Scotty Carbone

When I first got to z-hills, the first person I met there was Scotty. He told me that story and everybody telling him that he was going to die jumping that rig.

Scotty let me chase a lot of his "dis-organized" loads starting out with a camera. He'd always get a pick up team put together for competition during boogies. One boogie only Scotty and I were from the states everybody else was from Europe.

I made two Keys Boogies with Scotty. It was amazing how many people would come out of the woodwork that knew him and had volumes of colorful stories of Carbone.

Going to miss you Scotty, tell Johnny and Debbie I'm thinking about them all the time. Blue skies, my brother!!

4rust gump

I first met Scotty in Deland in the 80's. It was my first jump out of a sky van. I thought who is this loud obnoxious guy. I was invited on his jump and we have been friends ever since. I will never forget in the late 80's in Z-Hills. Scott was banned from the drop zone for his partying by George. After a while like always he was allowed back on. I will never forget hearing over the loud speakers, "Scotty Carbone, the person you borrowed the mirror from wants it back". BSBD....

George allowed Scotty back on the DZ during the last couple of days of Phoenix/ZHills. We did a 14-way. 3rd point was a big round. After geeking for a few seconds, Scotty moved into the center of the formation and spun around a few times. He suddenly dumps out of the formation. Holy Crap! ...Scotty's pulling! We must be in the basement! As I turned away to track, I glanced at my alti. Still at 6 grand! :P Scared the crap out of a few folks.:)

Met him at my first (beer) Florida jump in 81 at Deland Spring Fling. He was not impressed by my Rodrigues Solution, I was impressed by his freefall skills, vertical separation for pull, and positive party evening events! Including watching him get booted off more than one event/DZ. So many years of his smiles, wedding to Tami, and more crazy times than I can count. Thank you, Scotty, HIM HIM F*&K HIM!
Rule #1 of Skydiving: Safely Land An Open Parachute!

Crazy that he went from dental surgery. I feel compelled to tell one of my favorite Scotty Carbone stories.

As a new jumper and packer at CK in 97, I ended up packing for Scotty during the 100-ways. I had no idea who he was nor was I aware of his reputation for trying to pay packers with food, coaching, beers or anything else that wasn't cash. Nor did I have any idea of his reputation for low pulls.

He was jumping a batwing...one of those with that distinctive pinkish/purple pattern and a reputation for slow openings. I was blindly packing as I was taught...roll the nose, cram it in the middle, wrap the tail and set it down.

Scotty comes in after the first packjob, sets his rig down and looks at me:
S - "What's you're name kid?"
D - "Daless."
S - "Nice to meet you Daless...JESUS FUCKING CHRIST DALESS, I'M PULLING AT 800 FEET!!! I CAN'T HAVE OPENINGS LIKE THAT!!!"
S - "Pack it again but speed that son of a bitch up!"

This time, I didn't roll the nose. About an hour goes by and the next 100-way attempt lands....

S - "JESUS FUCKING CHRIST DALESS! I THOUGHT I TOLD YOU I COULDN'T HAVE OPENINGS LIKE THAT. PACK IT AGAIN AND YOU BETTER SPEED THAT FUCKER UP!!!"

I sheepishly grab the rig and start packing it as he storms out the door to the back deck where his van was parked. I turned to my buddy and asked if this guy was gonna go in before he paid me. His immediate reply was, "that's Scotty Fucking Carbone...he's not gonna go in, but I wouldn't count on getting paid."

Before I could even start packing the chute, he comes storming back in with a big old steak knife in hand. Scared the hell out of me to see this (to my 50 jump brain) crazy SOB coming at me with a knife but before I could react he said, "let me see that real quick...." and he took the knife to the slider basically cutting a huge X through the center of it. "OK" he smiled, "now pack it!"

Those were my first years in the sport and Scotty was such a larger than life personality...I was just trying to figure out how to not get myself killed and here was this old grizzled ball of energy that seemed blissfully unaware of his own mortality. He absolutely blew my mind.

I would also say that I saw the worst and best of Scotty in those years. That same weekend I saw him viciously berate Joe O'Connor (a relatively new jumper at the time) late night for going low on the 100-way...I mean just pure mean and nasty, I actually thought Joe might cry. I also saw him drop what he was doing to run to his van and dig out a tux (which he of course just happened to have with him) to give to a guy he didn't know who was going to get married on a skydive at the convention in 98, "You can't get married without a Tux! Hold on, I'll be right back!"

A rare personality and just the kind of person who made skydiving special.

We could all fill about 3 or 4 novels full of Scotty Carbone stories.

I think he outlived the "over/under" bets on him by about 15 years!

What a character. I am glad I got to make jumps with him and enjoy fireside cocktail chats with him.

>We could all fill about 3 or 4 novels full of Scotty Carbone stories.

Oh yes, please do tell stories. A novel is not necessary but a short story or two, similar to the one by Daless, would be a wonderful distraction right about now. I'm sure there are many...

I only met Scotty Carbone once. When Judy and I passed through Z-hills and jumped with him and the locals. He was a gas! Racing back and forth between loads on that motorscooter trailing a rabbit (or something) and that little dog, always hot in-pursuit. You've got to love a guy like that..

After sunset Scotty dressed himself in drag with a dress, wig, high heels, stuffed bra and lots of red lipstick. I looked on aghast. Scotty had a sixth sense about figuring out who the uptight folks were. That was me. I guess he read the look on my face. He sauntered over, grabbed my head between his hands, leaned in and gave me a big fat floppy kiss right on my lips. I was even more aghast, and now covered with red lipstick. Then he walked away smiling, his mission to loosen me up a bit accomplished.

About 25 years ago at Deland I was following Scotty under canopy from a long spot. At about 1200 Ft, as soon as we cleared the trees and were over the drop zone Scotty abruptly cut away and opened his reserve. When we got to the ground I asked him what happened and he replied that his reserve was due for a repack and he wanted to test it. I knew then I had met a unique crazy ass dude.

Then there was that time at Quincy...

RIP, Mr. Carbone.

I still can’t believe that he’s gone! So many memories and stories to share. My heart goes out to you Tami!

Scotty jumped with us in Waynesville for a few years, great times! We had a bunch of us that pulled low all the time so he fit right in! Miss you brother!! RIP BSBD

These t shirts were made after the 91 Richmond THE Boogie!
waving off is to tell people to get out of my landing area

1977 boogie I was one of very few jumping with a 16mm helmet camera at Zhills. In the C-47 Scotty wanted me to film his exit OFF THE WING ! He said ... " Tree , I'll climb out the little window onto the wing and when you go out the door I'll dive off the wing after you , just spin around and get me ". Somewhere over Dade city he squeezed out the window. There was oil all over the wing and poof ... Scotty was gone.
He landed miles away from the dz and lost his wallet in freefall.

Blue skies Scotty, you will be missed.
JUMP RUN 1979 movie is at www.callmetree.com