shaun1010

is it safe to downsize from 230 to 190 ???

billvon

>First, get over the idea that there is an age limit on reserves.

There effectively is one. Many riggers won't pack reserves that are over 20 years old, resulting in a de facto age limit.

(Not interested in a debate on whether or not that's a good idea; for the purposes of this thread, it's a good thing to keep in mind.)

I think it may be time for a poll of riggers on this one.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

shaun1010

i did get a rigger to look at the harness for me , was not a full inspection but i looked it over and a few instructors gave the thumbs up regarding harness size too

any gear i use will be fully inspected before using but i did not with the main/reserve before buying as it was free

You should do just fine with this container for a first rig. It will hold canopies that are appropriate for your weight. The only problem is that you may want to do a few more transition jumps on rental gear first. You are going in the right direction, you just need to find the best road to use. BTW I'm 60 years old. I also am not jumping gear that is older than me. But I would have no problem with gear older than you!

At my weight the difference between 210 and 190 was quite thrilling, very fun, but you just know you have to really pay attention. Everything moves a lot quicker. You come from the sky much faster.

As someone told me... it's not a problem when you are high up, you could fly a 120, it becomes a problem when you start to come close to earth. The biggest difference I noticed in landing was the little surf. There is no more stabbing the canopy or you Will get pulled back up and fall to the ground from a couple of meters. This is the point where you have to start fine tunning your approaches. I have 1.3 load at 190. The jump from 230 to a 190 is quite large in my experience as I jumped it last just to warm up for my first 190 skydive. :)