as stolen property with local law enforcement; with as much detail as possible. If a rigger finds these rigs, local law enforcement there has to do the confiscating, based upon the actual owner's detailed description and proof of his ownership and the filed stolen property report. The more detailed the description, the better. The owner must file the report, along with your report too. The owner must also provide his proof of ownership in the report - and contact information. That way, when the rigs turn up, all will be ready to go.

Is this true for my sport rig? It should but there seems to be a disconnect once its a sports rig.

Jump more, post less!

No difference if you need the stolen rig confiscated from the subsequent possessor. (Assuming the possessor is ungentlemanly and doesn't want to say he is sorry and give it back; asserting it is now his property because he "found it in a ditch", "had it given to him", "bought it online" or wherever story he gives.)

It is a crime to knowingly possess stolen property, and there is a legal presumption that the present possessor knows it is stolen.

Example: If you find the gear, (1000 miles away in a different state) how are you going to get it? Grab it by force? If your buddy sees it at a boogie or something, and sends you a picture by phone, what do you do? Ask your buddy to grab it by force?

Nah. If you had a local police report filed you just tell the person who spots it to contact you. You then telephone the police agency where it is found and refer them to the stolen property report you filed. The police agency where the rig is found will use your local original report description to identify it. If the description matches, he will confiscate it and hold it and question the present possessor about how he is in possession of stolen property and if the person is uncooperative may, and probably will, arrest the present possessor. (Probably take into custody and threaten to arrest if the present possessor doesn't explain fully how he came to have the property.) This is absolutely legal police procedure because of the legal presumption that the person who is in possession of stolen property knowingly possesses it. The rest of the story just plays out in a normal investigative fashion. If arrested, or if threatened with arrest, based upon the presumption of guilt, the present possessor is HIGHLY MOTIVATED to reveal where he got it. If he asserts he is honest and unwitting, he will readily identify the person he bought it from, (it may be a chain of sellers and buyers)...etc etc and finally, in theory, the true thief may be found out. Each rats out the previous guy. All may be eventually arrested or some may be considered to be unwitting - depends.
That's how it works.

So, think twice about buying a $5000 rig online for $100 because the prosecutor, to support the presumption that "you knew, or should have known" the gear was stolen will use the disproportionate price paid compared to it's value to validate the presumption. Especially if the price is so low it is fishy.

Bottom line: ALWAYS get a bill of sale from the seller, listing the seller's name and address or driver's license number and have the seller sign it. A bill of sale form always states the seller is the lawful owner. Or make one of your own, but include the language that the "seller is the lawful owner." It can be on a piece of scrap paper or on the back of a napkin. Have him sign it.