abyumper

blind jumpers?????

this probably sounds stupid, but when you say transplants do you mean full eye transplants?? I've never heard of that before, didn't even know it was possible. Do you have normal vision now with your "new eyes"?

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

this probably sounds stupid, but when you say transplants do you mean full eye transplants?? Do you have normal vision now with your "new eyes"?

I actually meant corneal trnsplants. My bad eyesight was caused by a condition that warped the cornea. I was never totally "dark" blind, everything was just way out of focus and I lost my depth perception. Gave me the bad habit of occasionally walking into door frames and counter corners, and meant that in freefall I had trouble reading my altimeter.

It's been just over a year since my first transplant and I have like 20/40-ish vision in that eye. It's been about five months since I had the other eye done and it's like 20/60-ish. Both eyes should also change for the better once they remove the stiches. The docs are hopefull that I will eventually have vision that's correctable to 20/20.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

I have talked with Dan and John, the two blind skydivers who made their 2 way jumps the same weekend that the deaf skydivers made their world record jumps. We are working on plans to set up a Handi-Capable boogie for Lake Wales in October or November 2005, 2 years from now. This will include deaf, hard of hearing, blind, legally blind, amputees (Pieces of Eight), and for lack of a better word, deformed skydivers. We will be planning multi-disability jumps with a combination of some or all of the above types. Sure, the Deaf skydivers will still do their biennial world record attempts, but we're hoping Pieces of Eight will go for their record again, even though POE already has their event scheduled next fall.

In short, it's going to be a major media event and hopefully, fundraiser for disabled charities.

Blue Skies
Billy Vance
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Sonny Yates was a sky driver in the '60 who went blind after about 200 jumps. He contacted Carl Boenish to film the jump for a Life Magazine article. The jump took place at Elisnore, California in about 1967. It was a planned 30 second delay from 7500 feet. It was an easy decision to have Sonny exit first as the base for a three way formation. Kevin and I closed the three way formation and Carl Boenish got the shots he wanted. The plan was for Sonny to count to 30 and then pull his ripcord regardless of what was going on. Sonny told us after the jump that he had counted to 35 before Kevin and I released him. His opening went fine. The ground crew was able to talk him in with the radio Sonny had. The landing was perfect. I believe Sonny made a few other jumps, but I can't remember for sure. A big story broke in Vietam and Life Magazine pulled the blind jumper article.
Garth Taggart SCR-38

We have a great guy that comes out every once in a while to Perris to do skydives. His group seems to do quite well with him and they turn a few points on each dive. BTW, he's blind. He's got a radio that ground can communicate with to let him know how his chute is opening, and where to steer. His landings are usually better than sighted landings.

I have done some six ways with Blind John. Its great to see that big smile on his face in free fall.

He carries two radios, has a huge canopy and dumps at five grand. He started out sighted but lost his vision and has done lots of jumps (dont know how many) blind. Its a little wierd when someone brings his seeing eye dog out to meet him when he lands ;)
---------------------------------------------

Randy

He carries two radios, has a huge canopy and dumps at five grand. He started out sighted but lost his vision and has done lots of jumps (dont know how many) blind. Its a little wierd when someone brings his seeing eye dog out to meet him when he lands ;)

What?? You mean he doesn't take his dog with him on the jumps??? :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I have talked with Dan and John,

That I would have loved to have seen. You can't hear and they can't see.

Sparky

No kidding! Dan and John screaming at me and one other deaf skydiver, maybe John Woo, and we're signing "PULL YOU WANKERS!!" :D:D

or as another friend joked "and a skydive went dead wrong, news at 10:00"... :D:o:S:$

Edited to add: actually, I talked with them via email. ;) Makes me wonder how they use computers...

Billy

Has anyone heard of blind people jumping....when....how high etc?:(:(

I have photo's taken in 1967 of a blind man walking back to the packing area with his PC "S" folded in his arms while Bob Chaffin and Jerry Schrimsher guided his way. From what I was told he did a static line and Bob and Jerry followed him out and flew around him and yelled at him when to turn. No radios, just their voices. He is supposed to have been the first blind person to ever jump in Texas?
Got to appreciate those Pioneers, the things they did, some smart some not so smart.

There are old sydivers, there are bold skydivers, but you don't see any old, bold skydivers.

I have talked with Dan and John,

That I would have loved to have seen. You can't hear and they can't see.

Sparky

No kidding! Dan and John screaming at me and one other deaf skydiver, maybe John Woo, and we're signing "PULL YOU WANKERS!!" :D:D

or as another friend joked "and a skydive went dead wrong, news at 10:00"... :D:o:S:$

Edited to add: actually, I talked with them via email. ;) Makes me wonder how they use computers...

Billy

I have known and jumped with John since the early days before he lost his sight. At one POP's meet, a 5 way scrambles, we were on the same team. Took 2nd. place.

Just think of stepping out of an airplane and not being able to see. On top of that, John is one hell of a great guy.

Speaking of yelling. I sat in on one the video debriefs for the deaf record attempts at Perris. Tempers flared and you guy were yelling at each other, you could hear a pin drop.:P

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Speaking of yelling. I sat in on one the video debriefs for the deaf record attempts at Perris. Tempers flared and you guy were yelling at each other, you could hear a pin drop.:P

Sparky

:D:D:D
Yeah, John and I were trying to point some things out on the video and everybody's going ape-shit...

So, which one were you? Granted, I was not a regular poster on here until earlier this year so we didn't know each other then. Got a pic on Perris' website to see if I recognize you?

Blue Skies
Billy

There is a gent in New Zealand named Greg(?) Stubbs (nick is "Stubbs-y") who, when I was jumping with him, had 30% of his natural vision. Basically - no direct/frontal vision - pretty good, but hazy peripheral vision.

He had over 1200 jumps when I jumped with him, and man - that dude could FLY HIS ASS OFF!

He was doing advanced four-way, but much to the humour of those jumping with him. He went off colours of jumpsuits for his slot...so if he couldn't find the right colour - he would circle the formation until he found it...then do a sharp 90 and take his slot. Too funny if you were in the base waiting for him!!:D:D

He was jumping actively when I left New Zealand 4+ years ago, and I *hope* is still jumping.

To look at him in a group situation, you wouldn't know he was blind, and to see him fly or land, you couldn't tell, but talking one on one with him - it was obvious.

Great guy, excellent skydiver, and inspiration to many! B/w Stubbsy and BV - I'd say that there is little that would stop me from recommending skydiving to ANYONE!

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Kiwi, RB #926, AFF-I, FAA Snr. Rigger, RN/BSN/Paramedic