jbelanger86

AFF in the cold months? Im in NC

So i fell in love two weeks ago and I want to start AFF on sat. My second tandem was amazing because an AFF instructor took me up and basically let me do all the work.

The question is.... Is it a good idea to do it in the cold? Ill probably still do it, Im just wondering about everyones take on the subject.
I might be a little obsessed....

with the new high-tech fabrics it's easy to dress for the cold . when I started deer hunting 20
years ago I had to look like the Michelin man to stay warm 😊
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

From a student standpoint, the worst problem is jumping less times in a week or a month, makes the learning a bit slower. You need to be able to jump more than once a month to be a jumper that is "current". If you are not current, you have to have extra training to be current again.

If you live close enough to the DZ to go there on days when you might not jump because of weather, you can take time to learn from your instructors when no one is jumping and everyone is less busy than in the busy season.

I worked on my student program during the winter (in Arkansas). I see no reason to wait. We have windy springtime, so waiting for Spring is not always good. There were days when we had to wait for the temp to get warm enough the instructors would feel it was okay.

Talk to the instruction staff about it, before you commit. See what they think about it, including their rule for temperature and use of gloves. Some instructors don't want you wearing gloves while a student, so it needs to be warm enough that your hands can still function well.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

skydivingchad

You're in NC, that's not cold.

"Cold" is relative. I'm gonna guess that she thinks anything below 50 or so is "cold." :P

OTOH, I live in Wisconsin. You can tell it's really cold around here when people go outside and do Middle School level physics experiments to see how cold it is (really - at -20F, a cup of boiling water can be tossed up and come down as snow).

To the OP: One thing this place can be good for is just looking around. Go back through the forums and see what thread titles look interesting.

One that is applicable to your question:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4864403;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

jbelanger86

So i fell in love two weeks ago and I want to start AFF on sat. My second tandem was amazing because an AFF instructor took me up and basically let me do all the work.

The question is.... Is it a good idea to do it in the cold? Ill probably still do it, Im just wondering about everyones take on the subject.

Its a good idea to wear clothes.....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

obelixtim

***So i fell in love two weeks ago and I want to start AFF on sat. My second tandem was amazing because an AFF instructor took me up and basically let me do all the work.

Its a good idea to wear clothes.....

Or not.

http://www.thesans.org/

Jeff is a really interesting fella.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

skydivingchad

You're in NC, that's not cold.

I was raised in Indiana. I know the cold here is not comparable, but i think when we moved here my body decided that it didnt wanna be that cold again, therefore making me a cold natured person, hell idk.

30 degrees at altitude isnt something that interests me but when you find something you love..... I signed up for level one on Saturday and im so mad at the weather! It didnt look like this yesterday and Im hoping that by Sat, it changes. All week its supposed to be sunny and in the 50s. Saturday its partly cloudy with rain and thunder, but its gonna be 65 and only have 10 mile an hour winds! ugh.

I dont think naked skydiving is my thing, hell i didnt even know it was a thing lol. I hope its a joke.
I might be a little obsessed....

30 degrees at altitude isnt something that interests

That's normal summertime temps at the top for us. Harden up! The last time I jumped in NC it was the middle of February. It was awesome because Paul Fayard had the CASA running for us at Louisburg. Seriously, people in your part of the world just switch from shorts and tees to sweats and long sleeves. Probably a heavier jumpsuit as well.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

jbelanger86

***You're in NC, that's not cold.

I was raised in Indiana. I know the cold here is not comparable, but i think when we moved here my body decided that it didnt wanna be that cold again, therefore making me a cold natured person, hell idk.

30 degrees at altitude isnt something that interests me but when you find something you love..... I signed up for level one on Saturday and im so mad at the weather! It didnt look like this yesterday and Im hoping that by Sat, it changes. All week its supposed to be sunny and in the 50s. Saturday its partly cloudy with rain and thunder, but its gonna be 65 and only have 10 mile an hour winds! ugh.

I dont think naked skydiving is my thing, hell i didnt even know it was a thing lol. I hope its a joke.

I recall seeing an interview with Roberta Mancino and she stated that skydiving naked in the cold was painful. So maybe wait until warm weather for the naked jumps.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

jbelanger86

***You're in NC, that's not cold.

I don't think naked skydiving is my thing, hell i didn't even know it was a thing lol. I hope its a joke.

Cold is relative, and subjective.

Something to keep in mind is that the lapse rate is about 3.3 degrees per 1000'*. So it's going to be somewhere near 45 degrees cooler at altitude than on the ground.

But you won't really feel it. You are only in it for a short time, and you will be so focused on the jump that you won't notice it.

I've jumped when the temp at altitude is well below zero. No real issues.

Dress for it and you will be fine. The thread I linked above covers it fairly well.

And yes, Jeff and SANS and naked jumping are very real (link is potentially NSFW).

Jeff holds the record for consecutive months with at least one naked jump. In Wisconsin. Well over 10 years worth. As far as I know, he is the uncontested holder of that record, mainly because he's the only one who attempts it.

Don't worry if it's "not your thing." As a married woman with kids, it wouldn't be surprising if you turn down any invitations. But don't be too surprised if those invitations appear.

*The temp decreases at approx 3.3 degrees F per 1000' under "standard conditions." This is called the "Average Adiabatic Lapse Rate." In the real world, it can vary quite a bit, depending on a lot of variables.

wolfriverjoe

But you won't really feel it. You are only in it for a short time, and you will be so focused on the jump that you won't notice it.

^This

I started in July. As the weather turned colder I started dreading the cold at altitude. Turns out, you feel it more in the plane getting to altitude. Once you leap out, you don't even notice it.

jbelanger86

A lot of people escape the winter cold by going to Florida DZs. Jumpers from all over the world, in fact. It's quite an experience. If you get half a chance go to Zephyrhills or Deland or some place. It'll open up a whole new aspect of the sport and be lots of fun.

GoGoGadget

^This

I started in July. As the weather turned colder I started dreading the cold at altitude. Turns out, you feel it more in the plane getting to altitude. Once you leap out, you don't even notice it.

That's how I've felt jumping in the UK in December - freezing on the way up but totally fine once I'm out the door, where I have other things to think about that are far more important than the temperature.

I'm assuming all the above temps are in Farenheit as 32 is pretty hot by my book... but I've happily jumped on days that are 4 degrees C on the ground (39F) and at drop altitude of 12K is around -20C (-4F). Even with an open face helmet it's still perfectly fine jumping.

Just keep in mind that extra layers really help - I go with 2 pairs of socks, 2 t-shirts + a hoodie under a jumpsuit, a buff to cover most of my face and gloves with seperate liners. Nothing special and no thermals, stuff you'll have to hand without spending extra - it's still plenty flexible for doing AFF skills (turns/backflips etc) without any trouble. Getting a good set of gloves helps though - pulling at 6K with the gloves provided by the DZ led to freezing hands by 3K on my AFF jumps, so good gloves are a must.

dthames

From a student standpoint, the worst problem is jumping less times in a week or a month, makes the learning a bit slower. You need to be able to jump more than once a month to be a jumper that is "current". If you are not current, you have to have extra training to be current again.

If you live close enough to the DZ to go there on days when you might not jump because of weather, you can take time to learn from your instructors when no one is jumping and everyone is less busy than in the busy season.

This. It took me 4 months to get 7 levels done (partly because of poor weather, partly due to repeating levels) but mileage will vary. It's still worth heading down to your DZ even if you're unlikely to jump just to pick up tips from instructors.

Personally speaking, I'd stick to the same DZ until you've completed the A Licence - I chose not to mix it up as different DZs have different rules/landing patterns/hazards which can be significantly different to what you've learned - what me be best practice at one DZ may not be a another.

I'm in NJ and in the same situation. I've completed 3 tandems, one of which I failed.
For me I'm choosing to hold off because I have another 30lbs to drop before I'm comfortable jumping every week.
To me you should not let the cold alone stop you, eventually most people jump in cold conditions <40F. Plus I don't think it can be as bad as riding 50 miles on a motorcycle approaching freezing temperatures

I jumped today and here in Belgium it was around 7°C (44°F) at ground level.
When I saw the pilot later that day I've asked him how cold it was at 13500ft and it was -21°C (-5.8°F). But I didn't even feel it, only my fingers a bit after landing. I wear thin mountainbike gloves ;)

Bob_Church

***So i fell in love two weeks ago and I want to start AFF on sat. My second tandem was amazing because an AFF instructor took me up and basically let me do all the work.

A lot of people escape the winter cold by going to Florida DZs. Jumpers from all over the world, in fact. It's quite an experience. If you get half a chance go to Zephyrhills or Deland or some place. It'll open up a whole new aspect of the sport and be lots of fun.

This is exactly what I am doing next week as an AFF student in NC. Round trip flights can be had from Durham to Orlando for less than $100 including fees. I am hoping three days at Zephyrhills is enough time to finish the remaining 15 jumps to try for an A license.

mellow82

******So i fell in love two weeks ago and I want to start AFF on sat. My second tandem was amazing because an AFF instructor took me up and basically let me do all the work.

This is exactly what I am doing next week as an AFF student in NC. Round trip flights can be had from Durham to Orlando for less than $100 including fees. I am hoping three days at Zephyrhills is enough time to finish the remaining 15 jumps to try for an A license.

That sounds great, it really does. And remember, even if you can't jump with the more experienced jumpers it's great to get to know people. You'll be surprised at how easy it is to make new friends at these places.