auntcathy

Sheralynn Neff

She would have liked to have been remembered in this forum many years from now, with thousands of jumps under her belt. But she was just getting started. Skydiving was her next, new adventure before she went to graduate school. She died on only her 6th jump, her second weekend of jumping. She had carefully researched skydiving training centers within driving distance before deciding to go to Cushing, OK.

Now she is remembered for the manner of her death and the mystery that still surrounds it. She became silent after her canopy opened at 4,000 feet and somehow slipped out of an apparently secure harness. Her empty harness with chute floated into the branches of a tree in the Oklahoma countryside. Exactly what happened and how it might be prevented is a topic for another forum.

This was an exceptional young lady, and that is no cliche. From the time she could walk, she was climbing everything in sight. She loved challenges, was brilliant, hard-working, and generous to a fault. She was extremely close to her brother, her only other sibling, and to her parents.

We family and friends who knew her from birth are still stunned and heavy of heart that this would happen. I find a small consolation in another cliche "She died doing what she wanted to do". But that the dive was less than perfect... that would bug her to no end!

I wanted to share about the person behind the story. Thanks for letting me do that here

What beautiful hair! I'm so very sorry for your loss; there are no appropriate words when the whole thing is just wrong.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Thank you for sharing your memories of Sheralynn with us. Her death makes all of us sad, for sure, and it's hard to make sense out of the circumstances of what happened to her. Hugs and love to you and your family.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

She looks like she was a beautiful soul, and her accomplishments were many!!! I was at the dz on that Saturday and I'm not positive but I think she was one of the AFF students going up that afternoon? There is small consolation when a loved one dies doing what they loved, though it does not heal a heavy heart. Many hugs to you and to Sheralynn's family and friends!! May her memory live on and may she fly free forever blue skies!!!
"A man only gets in life what he is believing for, nothing more and nothing less" Kenneth Hagen

Thank you for sharing your wonderful Memories with us. She died as a skydiver and we will remember her as such and we as a community will learn from this and progress. Our condolences to you and all her loved ones.

BSBD Sheralynn Neff :(

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421