Mr17Hz

An online jump log service. (Your input requested!)

As some of you may know, I’ll be releasing a Dropzone management software product to the industry next month at the PIA Symposium, there is more information about it here: http://www.RealDropzone.com

With a release version of the software completed, I’m beginning to look at what new services to offer in the second major release. Because the product handles flight manifesting, and because it is an online-connected solution; I have the capability to have jump information exported and used to feed jumps into an online jump log service. ( privacy will be managed at both the dropzone and individual jumper level )

I will be developing this online jump log service through the course of this year, it may not even be released before the end of the year, but like any project it won’t be finished until it’s been started.

I need some help from everyone about what they would like to see.

Some of the features included will be:

* This will be an entirely free service. There may be ads and an opportunity to upgrade accounts to allow for more video or image storage, but the free service will include enough storage for the average jumper, and then some.

* The ability to manage a jump log online, regardless of where the jumps were made.

* Ability to associate uploaded videos with jump.

* Ability to associate uploaded photos with jump.

* Ability to identify who else was on your jump, and to see content they’ve uploaded as well.

* The ability to share jump log information on other social networking sites, such as MySpace, Facebook, and Dropzone.com.

* Ability to upload flight details from digital altimeters.

* Ability to keep jump log private, public, or allow ‘friends’ to view.

* Ability to ‘print’ entire jump log easily for personal storage.

* Ability to update log entries from mobile devices such as an iPhone.

Part of this will also allow skydivers to create personal profiles, where they can indicate their industry history, as what gear they one. This will help to allow malfunction and other gear related notes to each jump.

I would also like to incorporate some sort of ‘digital signature’ technology that allows skydivers to ‘sign’ each other’s online logbooks so that it has the potential to completely replace written jump logs; however this would require the support of governing organizations. It would be great if I could get the USPA to manage the ‘licenses and ratings” portion of the skydiver’s profile so that accuracy can be maintained.

While this will be a social networking like site, I am going to do my best to architect it in such a way that it is more ‘portable’ between different social networking sites, so that you may be able to manage jumps from within your favorite social networking portal – however as these standards and protocols are still being ironed out, I don’t have the complete solution envisioned… Just bits and pieces.

Please help me to help you! Shoot as many ideas at me as you can, no matter how simple or complex they might seem… The best public services come from the best public brainstorming!

**Edited to put the part about this being a free service in BOLD, so that ozzy13 can see it.
Matt Christenson

[email protected]
http://www.RealDropzone.com - A new breed of dropzone manifest software.

Why would someone as a jumper want to pay for that? Most digital alti's have these programs that come with it already

Apparently you didn’t read my post. I’ll go back and put the part where it’s a free service in BOLD for you.
Matt Christenson

[email protected]

If it is a free service that would be cool.

I can't stand trying to obtain signatures. I'm lazy with that. Plus, I don't feel liking writing in my log book like it is a diary. I want defaults unless stated otherwise and check boxes.

It would be cool if there could be some sort of integration with DZ computer systems where your jump record would be uploaded to your account automatically.

Plus, are signatures acutally regulated or is it just the DZs and USPA that care about them? I would think it would be more precise to have an electronic "deposit" of jump record to your account.

Just my thoughts...

No offense, but maybe you should fix your existing stuff before looking for the next product..

From realdropzone.com:

Error A critical error has occurred.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
RealDropzone Product Forums

Exactly the thing I would not like to see in my manifest. (:

No offense, but maybe you should fix your existing stuff before looking for the next product..

RealDropzone, the product, has been tested extensively in production. It's rock-solid and any critical errors that do come up with be resolved quickly and professionally.

The forums at www.RealDropzone.com have been up for less than 2 weeks and I am purposely testing beta software because of its less-than-critical nature.
Matt Christenson

[email protected]

Why would someone as a jumper want to pay for that? Most digital alti's have these programs that come with it already

Apparently you didn’t read my post. I’ll go back and put the part where it’s a free service in BOLD for you.

Well excuse me!!! Cool good luck with that;)
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

I can't stand trying to obtain signatures.

Just my thoughts...

I'll stick to my paper log book, thanks. To me, logbooks are more than just a sterile record of my jumps. I put in all sorts of details about the jump, who was on the load, anything else that's interesting to me. Plus, getting signatures is a great way to meet other jumpers who may want to jump with a newb like me another day.
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me.

I actually think this would be a good idea. With new products you always have issues to work out. Not a problem with me. My alti did not come with software that was extra. Nothing wrong with having an online log to back up my written logbook if it gets lost or something.

* Ability to upload jumps from digital altis.
* Ability to import logbooks from current electronic logbooks (ParaLog, JumpTrack, etc.)
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

I like my written log books - they acquire character (doodles, stains(?) and signatures) over time, which you will never get from a piece of cold software - an that from an IT consultant!!

In the Game a Paper Scissors, Computer .... paper trumps P.C

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I will always fill out my paper log after every jump! I was just saying that this software could back up my paper log just in case it is lost with luggage on a flight or is misplaced somehow! I write everything down in the log book from the dirt dive, people I jumped with, exit, jump, pattern, landing, what the winds were like.................... It will never replace my paper log but I would have nothing if my logbook were lost.

Considering my last 700 jumps are logged on two pages in a logbook, one page for each year, you might want to consider jump "batches"... Now most people might just want to say jumps "294-301" "4-way training with team, exits and stop drills"....

In all seriousness - I think a lot of people with 500+ jumps don't do a lot of logs. They probably just want their manifest data from their home DZ to populate everything for them.... Although I know one guy who spends more time logging the jump than the plane ride - fine print, all the details, for 3000+ jumps...

I can't stand trying to obtain signatures.

Just my thoughts...

I'll stick to my paper log book, thanks. To me, logbooks are more than just a sterile record of my jumps. I put in all sorts of details about the jump, who was on the load, anything else that's interesting to me. Plus, getting signatures is a great way to meet other jumpers who may want to jump with a newb like me another day.

I like your point. I should take more of an interest in recording details. Getting signatures is a good way to meet people too.