IamAdam

Any SAFE full-face helmets out there?

kallend

The full face skydiving helmet is more of a fashion statement than a safety device.

I think most people aren't making fashion statements. They just prefer not to have the wind in their face. (Something that I don't understand myself)

I agree. Full face helmets may have been a fashion statement 20 years ago but now they are just mainstream.

It's all a matter of risk/benefit analysis, and it will be different for different people doing different disciplines.

I used to pooh-pooh full-face helmets until the day I was in a formation that funneled and I left toothmarks on someone else's container....made a believer out of me. I went right to ParaGear and bought a Parasport Italia Z1. And yeah, full-face helmet not be cheap but just as in motorcycling - how much is your mug worth to you?

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

markharju

I used to pooh-pooh full-face helmets until the day I was in a formation that funneled and I left toothmarks on someone else's container....made a believer out of me. I went right to ParaGear and bought a Parasport Italia Z1. And yeah, full-face helmet not be cheap but just as in motorcycling - how much is your mug worth to you?

mh

Agreed, people like to say "not as good as a protec" but really they don't know, because a lack of testing means no one knows, they might be almost as good, and in some weird way might be better. Kick to the face or on the mouth/jaw? I'll take any full face on the market over an industrial hard hat/ballistic helmet/protec/ etc open face any day :S

If you're suffering head trauma skydiving to the point impact rating matters, good luck to ya.

(I also enjoying knowing that a number of people who disparage full face helmets and lack of impact rating probably jumped a frap hat for a decade)