RevvyAiny

How Old is Too Old

So, after being told I needed to wait until next season for my second training tandem, I got to do it yesterday.B| Learned good stuff, reinforced some other stuff, identified a particular growing edge. Not insurmountable, just a matter of more jumps.

I was feeling good about the whole experience. Then I overheard one of the instructors gently trying to discourage someone who had not performed well in a first training tandem. The things he said made sense, until he said he didn't like to train students over 55 because their thought process is slower than is safe (or something like that).

I am 53, but you would never know it to look at me. By the time I do AFF next year I will be 54. In good health, and working on improving. As far as I can tell my thought processes are fine, and may even be superior to some (I'm just saying).

My question: How old is too old to learn to skydive?

I teach Tandems and AFF and my oldest AFF student (so far!) was 68 and my oldest tandem was 86. Age is only one factor in evaluating the abilities of a student. By the way, I'm 53 myself! There are many older jumpers and instructors that didn't start till late.

Most of the older students I've been involved with were not the best students or skydivers. Several injured themselves and some just always seemed to be one beat behind the skydive. This was in spite of being enthusiastic and wanting be good skydivers.

I have also dealt with older students who were good students and became good skydivers.

My overall impression is the success rate for older new skydivers is lower then for younger novices. But you can't generalize. I think even for myself if I was starting now (52) it would be tougher than it was at 19. Mentally as well as physically. But see my sig line.;)

If YOU feel comfortable and 'at speed' with the needs of the jumping than it should be fine. Find a instructor that feels the same way.

I tried to get one older new jumper to stop for several years. He was just always a step behind. And he was actually dangerous to others. What he told me was that skydiving was what was keeping him alive. He eventually did realize that he was better suited for something else, road biking.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I did my 1st jump at 49 and now at 60 have 2200+ skydives. I'd look for another dz and show my contempt to that instructor with my feet and pocketbook.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

Dead too old?, don't know about that. Always thought that my funeral should be a burial at sea/water jump, stick me in an arch position. Toss me out, build a formation around me. At break Alt. just let me whistle in. Make it far enough out so no legal issues. And make sure the spot is far enough away from the pickup boat(s) so I don't sink one. Remember the Russian cow urban legend.

Have the instructor go tell it to these guys.

http://www.thepops.org/usa/flsos09.php

Or maybe to this guy.

https://www.skydivingmuseum.org/PatMooreheadsTeam80/tabid/76/Default.aspx

Sparky

Jim Hickey started after 60, he's got at least 3500 jumps...has even been BASEJumping and wingwalking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eYJH3bRnUg

I'm looking forward to Pat Morehead's 80 jumps on his 80th birthday next month

Have the instructor go tell it to these guys.

http://www.thepops.org/usa/flsos09.php

Or maybe to this guy.

https://www.skydivingmuseum.org/PatMooreheadsTeam80/tabid/76/Default.aspx

Sparky

Jim Hickey started after 60, he's got at least 3500 jumps...has even been BASEJumping and wingwalking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eYJH3bRnUg

I'm looking forward to Pat Morehead's 80 jumps on his 80th birthday next month

Douglas,

That is great, no moss growing on that old boy.

I will see at Pat gig. I will be working rigging and recovery.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Dead too old?, don't know about that. Always thought that my funeral should be a burial at sea/water jump, stick me in an arch position. Toss me out, build a formation around me. At break Alt. just let me whistle in. Make it far enough out so no legal issues. And make sure the spot is far enough away from the pickup boat(s) so I don't sink one. Remember the Russian cow urban legend.

Dead is not too old to skydive. It's too old to LEARN to skydive.

I posed that same question a few months ago.....
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4169936;page=unread#unread

I just sent in my "A" license completed...I'M 51. If a DZ says you are too old and you feel you still got it...go somewhere else. Don't deny yourself the chance to experience this awesome sport. I dig this stuff so much, I spend most of my days dreaming about my next jump...not to mention the great friends I have made.
Fear is the thief of dreams.....

Not jumping now due artificial knee. I'm 60. In my job I have occasion to drive very quickly in an urban environment (lights and siren). I think quickly enough. I will admit to lack of patience with knuckleheads like the instructor making that comment. He(she) can select their students by age as they like and we (over 50?) people can prefer to associate with folks who don't show us their ugly arse too.

I did a tandem at 57 and got thoroughly hooked on the sport. That was four years and 927 jumps ago. I've been on two Skydivers Over Sixty Montana state record jumps and on the Washington and Arizona state womens record jumps. I even got my 4stack in CReW this past summer. That said, it does take me a bit longer to learn new things than it might have when I was younger, but I love the learining! :)

"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490