20_kN

Disadvantages to the 'alternate' bridle routing method?

Fairly long, as designed for that rig :). It's the Vector-style flap order, where the grommets are not intended to overlap with the correct length of closing loop. Instead, the stitching on the side flaps lining up with the pin protector pocket is a rough guide. I know it looks excessive, but the pin really has enough tension in there.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

Deimian

I jump a vector. My flaps overlap way more than that. It looks to me like the loop is way too long. Have you checked with your rigger?

His side flaps look pretty similar to the manual image to me. (I am not a rigger.)

UPT Vector manual main closing loop image.JPG

KBUDA

I don't know if the same rules apply here, but it's a common understanding with BASE rigs that pin orientation itself is not what matters. What is important is the relationship between the pin retainer tab and the pin. If the retainer tab is attached on the side of the eye opposite the point of the pin, the force of the bridle can actually press the point of the pin into the container and prevent the pin from extracting. Here's a few pictures showing the proper relationship between pin and retainer tab. Ignore the smiley face/frowny face part, and focus on what an applied force would do to the pin in each orientation. In the bottom picture, a force applied perpendicular to the jumper's back could potentially drive the tip of the pin into the container. You can test it yourself by orienting your pin the incorrect way and picking your rig up by the bridle. It's not guaranteed to hang up, but I can easily pick up my BASE rig by the bridle with the wrong tab orientation, and it has fairly loose closing loops.

http://www.watchthybridle.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Pin-and-Pin-Tab.pdf

I noticed that some manufacturers have an improper pin to pin-tab relationship by recommendation. For example, my Aerodyne rig shows the pin routed with a smiley face in the manual. However, when pining the rig closed that way, the PC would rotate the pin down into the container before pulling it open due to how the pin tab is sewn on the bridle. I am curious why a manufacturer would recommend that when it seems obvious it's a wrong relationship.