pookieland

Team Dumb Ass - Z-hills

I wanted to take a moment out to say thanks to all my friends from Z-Hills that have helped me accomplish my dreams and to the others that push me to understand the sport more and more each day. This is Team Dumb Ass and I hope that you all get a chance to meet them.. I am a dumb ass because I always wanted to fall from a airplane. They are dumb ass's because they have no problem dumping me out of a plane, and this is why we are friends B|. So I want to welcome Team Dumb Ass and maybe one day you too could be a Dumb Ass..

Team Dumb Ass

Kahn -- He is a great guy who I met and became friends with when I moved the Florida. He’s always there to talk too about anything and he has great kids with a good attitude on life. He is the only person I trust to pack my chute besides TK. I know nothing about packing and as I see him do it, I find there is an art and a logic to his madness. ( Rigger / Diver )

Bob -- He is like a best friend and big brother all in one. He is also my stunt double for dumb shit that I want to do. So he tries it first and lets me know what he thinks. If I were his little brother I would be the one getting in trouble because of shit he comes up with. Ya, go ahead and try it you can do it. And as I F- up he's there to pick me up, laugh and say boy that didn't work or boy that was a stupid idea. But the main thing is he is always there when I screw up..?? uuuuummm….that is weird ??? ( Stunt double / Camera man )

Tom -- He is like the father that I never wanted, but should listen to when it comes to skydiving. I don't know what I would do if I didn't see him at the DZ. He always makes me welcome and let's me know how he feels about me when he sees me; Inside joke. He has been around the world with his wife and kids right by his side and he seems to be a great family man, which is kool. ( Wing-man / Driver )

Randy -- He is a simple man that loves to skydive and play music in his own band. I don't have to much to say about him, besides the fact that when I see him I just know I can't die on a day when he's there. He would just laugh and make fun of me in front of everyone whether I was dead or alive, so I choose not to die when he’s around; Inside joke. ( Teacher )

Aaron -- He is like the big brother you want to take with you when someone owes you money. Just him being there will make you feel at ease as long as he's on your side. He doesn’t talk to much, but he knows what he's doing when it comes to skydiving. ( Teacher )

Marius -- He is my ace in the hole. He helps me with my stability and understanding how the wind moves my body when in free fall. He has helped me to understand my hand movement and how it affects my body position even with the sliti's move. He gives me information that only a few people could ( Wing-man / Instructor )

TK -- He is my Best Friend / Mentor, he is the one that has taught me all I know and all I want to be. He is the only one that gave me a chance and stuck by my side through all of this. I have learned so much from him in and out of the air and his knowledge is something valuable and worth knowing. If not for him and his information I would not be the skydiver I am today.. ( DZO / Instructor / Mentor )

Lori -- She is like a aunt or big sis. She is there to talk to about things, but she will also give you her opinion if asked. She keeps me on the straight and narrow and wants me think before doing something, especially when Bob is around; inside joke plus she’s Hott !! ( Teacher )

Sally -- She is like the big sis that I have always wanted. She’s my wind tunnel instructor and she knows things, either you listen or die. Plus she Hott !! ( Wind Tunnel Instructor / Advisor )

Paul -- This is a man that has seen this and done that. He is very wise and has given me information that I will keep always and for ever. He won’t dive with me because he knows things that I’m just not afraid of yet. But I respect him for that and understand how he cares about my well being. ( Class Room Instructor )

Mark -- He is my goo-roo guy. He is there to help me out at anytime. He fills me in on the weather and what I should pay attention to. He’s also a good friend and someone I like to talk to. ( Teacher )

Tony -- He is a kool dude, he’s very soft spoken but an out going skydiver. He understands my dreams and catches it on film ( Camera guy )

I am Pookie, and I love to skydive with my friends. I haven't been to any other DZ's yet, but I am ok with that for now. I have a great DZ and great instructors and people to learn from. SkyDiveCity is my home, and I would'nt change it for the world. Thanks to everyone, bunch of Dumb Ass's
Stop Touching Me!!!

Muff Brother# 4466

OK - All those people you mentioned..... They're the folks who make Zhills what it is and what it has always been. They, and all the others there (for better or worse....past, present and future), ARE Zhills. Now here's the coolest part...... now YOU get to be part of the fabric that makes up the history of Zephyrhills. So, like someone once said.... "Have Some Fun!" (OK, he said it a couple of times) :)

I wanted to take a moment out to say thanks to all my friends from Z-Hills that have helped me accomplish my dreams and to the others that push me to understand the sport more and more each day. This is Team Dumb Ass and I hope that you all get a chance to meet them.. I am a dumb ass because I always wanted to fall from a airplane. They are dumb ass's because they have no problem dumping me out of a plane, and this is why we are friends B|. So I want to welcome Team Dumb Ass and maybe one day you too could be a Dumb Ass..

Team Dumb Ass

Kahn -- He is a great guy who I met and became friends with when I moved the Florida. He’s always there to talk too about anything and he has great kids with a good attitude on life. He is the only person I trust to pack my chute besides TK. I know nothing about packing and as I see him do it, I find there is an art and a logic to his madness. ( Rigger / Diver )

Bob -- He is like a best friend and big brother all in one. He is also my stunt double for dumb shit that I want to do. So he tries it first and lets me know what he thinks. If I were his little brother I would be the one getting in trouble because of shit he comes up with. Ya, go ahead and try it you can do it. And as I F- up he's there to pick me up, laugh and say boy that didn't work or boy that was a stupid idea. But the main thing is he is always there when I screw up..?? uuuuummm….that is weird ??? ( Stunt double / Camera man )

Tom -- He is like the father that I never wanted, but should listen to when it comes to skydiving. I don't know what I would do if I didn't see him at the DZ. He always makes me welcome and let's me know how he feels about me when he sees me; Inside joke. He has been around the world with his wife and kids right by his side and he seems to be a great family man, which is kool. ( Wing-man / Driver )

Randy -- He is a simple man that loves to skydive and play music in his own band. I don't have to much to say about him, besides the fact that when I see him I just know I can't die on a day when he's there. He would just laugh and make fun of me in front of everyone whether I was dead or alive, so I choose not to die when he’s around; Inside joke. ( Teacher )

Aaron -- He is like the big brother you want to take with you when someone owes you money. Just him being there will make you feel at ease as long as he's on your side. He doesn’t talk to much, but he knows what he's doing when it comes to skydiving. ( Teacher )

Marius -- He is my ace in the hole. He helps me with my stability and understanding how the wind moves my body when in free fall. He has helped me to understand my hand movement and how it affects my body position even with the sliti's move. He gives me information that only a few people could ( Wing-man / Instructor )

TK -- He is my Best Friend / Mentor, he is the one that has taught me all I know and all I want to be. He is the only one that gave me a chance and stuck by my side through all of this. I have learned so much from him in and out of the air and his knowledge is something valuable and worth knowing. If not for him and his information I would not be the skydiver I am today.. ( DZO / Instructor / Mentor )

Lori -- She is like a aunt or big sis. She is there to talk to about things, but she will also give you her opinion if asked. She keeps me on the straight and narrow and wants me think before doing something, especially when Bob is around; inside joke plus she’s Hott !! ( Teacher )

Sally -- She is like the big sis that I have always wanted. She’s my wind tunnel instructor and she knows things, either you listen or die. Plus she Hott !! ( Wind Tunnel Instructor / Advisor )

Paul -- This is a man that has seen this and done that. He is very wise and has given me information that I will keep always and for ever. He won’t dive with me because he knows things that I’m just not afraid of yet. But I respect him for that and understand how he cares about my well being. ( Class Room Instructor )

Mark -- He is my goo-roo guy. He is there to help me out at anytime. He fills me in on the weather and what I should pay attention to. He’s also a good friend and someone I like to talk to. ( Teacher )

Tony -- He is a kool dude, he’s very soft spoken but an out going skydiver. He understands my dreams and catches it on film ( Camera guy )

I am Pookie, and I love to skydive with my friends. I haven't been to any other DZ's yet, but I am ok with that for now. I have a great DZ and great instructors and people to learn from. SkyDiveCity is my home, and I would'nt change it for the world. Thanks to everyone, bunch of Dumb Ass's

Great post but TK? Is he really that great? Then there is Kahn... he cant pack worth a shit :D:D

I am of course kidding Z hills is a great place and I am glad you found it and have found skydiving! B|
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

I'm really hoping for some good weather tomorrow morning. It has been raining a lot here, but I know it won't be for ever it seems like it will be. Hope all my friends are staying warm up North it's coming to get you, and it seems to be mess. To all my home town friends in Delaware, DC, Philli, NJ & VA.. Move South it's warmer down here and you don't haev to shovel but it do's get cold enough to remember what it was like to shovel [:/]

Stop Touching Me!!!

Muff Brother# 4466

It is What It is: I missed out on a great weather weekend because of someone from Team DumbAss. Now the reason why is not important, but he is no longer part of Team DumbAss to say the least.The important thing about this is trying to understand who is truly in this out of friendship and because they are a good instructor and who is just in it for money. Now money can make you change your mind about a lot of things and I am not going to dispute that, that's just a part of life. But this person came to Team DumbAss for what ever reason and left me hanging, which really sucked but " It is What It is "
I need another wing man or woman that is an instructor and looking not for just a challenge but for a great time with someone willing to learn more. As you know TK is my instructor, but he is also the DZO and he is a busy man and I need more people to jump with, and there is no other way to put it.
I guess I am soliciting for anyone qualified and your jump ticket is on me..my DZ is Z-hills and if you’re interested please e-mail me at [email protected] or e-mail TK for more info.

OH, this is just pathetic but you know “ It is What It is “
Stop Touching Me!!!

Muff Brother# 4466

1st of all I need to say this is gimpboogie writing-not gravity whore (he's not even in the same country as me! The admin might want to see why this happened-it happened inPST forums also. I haf lent my phone to gravitywhore in sept and oct and now it seems I'm permanently logged on as him if I write with my phone-which I have to kus I'm in the hospital without internet access)

But here is my message from -minna/gimpboogie ok :)

Hey dude! Sorry to learn that you got hosed on the jump.

I re read your awesome "thank you" letter and saw you (have or had? Are they both now gone off "TeamDumbAss"?)
2 wing men- Tom and Marius it said in your 1st totally beautiful message+and so true it takes much more then 1 to be on our teams-my "team" is the "gimp free fall team" :). ).

Yes it sucks when you can't jump- I been there way too often when doing AFF (both years you see I did 3 jumps one year. And my main instructor called it quits-said no more @ that time- I was not mentally focussed with shit going on in life and when I'd flip upside down I now know what a wrong mental attitude I had-I was thinking as I watched my altimeter"this is fun,I got another grand of altitude left to do this" but then I saw the concerned look on Angus as he was coming to catch me-i fell away from him and I dove with just him no wingman except the 1st & last dives that year_but then started again the next year )

So the 2nd time we started again, sure Angus COULDN,T be doing it every weekend it was for a few reasons:

1-he is a tandem master-we got the weekend days often booked so solid for tandems that the tandem "passangers" get trained by one on the ground, then handed to their tandem master who they will jump with-all geared up allready-their TM just gets them and grabs a packed rig on a rack close to where the plane is parked (we hot load all day many weekends) and off they go-each tandem master doing upwards of 20 dives a day-that in itself keeps them so busy sometimes we got instructors teen kids hired to pick up the used gear the camera guys and TM's have to drop where they land, give them bottled water as they runs to the idling plane, his new gear and TM person.

2_Angus is also a AFF instructor-so IF he gets a break from doing TM job he can take an AFF student& there always is those waiting. Even some of the fully paying ones can't get a dive in-one lady took the day off work to hang around all day waiting for her chance @ AFF but he was doing tandems till sunset-it just is that way sometimes-but the next time she came the DZO made sure she was fit in manifest 1st.
So is he going to take me (for free and the DZO also makes no$ just the slots in the plane but wear n tear on gear-until I had my own but even when I had my own I had issues at times-while it was getting a reserve repack I needed to get done in august, and when my AADwent dead-i needed to use student gear)...

OR is he going to do his "job"-which is to work for the DZO and do what's next in the schedule-a fully paying AFF student.

Ioften felt sad also that I would not get to do an AFF jump so I started doing static line jumps. I don't know if they do those or IAD jumps for students OR if all students are AFF there. If they are ALL AFF then maybe it is not another option for you but what if TK can teach a few others to do IAD jumps for you-you won't need anything other then canopy control alone and emergency procedures if you end up with a malfunction off the IAD.

Yas that is why I went to do static lines. I've done over 50 static lines-thats how many times my AFF instructors could not take me for what ever reason-thats lots. But my jumping didn't have to stop just because I could not go AFF. If you like the whole skydive-canopy flight as well, then you could try the other options when you can't do AFF.

IF Marius and Tom are AFF instructors generally (not just there for you) then they have a responsibility to do their jobs for the DZ 1st...then jump with folks like us IF there is time (this is providing your doing like a wasipaying for their slot only-which it sort of seems like it from you message looking for the new instructor/wingman).

Yes it may seem like they chose $ over you (and perhaps they did) but we (or you) do not know all that's going on-in their personal lives (maybe they got a huge new expense they got to pay off, start saving for something special for themselves, or their kids or other dependents-medical costs for a friwend even- their not all going to detail what's happening in their lives. A good example is Tonto-whom if you read the forum of incidents from 2007 +
Oct. You will know he was the 1st to teach "one of us" to dive-well no one really knew that after supporting his own children he had taken it uponn himself to support financially a disabled child and pay for her schooling. He was modest about it so he had extra expenses he had chosen to take on and perhaps worked extra to pay for it).

I'm saying this because it sucks to be on the ground in sunny warm jumping day- and it seems you may not have jumped much at all on your own with AFF but there may also be reasons we don't know about influencing the choices our AFF instructors make.Like responsibility to their jobs @ the DZ (rarely can an instructor decide who they jump with while working usually it is the DZO and manifest who put that days loads together and at our small DZ that's a hard enough job -i can only appreciate how much so now that I live at the DZ and see what goes on full time every day.

Also they may have choices to make which are influenced by their own financial situations. Sure I can look @ my disability income of less then $16,000/yr and say that anyone else working there have more income then me-hell they can make in a weekend what I make in a month but their lives are different also. Kids college to pay for, life, house, vehicle, medical insurance, training costs to upgrade their licences (do you have any idea how much it costs to become an AFF instructor? I don't know but I saw at the wind tunnel 4 guys I know who are doing it and a few od them are TM'S. And 1 said that the AFF training is very expensive- I also had for a room mate (sort of) a guy who did his TM course which was $1500 plus the 25 jumps he had to pay both slots for... They may have done like Tonto, started helping out someone who needs help and now have to find a way to add to their budget that extra $.

I certainly don't want to defend the wingman who let you down, I merely want to toss another perspective into the picture- hoping it helps you to repair your relationship with this guy.

Clearly he's not after $ only kus if he was he'd never start to jump with you (unless your paying the full AFF fee but even then let's face it-these guys are taking a bigger responsibility and risk on themselves when they jump with paralyzed people-the video showed it- the reason one "falls off" is because they are taught to let go-left side guy-during instability that can cause either injury or be dangerous- then TK held you until it was safe for that left side guy to come back-its an AFF instructor method for safety for every AFF dive that starts to get into an area of possible injury to anyone of the 3)

So I also was bummed out often but decided that I was going to jump even if I can't do free fall.So I started doing static line and finally after over 50 of them Angus (as he said to me when I asked him why did he offer to start again-because I was never going to disrespect him so much that I would of ever asked him to re start my AFF again- its happened the same with B.A.S.E. With me, one person said they were not going to continue with me- I respect this person so much I will never beg them to go again and "can we start again" questions- to me it would be as if I thought the person made a wrong decision-so I never asked Angus again-hoped he would start again or I could move to a country where there were those willing to. Start again.)

So Angus said to me he started again because he saw I wasn't going to stop and give up and the static line was no way for me to learn to skydive-so hwe started again.

But when there were no Aff jumping chance I went jumped static line during that time

Hope it helps-think outside the box. :)

Well, I do understand what you mean but that day had nothing to do with him being or doing TM. We had plained to continue earlier on a week day, but there was air space issues out of Tampa. Any way my instructor was right next to me on the deck no jumping we talked and all. But I had come to find out that he had another issue with another DZ which I can't get into. So my thing was if your not going to go all out with me then why join up. It's like giving a kid a cake on there b-day, then saying you can have only one piece of it. Also, I didn't loose everyone which is a good thing. It's just counting on some one that put themself in the position to be counted on really sucks when they are right there not doing anything and I am there as always. It just sucks is the only way I can put it. And I know things come up but the reason he was not jumping was selfish and again I can't go into it. But I would not feel this way or even write about it if it didn't rumb me the wrong way. I'm just not that kinda person.
Anyway, the person that feel of during my 1st AFF was TK. I don't know how he did it but it was all good.
I have had enough jumps to understand that things can happen while in freefall, but that's why were there in the first place. I have'nt done a static line jump yet. It sounds pritty kool, because I also enjoy being under canopy and my landings have been great. I only use 1 instructor now which is TK, which he wants to know with out a doubt that I can reach my hacky with out any problem. I had some trouble, long story with that dang hacky, but I got it down now. My thing is it would be nice to have someone else that knows what I need done when gearing up in the plane. That's the main thing, then just push and I will take care of the rest B|, Plus I would like to travel this year to jump at different DZ's and it would be nice to have a partner to do it with.

My point of writing my post is really just to let some of this stress out, that's all

Stop Touching Me!!!

Muff Brother# 4466

1st, it's a good thing your feeling comfortable enough to vent your feelings when frustrated as well as share your joy when things are going great.
I so clearly remember the count down to your jump and how much joy you had after wards.
Surely that will happen again. :)

Having said that, I feel its important for you to have things set out to a way you can enjoy the skies again :)

Sorry I didn't know which guy "fell off" so I assumed it was the other guy-not TK because he is experienced enough, to not be falling off "by accident"
Yet, just as Angus is experienced enough-it still happened when I went flipped on my back-he "fell off" but as I was watching the training of AFF instructors in the wind tunnel the last weekend in Jan. When I was @ the tunnel...the instructor "pretending to be the student" would go into a unstable high speed spin and the "stuent-AFF instructor-to-be" had to catch him by grabbing on inside of the leg and shoulder of harness to stop the spin, and if the student was on their back, grabbing the farthest side to the sttudent @ hip ring area & flip them back to belly to earth orientation.
The point being these instructors have their reasons for doing things, the way they do it & one of the "safety measures" is for the 1 instructor to let the student go, leaving them with one with them if there is a safety/injury potential @ any stage (except @ deployment altitude-they will pull for you)... Anyways, clearly it happens to the best of them & I have to say that without Tonto here. Angus & TK are among the best "of them"-when you get a guy like them loosing a student its sometimes "just one of those "oops" moments" or a purposeful move.
Watching your exit you guys tumbled pretty much initially-which is why I wondered if the instructor let go for that reason, but like you said-it got better,TK tracked/or delta down to you & the dive continued on well :)

As it goes in this sport, sometimes things just happen & so long as they become well again-all is ok :)

Now I also am disappointed with the fact that you haven't jumped for so long-its tough to be out of the skies-don't I know it! :) early Dec I was in hosp (1st- 12th)& needed to wait till early jan. To get my strength back to jump again-did a few in Jan., went to the tunnel for an hour & came back Mon. Feb. 1st to end up in hosp. Tuesday 2nd and am still here.
Knowing I missed last weekends jumping (with that vintage canopy @ that!) On a day when temps were only minus ten! (That's great winter jumping weather so long as I jump with my emerngy gear pack with me in case of a off DZ landing..sucks to be in here n not jumping & knowing that I am going to get stronger again before I was going to jump again...

Yah it sucks pookie & talking about it surely helps.

I was hoping to encourage you to not give up om your "team dumbass" kus clearly they are exceptional people. And it sounds like an awesome team!

So what ever this situation with the other DZ IS. (Believe me, I've come to learn that such politics can really send coaches etc. Heads spinning-not to forget those who were on their backs get grabbed by the farthest side @ the hip ring to be flipped back.

I hope for you that what ever it is he has with that other DZ is going to resolve.

But actually for everyones safety it was a good thing he didn't jump.
You see for a successaful skydive you ALWAYS need to be emotionally in a good space. He has responsibility to he you up there & with his mind on other problems it is not 100% on the jump.

As for "others" hooking up your gear etc. In the plane, that's not anyones responsibility but yours.Angus would not have let me dive solo finally (without any instructors just go when I want and do a dove of what I want like all those others %@ your DZ (and everywhere) you need to able to care for and do your own gear set up. If its not possible you won't be jumping like Dale-any DZ he wants to.now if you can't, and will always be a AFF STUDENT style skydiver THAT'S OK but do not expect others to dedicate so much of themselves to jump with you always-or as often as you'd like. It would be like asking a pro athlete of any type to be ready to drop their own thing when you show up to work with you because yoi need that support in the sport.

I can see that people wamt you to jump and its evident by how long they have dedicated themselves to jump with you-and not given up on the possibility of getting up there to do a AFF jump.I also hand only one AFF through my whole program the 2nd time we did it and like I said my 1st time was terminated after two attempts where I did not pull alone-so if folks are still willing to jump with you its a blessing.like Dale wrote somewhere (to that thread about landings for a para) IF WE GET HURT IT WILL PERHAPS MAKE IT SO NO OTHER DZ WILL TAKE A CHANCE FOR ANOTHER PARAoops sorry for caps left on I'm writing via my phone at the hosp.

Poopkie u have worked way too hards to have it go down the drain now.

How about during the times you can't jump take in ALL the seminars you can get your hands on?I did my water jump and night jump endorsements although I will never have the license for a night jump-or even if I did may not be permitted to do one because of the critical of para's timing on landing.or get your hands on the FAA RIGGERS COURSE MANUAL its what I read when I can't jump. NOT because I will ever be a rigger, but its learning about skydiving gear, differences in strength of different webbing, even sewing "patterns" and so much more.Angus saif its a good thing because the more we understand about our gear the better,-makes sense? :) I hope.also like you said, I thinbk based on your video youbgot AWESOME landings, and as such are a good candidate for static line jumps.
IF ZHILLS does static line for students-awesome! Do a short seminar explaining how it works and then you can get on any load you want! No need to wait for the wingmen at. All:) you will be your own man, jumping when you feel like it.it would be so much easier for me because I live at the DZ so if I can't get on a load one day, there is always the next day. But 4 you its more important to get on a load during the weekends as tou had hoped.

You mentioned you didn't know why TK let go of you. Knowing it is a part of your learning.Ask him:) he won't llie to you, you KNOW that about TK he's a straight up guy and will give the full goods. He cares deeply about yourjumping-hell I've been told a AFF -to-be coach that he would of given up and bot had the patiene to learn as long as I did. And I did 12 tandems and total of 12 AFF including both yrs . That really hit home on how lucky I am to have had Angus for he did 12 tandems and 5. Of those AFF jumps, that's 21 total (he did some extra "for fun" tandems @ times when I was having my gear @ rigger s& just wanted to jump with him) but I see you got 31 jumps and all of them are with someone from Team dumb ass! That's A LOT OF SUPPORT from these guys n gals.pookie try to be inventive. Ask questions "TK what happened?, why did you let go in that jump?" , "can I try to learn static line or IAD for the times we can't do AFF?" YOUR LANDINGS ARE AESOME DUDE! So if you can pull stable and also remain in an arch on the way out the door so on static line you won't be having your chute open while your upside down then you'd be loving static line since you enjoy the canopy control stuff.Also you'd not only get up to jump you'd be perfecting your canopy control and god only knows what awesome landing methods you'd get 4 yourself-you'll be doing the blind man or something awesome in no time.

It was real good sign your wingman was sitting and chatting with you that day-and perhaps his mind was troubled enough about the other DZ issue he did the responsible thing and not get up in the skies with troubles on his mind.

You deserve a long life time of jumping so start taking responsibility-practice gearing up your leg straps etc. Practice.
I learned to dress my pants once I was more debilitated by this illness then when I was just using the manual chair
-BY A C4 QUAD! Who got himsef in n out of bed without a lift, dresses himself, cuts his finger nails on his own, cuts open his letters, and he can't use his hands below the elbow or his core below his nipples.Infact he was a skydiver who broke his neck in FF in 2003 @ Deland.

Things can be done that looks impossible if we try and try again :)

When I saw what that guy was doing I started thibnking "shit I got use of my arms, I got a hoyer lift, I got SO MUCH more then him so I better get off my butt and learn to do allthis stuff.

Maybe right now this all doesn't leave you feeling better about the missed jumps and perhaps even more so about feeling let down by a Team dumbAss member who at this point you'd like to fire off the team-
- I hope in a few weeks your raw feelings of disappointment and sadness. Over it will subside and you can consider some of the suggestions, seminars in what you probly won't ever need (heck sit in on the theoretical part of the wingsuit course-surely they will let you listen for free knowing you won't be able to toss on a wingsuit and go flocking :), maybe read books on C R W, or anything you can do to pass the time to be a part of the sport while your not jumping.
I took the course to be a judge in skydiving competitions(and my DZO paid for it because I didn't have $ for that)because I wanted something to do for the sport to give back for all those who give so much for me so I can jump. Besides its fun, you get to analyze the videos of the best skydivers performances (judging your friends can be "not so fun" when you know one will win over another. But you just do your job as it is-and how ever you need to do it)

Please pookie your so important to this sport, like a rare engangered inhabitant of the earth! -theres not many of us "paras" or quads (I've technically transformed over to being a quad now from beong a para because I've lost enough hand grip function)...

WE ALL want to see you keep divong. Participaring in the sport and having fun, traveling with TK but while its great there in the skies, find something fun skydiving related that will keep you I want to learn CRW this summer and have 3 instructors eegot videos to watch here in the hspital od CRW and pick the brain of my future CRW coaches when questions pop up in my mind while here.

Lots of safe hugs to you pookie, it will get better!send me via private message an address where I can send you a few suprises that will hopefully give you a smile till the skies give you one ;) brotherly luv to yah!

Hey Mini,

Thanx for the encouraging words. I will never stop skydiving that’s for sure. I work at the VA Hospital in Gainesville, FL and have been working for the Government for 21 years now. 15 1/2 years with the military at Dover AFB located in my home town Delaware and the rest here in Florida. So I stay busy working during the week, so I’m not just sitting around doing nothing. As far as what I was saying about gearing up in the planes, I must have said it wrong or it may have been taken a different way then I meant it. I do everything myself dress eat live drive breath, so I am a very independent person and I do just fine. I have a truck and a car depending on what mood I am that day. So the gear thing, there is 1 strap that is hard to get on and for that I would need help, as far as get around that’s kool also.

The good thing about wanting to continuing to get better is having someone there to do it with and for me that is TK. He is my mentor and a great guy and he will not give up on me, unless I give up on myself in this sport and that an't ganna happen. If he has to hang onto my azz during free falls then it is what it is, he's kool with that and I am also. I respect and value his time to me like it is gold.

And as far as learning more, every time there is a seminar he calls me and I show up, a few times I took off work to drive 2 hours just to sit and listen and learn for 1/2 hour just so I could be better at this, so that I understand. I have been working at this for 3 years and I am learning every time I am there. As far as my landings that is something that I had really focused on even during my tandems, and a few times before my solo TK infact let me bring us down and land, and as you know the passenger lands on the instructors lap. So he trusted me with his azzz, no pun meant but you know what I mean. If I were to screw that up it would infact have done more damage to him then me. So we have trusted each other this far and I think that has a lot to do with our friendship and how far we have come.

Some of the people think I am going to dig in on my landings, but I have to say I am confident enough not to screw that part up. That do's not mean I have a big head or it will never happen. What I am saying is I have been informed and I understand the risk of this sport. TK and I talk about me F-ing up all the time, the point is that if anything do’s go wrong I blame no but myself, and I leave TK with no guilty conscience what so ever because we have been over this time and time again and I know that I may never freefall by myself. And he let me know, if he has to hold on to me from the time we exit that door till the time I deploy that he will be there. And that alone means a lot to me.

I have to be able to count on someone for this and I am ok with that, and that’s just something that has to be. Whether it be counting on someone for information about there DZ or even the weather. I am not too proud to understand that this may never happen, But and I mean But, I have a chance to change things if not for others then for me. Because there is someone I can count on and won’t give up, just because.

I also understand the RISK and if I didn’t see the whole picture then I don’t think he would have come this far. I am very educated by the people at my DZ and I do things the smart way and never cut corners, the only bad thing or I could say a good thing is “ I am a DumbAss…and Proud of it….:o

Never say Never just say that didn’t work…..LoL

Keep Fly’n Mini cause I amB|

Stop Touching Me!!!

Muff Brother# 4466

Hey pookie,
Glad you wrotw back so soon kus its boring here in the hospital :)

I think there's some misunderstandings from that last post.

I was never referring to your life outside of the weekends @ the DZ (THUS YOUR HOME AND WORK LIFE) I just assume everyone who skydives works full time because its so expensive-most of us have to. Buy our own gear etc. (Except Dale is very good with public speaking & marketing & somwhow hw was offered free -sponsored gear-which is happening to me occasionally but with some email showing up offering me free sunglasses so long as I wear only them-no problem I will wear what ever is passed my way :) ) but what I mean most of us do not have that skill to be so well versed and speak in ways people want us to be paid for talking_well actually a long time ago in 2001-2003 I was given $500 "honerarium" for coming to teach in conferences what it is like to have autism-yah I have autism-but that would be like some paying to have you talk about what its like to be paralyzed.

So sorry if you got the impression that I was saying you didn't work during the week or get dressed, and drive etc. I can understand the frustration when people do assume that a person can't do that-because when ever I'm in the hospital they get the nurses to come watch en mass to watch when I use the hoyer lift myself- I tell them after they say they have never seen a quad dress themselves or use the lift alone to get in and out of bed etc. Its when I tell them it shows how poor the rehab. Here is if folks are sent home and they cannot do this. I have no use of parts of my hands and no use od parts of my forearms while a buddy of ine has no use of his hands or arms below his elbowsband he dresses himself, cuts hisbown finger nails, and lights candles, cooks, without use of arms.

Having said that it wasn't my intention to mean you are not independent on the ground totally (kus if you werent-your support worker would of been on your "Team" :). )
Its too bad there is a strap positioned in a place you can't reach since it will always leave you needing to rely on someone else. But on the good side your DZ is big & there are tons of experienced skydivers-would it be possible to have a group session- advertize it @ the DZ ahead of time for people who'd like to be in the "team DunbAss"-support frew. Thus people could learn how your gear is set pu, clips-where thy go-so if there were a dozen people outside of youe team who could give a hand with the gear-that last strap- along the way they would understand where the gear is for you-what differences you've needed to make- I may be a good way to get some peopleinvolved with stuff that they didn't at first, and then you will have back upfolks.

The more I think of it. The more it suks not knowing if you can't jump because od team members missing or gear issues.

Yes I need help to get into the bigger planes (while the 206 I get in on my own).

I think the issue is more that the gear we have, is safest if we can get in them and out of the alone. This only becomes a safety issue if there is an off drop zone landing, and/or if it didn't go so well & we need to able to get out ASAP.
I haven't had it happen in all the jumps I"kve made skydiving, but its always good to prepare for anything in this sport-things can happen to anyone-and when they do it often is tragic wether it is ijuries or worse,o one wants to have friends hurt.

Now as for the courses etc. Awesome! Glad to hear you keepiing yourself busy when not jumping.
I'm assuming because you are so far South you have outdoor packing areas? We don't ecxept during competitions, so for me to pack on the weekends its not practical to pack because I flat pack (we have to I haven't found a way for paralyzed to pro pack), and so I take up lots of room. Anyways if you have outside packing areas there's space for you to practice packing your gear-its a good accomplishmebt for a para to learn to pack-leaves us again more imdependent @ the DZ, needing less help.
Do you have your packing endorsement?
I remember when Dale was asking about packing and I wrote a very long detailed message to him how I flat pack-anyone can teach flat packing-surely @ Zhills but it is a bit dofferent for us, and I found using clamps (packimng like riggers or for B.A.S.E.) And bungee tighteners to keep tension on the lines, a good way to pacxk or else me dragging my body around the pack job on the ground often a leg would move my carefully positioned parachute and I needed to start again-so the clamps and bungee tensioners stopped that problem.

It just occurred to me, to ask you how your feeling about it all now (and even our conversation-as it's hars to know what people feel when they are on the web-because we do not see each other or hear the voices-i realized there was a misunderstandind when I read your response about the work you do and vehicles you drive-that perhaps you were trhinking that I'm assuming you can't care for yourself off the 5
DZ-which was nothing that I was thinking of-my discussions about trhe independence was rwegarding purely on DZ as with gearing up and packing your parachtue etc.).

So I wanted to ask you if you were feeling at all better about your wingman as clearly if he's jumped with you before-or is willing to do so, then it's perhaps worth talking further with him about the situation (perhaps he's read this allready and knows how you feel)... Honestly its difficult to find a instructors willing to jump with para's-getting 1 is great, getting two is pretty awesome,getting 3 becomes more rare.here in ont3io Angus asked his doog friend FuzzyDave and he was willing to give it a try but until I had proven with them two and a fellow Rick that I can do it and not tumble all over rhe sky no one else would want to try-were talking about a whole province with at least 6 DZ's or more... But now that I had done several with Angus he was able to continue with his regular duties and two others "Mike" & "Gareth" stepped up and we finished the AFFprogression (although for the last jump we wanted ANGUS TO BE A PART OF IT-FOR THE FACT THAT WE STARTED TOGETHER AND WANTED TO HAVE HIM WHEN I FONISHED IT) so jumped with Gareth and Angus to do some docking for added measure of experience to that final jump.

Then when it came time do my solo check out jump, I was again that no one wanted to do it-saying "I'd feel better if Angus did it" so during his tandem duties he had to watch out the door as I did my low hop n pop 5 second delay.

Then after that (he failed me the 1st time because I was so focussed on the fast pull that I sacrificed stability and tossed on my pack (I kept thinking of the priorities. 1) pull, 2) pull on time (which is where I was feeling I needed to pull so soon) and finally 3) pull stable. I've heard so mamy of the static line students been told to pull on time regardless of their body position-that my mind was stuck on that-Angus failed me for pullimg on my back-i had a pilot chute hesitation-bridle was stuck under my container)- but after that other coaches have been wanting to do my solo check out jump.

See people are worried incase something goes wrong and they do not want to be involved.

I know even in your case it was so back in 2008-as Tk was hoping to get Angus to come down to jump with you-as he had no one else-Angus was going to come no problem but his work etc. Would not permit it-had he been able to_you would of done your 1st AFF spring of 2009.

But like you said TK won't give up on you unless you give up-which is really awesome as you said even if he has to deploy for you-that is unheard of! Seriously dude... You got the worlds most compassionaye man on your team- and the others-as people have written apparently are the best Zhills has to offer...

I so hope things work out with your wingmam in the future because its a lot easier to fire then to hire in this sport in our "situation".

Hoping to some day see you jumping but reality tells me it propably won't happen.
I've spent a months worth of days in the hospital in the last 2 1/2 months :(
My illness is deteriorating my body way too fast the last 12 months-even the difference from when I moved to the DZ in june (when I worked around the yards keeping the place clean inside and out-with my manual chair-pushing around for 10 hours on mondays to get the recycling etc. Done for early Tues. Morning) by the time our "big plane" season came to an end I was unable to breathe enough to work or mainly use my manual chair and needed to change jobs on the DZO by working from my electric chair-even being pushed to the plane and paying for my pack jobs- couldn't breathe enough to pack and jump-need to monitor oxygen levels several times a day during jumping days-i hope to finish this season jumping alone_before I will become angus' tandem "strap on" again... That will be a hard transition for me-to give up my gear and become tandem again until my ash dive.

So dude, I so hope things work out again with your wingman-their hard to find :)

Sending you some hope that it all works for the best and you will be jumping for decades to come!

Well, that was a lot to take in as I read on. I'm sorry to hear about what your going through. Where do you live by the way? I must tell you something, when it comes to me never say never. We may just meet some day. I love to ride and no were is to far for me to reach. Are you a girl? Just thought I would ask only because of the name. I have talk to my wingman and all is well. Actually, when we saw each other we didn't even mentioned we accured. It was just good to see him. I do understand that people need to do what's right in the best intrest for them. So I don't hold anything against him. It is what it is. In my happy world, I would'nt let something like this hold me back for reaching my dreams. I have been through to much in life and to many doors closed to stop now.
This weekend Team DumbAss got together and had a good time. I had nice weather to jump in and great company to be withB|.
I have been focusing so much on grabbing that hacky that I did'nt pay to much attention to my stability during freefall. I am going to try to relocate were my hacky is, because until I pull and have no problems TK will not take me to the next step. Which is understandable and smart. We'll get there I have no doubt and we will take our time.

Stop Touching Me!!!

Muff Brother# 4466

WOOHOO!! THAT'S WHAT I WAS HOPING TO READ SOON! Team DumbAss is gotten together again.
Like you said, you've had tougher things to deal with, hurdles to drag your ass over, & this won't stop you-awesome! What it only took you 2 wks rightB|,
I'm impressed. And most of all happy.

So how many jumpsa is thos now for you 3 together now
3 is it or 4? ;)

I'm sorry about sharing the not so good news in your thread- I'm using my phone to type & it's real difficult to do so with my fine motor skills deteriorating.
So what used to take me 30 min. To write takes an hour n then I'm too sore to write more for a few hours.
On my computer at home I have a touch sensitive screen and need obly to gently touch with hands or soft pointy object- the screen keyboard. It helps a great deal.
Luckily I still have hand grip to pull my hacky and my handles-when that goes I can't skydive alone anymore.
After each time I go to hosp. Or ibfeel some sttrength gone I do an emergency procedures test, and will always fly with an AAD BECAUSE MY FRIEND eric had a high speed mal that he was spinning horizontal to the ground with his canopy- the digital alti said he was falling in FF @ 42 mph during that mal. He is a rigger and a military guy for 14 yrs-no weakling and he said it was difficuklt to pull cut away and reserve with both habds! It canbe such high forces involved!
So I want a good AAD & UNFORTUNATELY MY ASTRA HAS BEEN ACTING UP, I wish I had the $ for a neptune or vigil I would feel safer if such a mal occurred.BUT ALSO HIS WAS ELIPTICAL SMALL CANOPY & MINE IS SQUARE LARGE canopy so even line twists for me are not @ all like for his canopy-mine they un twist alone.

But I am now flying higher wing loading "old scool" accuracy canopies-still easier on the malfunction g forces then Erics canopy.

I just know Pookie that folks like us-we are pioneers of this sport with paralyzed on both sides- except for Lonnie-he is the "godfather" of this sport for paralyzed- someone should make a documentary of these people.
Lonnie, as he is well above the rest of us, & always will be- he is like the lance armstrong of cycling-fr skydiving- no 1 will catch him.
Then there are others. Peter. Me. Dale, uou-ALL WITH DIFFERENT LEVELS OF PARALYSIS, AND DIFFERENT PERSONALITIES, ABILITIES AND METHODS PF FLYING not to mention approaches to the sport- I.e. Dale has been able to use his sport for piublic speaking, hoping he will coome to international federations meetings (ie to USPA AGM to speak-he is SO GOOD & funny @ his public speaking. ) Maybe if we could get us 3 togehter before I die it would be SO GOOD FOR THE SPORT to see the different ways of flying (we all 3 have different methods & different abilities & different approaches to the sport- ie- you are a "sport" paraschutist-like it shpould be, so is Dale but he has made it a part of his career as prof. Speaker, I've become obsessed with putting all my life into this living & working @ the DZ & putting every penny I got into this to try to excell to the next level before I die, while Lonnie is a quiet presense away from the public eye doing his things and not writing about them-all so very different. Yet Lonnie is doing very important moves and work for his love pof the use of parachutes and his work towards his goals should be recognized, acknowledged.

Anyways Pookie to asnswer your other questions- yes I am a woman.I'm 43 )rs old and single (going top die too soopn to be looking for anyone-besides your married LOL anyways-being ill with terminal illness is sort of a damper on the "dating" scene... "Hi I'm minna, yes I'm single and would like to have a life long partner some day but before you consider me remember I wil die on you" sort of is not a good option on a "looking" for sommeone addLOL.

I live @ the paraschute school of toronto airport- its in southern ontario.
About 45 min north of toronto.

Hope that was all for now- sorry... I'm tired took me. 3 hrs to write this :(

Lots of happy jumping to youb my friend.

If it owould ever be possible to jump one after the other in the same load as another para. That would be my dream

To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

Ok, not married and this whole dieing thing it's not working for me...LoL ;) . You seem to be in good spirts and that's enough for me. I'm 38 soon to be 39 on March 24th. So this whole dating thing, sure of yourself ar'nt you..:o, I think your ganna be just fine. Just a little set back and you will get through this time just as you have in the past. Seems to be just waring on you more at this point. I would love to see a pic of you. I think we could get together sometime, before you die [:/]. I also think we would have a great time together, doing what ever you would like :). I have to look in my log book, I think I have 3 jumps or maybe 4, I have to check. Well, I am always up for a date.. Talk to you later

Stop Touching Me!!!

Muff Brother# 4466

Thanks for the encouragement Pookie. Do you go to facebook? You will see lots of me therer LOL I share with my skydiving friends about my happy days, awesome fun with skydivers I've done and even the sad stuff-like this time in hospital.

I have A.L.S. (Acheck it out on google-then you know what's going on-we all eventually die from asphyxiation-unable to breathe -sucks).
Yah lately I been sick a lot- and since sept-nov was in hosp. 3 or 4 times (over nights-just to get antibiotics)-been then with more serious stuff since Dec1st onward but like you also believe- I DO PICK UP MY ASS OFF THESE HOSP. BEDS & FIND MY WAY BACK TO THE SKIES.

Well I said that about having given up on even looking around to date anyone because most people dontg really want to talk to me-never mind go any further with it LOL.

Seriously, they do say I've got the strongest will to live they seen in anyone & I believe it-my friend Eric reminds me of it :)
But I also have thought that it's tough for me to try to cosider anyone to look to date becayuse of the disability-maybe you experience it also-people not wanting to "deal" witrh the issues that come with paralysis, (but my friend wany just. Married this summer to a lady whose not ina chair! They have a good marriage :) ).

Anyways then the fact that I won't live as long as "normal" but then again being involved in a way of life (B.A.S.E.) Perhaps is more dangrous then a "death sentence" by the docs.

After all,they said in 2005 "60% od the people with A.L.S. Die by 3 yrs after getting it & 90% are dead by 5 yrs after getting it" grim-yah-but sept. 2010 will be my 5 year anniversary :) I think I will live to see it :)

So thanks for the encouragement and send me email at. [email protected] if you want to see if a trip to do some "gimp free fall team" skydiving could be a possibility-:)
I know TK & ANGUS are great friends-maybe TK can be convinced to come up north to his old roots & see Angus & bring you to jump in Canada :)email me I send you a phone # to send me text mesages-i do text messages a lot because I can't speak with my voice.
To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

Well, I had a great weekend. The weather was good and the company was great. Met some new German friends and some new friends from New York. I did 2 jumps Sunday, one from the twin Otter and one from the sky van which was really kool. The back opened up and it was a great view. TK was wore out just as much as I was if not more. He did his best to hold onto me, I can tell we are getting older:P
I have a new instructor which is kool, he's a good guy. This way TK can get a break from dragging my ass through the sky. It will be a change and I trust TK opinion regarding this decision. I was talking to another DumbAss " Martin " who's my tunnel coach and we are going to try something new and it may just work do to my body position. We are going to do tunnel work first with the new project, don’t want to work on the new shit during a jump. That would just be dumb, and even know I'm a DumbAss, something’s just aren’t worth the risk even for me. There is talk about me going to the Boogie in Georgia with a few DumbAss friends; I'm ganna wait to see how the rest of the training goes before I leave the nest. I want to say thanks to all my DumbAss Friends for a great weekend and to TK for putting up with my DumbAss.
If you would like to join Team DumbAss, drop my DumbAss an email at [email protected] and I will get back to your DumbAss as soon as I can

Stop Touching Me!!!

Muff Brother# 4466

Yo Pookie it was fun hanging out last Saturday. I talked to Gregory that night and had him hook up with you and TK on Sunday. I guess he lurked your jump. We need to get him up to speed on your situation before the Ga. boogie. Anything I can do to help just let me know. You gonna be out this weekend??
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

There is talk about me going to the Boogie in Georgia with a few DumbAss friends;

You should still go even if you can't jump, I bet you'd have fun!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I have a buddy from Philli coming in this weekend, I don't know what we're ganna get into yet. But if I am there you'll know it. I also had a good time, woke up in a strange place. Bill left, Could'nt get out, called maifest, they sent Tom's DumbAss, I'm crawling on the ground, DumAss drives by me, Bill finaly comes home. Everyone finds out and the joke is on me, Yea had a great F'ing time B|.... LATER

Stop Touching Me!!!

Muff Brother# 4466

I just may come, I don't feel I am ready to leave the nest yet. Still want to try a few more things but in the tunnel this time. Where talking more about the sitfly suit and I have a feeling we are going to have a good time with it. And I am just the DumbAss to try it. Are you going to be there skymama?
Stop Touching Me!!!

Muff Brother# 4466

Are you going to be there skymama?

Yes. I'll be the "make sure Pookie has a good time" team member. ;)

On a side note: it is located at a campground, so maybe talk to Spence about how good your wheelchair will work there. I think I remember a ramp that goes up to the main building, and there's a deck up there. The rest of the area is gravel and grass. Here are a few pics to help you decide.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon