mzr36

Tethers for Hook Knives?

And then there is this: (true story, was all on video years ago at Otay...)

Jumper dumps his main and as it is sniveling, the cheap plastic hook knife which was in a Velcro pocket on his chest strap comes free. As it floats upward and the lines come under tension, the knife cuts 3 of the lines. Jumper has to cut-away and land under his reserve.

Weird shit happens up there sometimes...

dudeman17

Yeah, a guy named Eddie Lira tried one of those back in the late 70's. It came loose in freefall, trailed behind him, caught both his canopies and he went in. Don't do it.

More info, please. How long was that thing and how did it mal both canopies?
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

My experience was back in 1984, when I sewed a Jack the Ripper sheath to the left fore-arm of my jumpsuit. It had the standard snap on a short piece of para cord. The next jump, a jumper knocked it loose as he docked on my left arm. As I reached up to grab my toggles, I nicked my left riser!
I promptly sewed another knife sheath onto my thigh and never had any problems with it falling out.

Honestly, having been in a few wraps in my life, having one more line to deal with while you are hacking away at lines and nylon is not what you want.

The best knives have open handles that you can put your hand or a finger into and are single piece metal construction. Hard to drop and impossible to break.

My choice:
http://www.benchmade.com/8-hook-family.html

ETA: and practice getting it out of the sheath on the ground and in the air (clearing your airspace first). It's not as easy as you think when you are under canopy.
Jump more, post less!

skydiverek

***Has anyone ever used a tether for a hook knife to prevent losing it if you drop it?

Bad idea, as others pointed out. It is better to carry two untethered knives, than one tethered.

Besides... FREE knife for the lucky bastard that finds yours. ;)
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Interesting. I had the same thought and considered using a retractible lanyard on a hook knife. Drop it and it retracts back to the reel and the line to it will stay under tension so you would not be cutting your own tether (I would not think) but I am a newb, so I defer to y'alls experience.

http://i1.wp.com/www.roofingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/gear-keeper-retractor-photo.png

And I still unfortunately see quite a few CRWdogs with tethers on their hook knives...

Yes, losing the hook knife is a potential issue. Been there, done that (I still like to think there's an alligator in Florida somewhere with a headache because of my hook knife). The better solution is to carry multiple hook knives, so you have spares. And while you're at it, carry them at different positions. I have two in a pouch on my chest-strap, accessible from both sides, one on my right leg (sewn onto my jumpsuit) and one under the left mudflap.

And when in doubt, remember the CRW-dog reason for carrying 10 hook knives. ^_^

IJskonijn

And I still unfortunately see quite a few CRWdogs with tethers on their hook knives...

Yes, losing the hook knife is a potential issue. Been there, done that (I still like to think there's an alligator in Florida somewhere with a headache because of my hook knife). The better solution is to carry multiple hook knives, so you have spares. And while you're at it, carry them at different positions. I have two in a pouch on my chest-strap, accessible from both sides, one on my right leg (sewn onto my jumpsuit) and one under the left mudflap.

And when in doubt, remember the CRW-dog reason for carrying 10 hook knives. ^_^

I normally have one on my chest strap and one in my knee pocket. During CReW I have one on my shoe.

Bob_Church

***On your shoe? Seems like that could be problematic for the people docking on you!

I put the holder under the laces, no edges to catch.

(sorry... mental image... had to share...)

Which explains why there was a shoe falling past you during the wrap as he slices the laces clean while reaching for the knife. :D

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...