flyusa

Canopy Piloting course: what's covered?

I'm just curious for some feedback from people who have been to any canopy piloting courses. What are the main topics in ground class and such? What did you personally get out of it, etc. etc. Thanks much in advance!
There are many in government who have a very simple tax proposal in mind. There will be only two lines on the tax form: 1-How much did you make last year? 2-Send it.

When i did mine with Clint from Team Extreme i only had about 30 or 40 more jumps than you do now. I arrived there all gung ho trying to tell him how i was already doing 90 deg riser rutns and how could he help me get more swoop out of them, etc etc.

Clint was awesome. First thing he told me to do was to slow down. We focused a lot on technique and a lot on getting me to fly a consistent landng pattern, this is after all an essential part of canopy piloting.

There were two of us on the course, me with around 140 jumps and another dude with around 1600 jumps, obviously there were times when some of the stuff would apply to the other dude and not to me and vce versa but i learned a helluva lot and am really glad i did it.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

How your canopy flies.
How to fly a pattern.
How to flare properly.
How to correct early/late flares.
Riser exercises (up high).
Dealing with turbulence.
...and plenty more.

I've taken both Brian Germain's and Scott Miller's Essential Skills course. I'd recommend both. Scott's is more practical while Brian's is more focussed on theory.

.....First thing he told me to do was to slow down. We focused a lot on technique and a lot on getting me to fly a consistent landng pattern, this is after all an essential part of canopy piloting.....
----------------------------------------------------------
EVERYONE is a canopy pilot. No matter if under a Manta 280 on the first jump or after 1000's of jumps under a heavy loaded crossbraced canopy.

After initial training, skydivers often choose to work on their freefall skills first . The canopy skills are not trained specifically. Experience is gained - but this experience is not enough when something unforseen happens. The latest fatality in France made me think about something which happens too often. A skydiver under a good and conservative loaded canopy dies on landing after a low turn.

As a student, what do you hear most on the radio when it comes to landing ? " Arms up, arms up - half brakes - flare" ( or similar) You learn that it is very important to land against the wind and that the landing works best when you convert forward speed into lift ("Arms up...)

If the initial training is finished and the first own gear is used, this scheme continues. The skydiver does not know different. How often do you see beginners who fly seemingly VERY safe landing patterns. Arms up - left toggle - arms up - left toggle - arms up final - arms up - half brakes - flare.

The performance range of the canopy between full drive and full flare is only used for seconds.

If the unexpected happens ( somebody crosses the landing pattern, or maybe only the wind direction has changed) the skydiver CAN only react in the way he knows...one toggle down...full flare (if at all)... too late. There is (was) no"plan B" available.

A canopy piloting (or call it handling) course with a qualified instructor will cover what you are looking for. Don't be afraid that you will be forced to do 270°s. Go there with the intention to learn about the full range of your canopy. Learn a lot of useful things and practice them, like f.e. flat turns in brakes. Then you have a plan B when things go wrong.

Canopies which are considered today as a good first canopy are much hotter than the stuff really experienced guys had 20 + years ago. A Raven 1 (181sqft) was the ultimate weapon, believe it or not.

They are also less forgiving. Please go to a canopy course as early in your career as you can. You wouldn't feel comfortable either if you would have to drive through a city only with the two options full throttle / full brakes.

Blue skies,

Kai

Just got to agree with your comments.
I have been on 5 canopy schools from Team Extreme,Safe Flight school(Empuriabrava,Spain)and Scott Millers basic and advanced.
Just wanted to add learning to fly your canopy slow gives you more time to assess situations and allows you to see the full range of your canopies performance.
Brian in spain has a very funny saying "toggles are just so last year!".learning about different inputs to ensure your canopy is flying more efficiently i found to be just awesome.
Steve
Swooping, huh? I love that stuff ... all the flashing lights and wailing sirens ... it's very exciting!

beyond the ground portion... I got some good pointers on my flair technique Overall it was good but there were things that it could be done better.)
I learned the limits of my canopy (that I can fly in deep breaks and not stall my canopy)
I learned where the stall point of my canopy is and what it feels like when I do stall it.

I also got some pointers on how to land my canopy on my rear risers.

I highly recommend taking a good canopy course given the oportunity.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...