Dwain

My First BASE Rig

Zoter,im jumping multi heres my point of weiv on that point...

When your pack job is ok,the wind is ok and you dont tip a shoulder it will help you....ofcourse it will also help you better than that,BUT now think of a tipped shoulder,shortdelay whith heavy x wind,your PC is torn to either your left or right(compared to your freefall posissition) and you will have an uneven pull in the 4 lines,THAT im sure can turn your canopy...

Most cases i think the multi helps to get a cleaner openen which is the reasson i use it

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zoter: A multi is supposed to increase the chances of an onheading opening

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought it was to reduce the chances of center cell strip.

correct

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

JP's got the explanation.

If you have a multi, try this: Pull the bridle off to one side of the container (as if jumping in a crosswind). See how one side of the multi goes tight (the one you are pulling away from) and the other stays loose (the one on the side you're pulling toward)? Imagine what will happen if a crosswind pulls the PC off to one side. One side of the multi going tight first is a bit like loading one riser first. It will have a significant chance of spinning the canopy as it moves to line stretch.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

what are you current thought on the multi? Would you use them on everyjump or only on jumps without a X-wind?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

what are you current thought on the multi? Would you use them on everyjump or only on jumps without a X-wind?

My personal experience has been that the difference is negligible. I have around 350 jumps on a multi-equipped canopy, and around 200 jumps on the exact same canopy with the multi removed. In practice, I honestly can't tell the difference.

When the difference isn't noticeable, I'd say you ought to err on the side of simplifying the system, and just remove it.

Note that none of the complaints/arguments (theoretical or based on actual experiences) about the multi have any bearing on terminal jumps (which is what it was originally designed for anyway).

I've pretty much just left mine off, all the time. But if I was going to do a bunch of terminal jumps (say a Norway trip, or an elevator weekend), I'd consider re-attaching it.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

If one were to buy a new canopy and had the extra money would you suggest buying a canopy with the multi?

Once the canopy is made (without a multi) you can't get the multi put on it. But if it's on you can always just not use it. Any thoughts on that?

It's very odd to see the name of the author of this thread again. The recenct addition to this post brought his name right back to the main page of the forum list. It's as though he had just posted yesterday.

It's strange to see his name, little avatar, and writing again.

He'll always be missed.

-=Raistlin
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

i deafently would get the multi,you can esaly take it off and use it as a single bridel as usual...

I havnt removed my multi for 1 jump yet(besides a skydive in my first fox 225 on a skydive),i do however use alot of time working if i should stow it in the sheet or not(sub 230ft it will be free in my harness).

i dont blame my on headdings to my multi,im just lucky that my twisted bodyposistion and poorly packed canopy works different and somehow gives me onheaddings most of mý jumps:ph34r::)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

If one were to buy a new canopy and had the extra money would you suggest buying a canopy with the multi?

Sure. If money's not an issue, then you can just use it when you want.

If money is an issue? I probably wouldn't bother. But, it could be nice for the long delay stuff.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

it could be nice for the long delay stuff

you dont think it help much in the slider off envioment?
I has to disagree(just a thourght,and personal poinion),i think that the fact that you have 4 points lifting your canopy out of the container,makes the sequence(if you have the correct bodypossition,no hard x wind etc etc)more smooth in the time from were the canopy leaves the harness until linestrech(ie a more conststant pull).

I dont have much to compare to but have looked at some deployments from videos it often looks like an single atachment point canopy often(no matter if its a v tec or not),gets this ^ shape in the opening which i dont like.

Any thourghts? if im thinking right or wrong(i know im wrong in many ways,so lets just think in this multi issue:P:ph34r:)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

only way to prevent the shape like ^ is bag or sleeve. fact is that on bad body position opening the multe offten makes the opening even worse.
Robert Pecnik
[email protected]
www.phoenix-fly.com

i wouldnt say most... i have only jumped whith multi and can say that i often has been surprised on how good onheadings i got in different ways on both Fox and Flik(talking both hard x wind and bad body position as you pitch..
Ill dig up my calculation from 0-100jumps(didnt looked at it after) but i were surprised how good onheadings ive got compared to others.(looking at example Mac that whith his single bridel in many jumps had 90 offheaddings were i only got 1 180 10ish 90 then below that..(its rare i have more than 45 degree offheadding).

and dont blame my packjob for the headdings,i know i dont pack beautyful and many people wouldnt jump the packjumps i usaly jump..:ph34r::D

only way to prevent the shape like ^ is bag or sleeve

i never saw my canopy does the ^thing.. perhaps as im using smal pc´s and multi i dunno,but i never saw it and cant see how they could be made if you use a multi?

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I use my multi for slider up and take it off for slider off. I have not noticed any better preformance for the under two second delays with it on or with it off. I don't have enough slider up jumps to know one way or another.

Per Flare, If your out there let us know your thoughts on the multi today as compared to 2003.
"When it comes to BASE, I'll never give advice, only my opinion"

I use my multi for slider up and take it off for slider off. I have not noticed any better preformance for the under two second delays with it on or with it off

i diddt say it were better,just that i like the consept.

if you takes it off if your making sub 2 secs jumps i guess you think theres a hatch on it in that envioment,could you tell so?

I have freefalled 180ft whith my multi on and had nothing bad from having it on there.

I do unsheet the cover from the lines below 250ft through...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber