slotperfect

Tandem Instructor Poll: Instructor Jumpsuits

Alright, I only have about 50 tandem jumps, so I'm still the newbie here...

I tore nice hole in the butt of my FF suit (bit and baggy FF suit) sliding in one of my first tandems, so I went out and bought a pair of Motocross pants. Not your typical ones, though.

They're not the tight, tuck in your boot type of pants that you're used to seeing. These are baggy, straight-legged pants, but are constructed out of some very tough material . Thus, problem solved for sliding in tandems.

As for control. I haven't had a problem with it, I wear a short sleeved t-shirt and haven't had any problems with that either. I've found that the majority of my power for turning/controlling comes from my legs anyways.

The TM I/E that taught my course, though, almost always wears street clothes (mostly shorts and a t-shirt, we ARE in Texas, ya know:P). He's done that for the majority of his tandem jumps and has over 1000 tandems (if I remember correctly).

When I talked to him about that during my rating course, he said something along the lines of "well, I would wear your FF suit to start with, that will help you out a lot. Once you start getting used to the environment/how to fly tandems, then you can make a decision about what to wear."

Attatched is a pic of me doing a tandem that shows the pants I'm talking about fairly well.

Here's a link for a random shop on the web (and no, I didn't pay nearly as much as this shop has them for!) Shift Squadron Pant
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I wear a large floppy jumpsuit with no booties. As I said in the helmet post, I have 20 "real" tandems under my belt.

I wear the floppy jumpsuit because I'm a freeflier and that's what I'm used to. I also want to add to my surface area for more control. We are currently suffering, I mean enjoying, a heatwave here in the UK. I'd love to wear as little as possible but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable doing that until I have a few more under my belt, with regards to control in freefall. Some of the experienced tandem instructors have recommended booties to me for more control with the legs leaving the arms more free, but not being a belly flier I wonder if they'd do more harm than good? I'm thinking of getting a pair of BirdMan Pantz and wondering whether I could use them with tandems, but in these hot, no wind days, I'm sliding them in (more to save my back than anything - idea for another poll perhaps?) and don't want to ruin an expensive pair of trousers like Dave! The suit I use is older and I don't mind if it gets torn. One other thing, on our course we were recommended to wear jumpsuits as it appears more professional and it makes the student more comfortable when you ask them to wear one.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Yep, (again I'm a newbie to TI, too, 63 tandems)

I have worn both RW (w/o booties) and a really cool circa 1970's style baggy.

Here's how I work it and it's just my opinion and I am by NO means an expert.

I started wearing the RW suit because it felt more comfortable to me. It seemed to fit good and allowed me enough control. Then, I started flying the 70' style. I really like the look of it and we always make a joke about how "We are falling back in time" kinda deal. lightens the mood a bit for the nervous tandem student.

I like the 70's style because it feels good. I can definately tell the difference in control and movement.

"Whatever makes you comfortable and allows you to control the tandem jump is what works best!"
Bill Carter

I wear a Bev freefly polycotton suit, with re-enforced knees and butt. It is three years old and it has held up really well. It is kind of baggy on me and I prefer my students in a tight jumpsuit. I want to be the one with the feathers.
I will on occasion, if it is really hot, and we are busy I will jump in freefly pants and a t-shirt.

How do ya like it Johnny?

I wear my "working" jumpsuit. It is a Flite Suit and is baggy with leather on the seat and inside the leggs. the top is poly cotton and the bottom is ultralite Tuff - Some stuff that Ray Farrell picked up.

Very comfortable and works great..

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

I wear whatever I care the least about. Let's face it, tandems can be very hard on what we wear, plus the occasional puking passenger!

When I first started doing tandems, I also went to the "Baggy 70's" style suit. A far more experienced TI suggested to me that the suit would actually hinder things, and that I should just outfly the student. It works.

I've also learned to "dress for success" with the video folk. Consider fall rates when picking your suit and the passengers. Work with the vidiots! They will either make you look good or not!

I wear a standard Tony Suit, polycotton, nice and baggy for lots of control.

I am curious to see what the majority of fellow Tandem Instructors wear?

Feel free to post your tandem jump experience and (gulp) opinions if you like.

A male pilot is a confused soul who talks about women when he's flying, and about flying when he's with a woman.

Not really -- I have 23 tandems (including cerification jumps). I borke my leg on number 23, last year, and haven't done one since. Of course I still have an opinion on jumpsuits...;)

I'm little, so I wear something big and floppy so I can grab some air.

What I wear depends on the size of the student, video, no video, the landing area, what the student choses to wear, temprature, who is shooting video and the winds.

I have several options from a jacket for head up on light passengers with video all the way to a super baggy freefly for the really large students to nithing at all for level 2 and 3 tandem progression so the student has more control.

547 tandems

Just my 2cents

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

I wear my oldest Michigan comp four way suit with booties. I got over being scared of being overpowered on a skydive by a larger student on my ninth tandem ever. The six foot niine, 275 pound guy I took out of a Cessna 182. I did that juimp in my old skysurf suit because I was scared of getting taken for a ride. It ended up being completely smooth, so after that I just went back to my bootie suit. I am happiest with that because it is what I am most used to on "regular" RW dives and it's also what I do AFF in. On tandems, I steer with my feet. If someone tries to take me for a ride out the door I don't fight it, instead just letting them take me over or head-down for a few seconds until I have enough speed built up to stick out an arm and get flat to throw the drogue.

The suit I normally used is nearly seven years old now, but I just keep sewing up the booties when they get worn out. If I had to trade it for anything new, it would be a comp RW suit bottom (Michigan Kinfe Edge) with a cordura ass and knees. I don't need a top in the summer, so a T-shirt is fine. Another option would be the "farmer john" overall type comp suit that Tony is now making. I saw them at WFFC and thought they were the shiznit.

Peace,

Chuck

I bought a bomber freefly suit after I got my Tandem rating. I got reinforced ass and knees and it has lasted me for several hundred tandems with a couple of real minor repairs. I like the control it gives me with those "less than perfect students". I have done tandems in a tank top and shorts and there is a noticable lack of authority there.

its damn hor hear but no matter what the temp i wear a home made baggy simmilar to freefly being 5,2 dont help i think all my passengers are bigger than me!.

it,s not just flying over them either, that extra grab you get makes all the diffrence on the video. the cam guys realy appriciate it. so i dont mind the extra bit of sweat.

then again when i jump camera the tand master can wear what ever makes him feel good, (er i mean confident i think) it,s my job to be there not dictate the fashion i could be making his job harder.
blue sky sand and sun.

Personally, based on my size 5'6, I wear a baggy suit made by Tony suits and one made in Indonesia-Paration (USD60). They both have lasted me for the last 1000 tandems and they are great for control during exit and when having videos and also on the Handcam. Most of my students are usually smaller than me which gives me control. Once, I had a student about 5'2 doing a tandem, landing onto the beach in Bali and me dressed in shorts and t-shirt. After exit, because of her petite size, she started shifting from left to right even though the passenger harness and the horizontal straps has been tightened to fit her onto me. It did not feel good with her being able to "wander" below me. And so, baggy suits are for me from now on. Nothing against RW suits or street clothes, they do the job too, but this is just personal preference and a desire to live for the next tandem.;)

"Make that one jump count for your passenger!"
Remember those who have left us
Cherish those who are still with us, and
Help those who need our help
Life is short, live it!

I'm a new TI and have found that my FF Tony Suit gives me good control when goin' after that stable dive and drogue out of the ol' 182's and when regaining BTE after a good tumble. Haven't done much without it, but since I bought it "off the shelf" in Z-Hills New Years Eve1999 its been a sturdy suit.
The ground stains on the butt set me apart from the rest of the Freeflyers, tho.:ph34r:
Its lasted through training with Jay Stokes and 36 students so far, but I think I'll be needing a more Job specific suit in the near future. Thanks, All, for the input!
Fly through the sky and eat at the Y!

i could have sworn i heard you mention somthing about aproaching 1000 tandems??????

Anyway I wear a medium baggy suit just because it didn't cost much and looks professional. I used to jump shorts and tshirt when it was hot until a bigger guy freaked out on me and made life very difficult for me, my little chicken legs weren't doing shit to stop his input so i wear at least long pants now!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix