JerryBaumchen

Cutting Table

https://www.inventables.com/technologies/x-carve?gclid=CIO_odn8x8cCFQIEaQodHU4I5g

An example of what could be done. If you look at vinal sign cutting technology you'll see some of the soft ware you might need. If you have a directional knife then you have to have an axis to rotate it along with the soft ware like the sign cutter. If it's just an omni directional pin point that a plotter like this is all you'd need

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Here is a similar blog on PD's laser table. http://blog.performancedesigns.com/pds-laser-tables/

Its interesting to see who uses which type of cutter on their canopies. Not sure the speed difference but based on experience both seem to do the job very well. PD uses the laser to do a dot system instead of using a marker like Strong does for panel markings.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Hi Eric,

PD's laser table

Earlier this year, I had a nearly all-day tour of Airborne Systems facilities in Santa Ana, CA.

Their canopy cutting table is very short compared to Strong's 78 ft table. The Airborne table is about 5 ft long but it moves with the canopy fabric as the fabric is coming off of the bolt/roll of material. The table's surface is continuous & moves on two rollers so that the table cutting surface can match the fabric speed as it comes off of the bolt.

As a small 1-man shop who cuts each part by hand using posterboard patterns & a hand-held hot knife, I am somewhat envious.

:P

Jerry Baumchen

H Quag,

to get me a domestic-sized laser table at a reasonable cost

My friend, who sent me the link, is a local Master Rigger who has been thinking about how to build a small table that could be used to cut Cordura for containers.

When someone develops such a table, I think that they might just sell a fair amount of them. Just think of all of the mfrs who use Cordura/ParaPak; and I am not talking about the parachute industry.

In fact, I'm thinking that it would come from the non-parachute industry and then spillover.

Jerry Baumchen

There are literally hundreds of DIY cnc routers built and being built. All the mechanics and software are compatible with our industry, just need to replace the router bit with a hot-knife (laser is bit advanced for DIY designs and safety issues are harder to handle)...

I'm fairly sure I could build one for less than thousand dollars if I really wanted to...

For anyone in Southern California, Apex BASE happily gives shop tours to skydivers and BASE jumpers. We're about 15-20 mins from Skydive Perris.

Our cut table runs the entire length of the shop and is a joy to watch in action. =)

If you're in the neighborhood feel free to come check it out.

www.apexbase.com
Apex BASE

I've played with lasers for quite a number of years. There are chinese cutting tables that can be had for not too many dollars. Cheap and good and safe are completely different issues. If you want a safe laser table, it's going to have a lot of extra safety covers and mechanisms to protect your eyes and such. The smoke coming off the unit is also considerable, and if you've ever walked past UPT, you can hear the high speed fans from 1/2 a block away.

The laser tubes and optics are expensive and the cheap ones don't exactly last that long or work that well. Quite simply, it takes wattage and good optics to get a decent feed rate and consistent cut. While I wouldn't class it as impossible at all for the home person to cobble together a table, the devil is in the details and there are a lot of considerations people don't always think about.

-Michael

Blis

There are literally hundreds of DIY cnc routers built and being built. All the mechanics and software are compatible with our industry, just need to replace the router bit with a hot-knife (laser is bit advanced for DIY designs and safety issues are harder to handle)...

I'm fairly sure I could build one for less than thousand dollars if I really wanted to...

I dunno about $1000. I'm in the process of building a 4'x4' cnc plasma table for cutting metal. The steppers and controllers are about $1500.

The website referenced CNC zone with the" New Machine Build- 16' x 5.5' Fabric Cutter/Plotter". Is very good with lots of threads and many helpful members.

Phil1111

***There are literally hundreds of DIY cnc routers built and being built. All the mechanics and software are compatible with our industry, just need to replace the router bit with a hot-knife (laser is bit advanced for DIY designs and safety issues are harder to handle)...

I dunno about $1000. I'm in the process of building a 4'x4' cnc plasma table for cutting metal. The steppers and controllers are about $1500.

The website referenced CNC zone with the" New Machine Build- 16' x 5.5' Fabric Cutter/Plotter". Is very good with lots of threads and many helpful members.

Last time I checked (couple weeks ago) 4 stepper drivers and nema motors came around couple hundred, drop in a controller and mach3 license and you're looking at 500usd or so...

Obviously plasma table is much more demanding becouse of the required accuracy, arc control and enviroment (hf start is very nasty to low grade stuff)...

If you wanted you could draw a fairly linear curve with one axis being money and the other being performance. After that it's simple matter of getting components that fit your performance and budget envelope.