gary0302

Bill Mathews, Nov. 30, 1941 - Feb. 23, 2014

For those that are not aware, Bill Mathews passed away in Fayetteville NC on February 23, 2014. Personally, I only knew Bill while jumping at Raeford back in the late 1970's. However, I am sure that there are those who knew him not only as a sport jumper, but also throughout his military career in Special Forces and as both an Instructor and Master Rigger on the US Army HALO Committee. Bill was never one to try to be anyone's best buddy, it was not in his personality; he was the epitome of the "put up or shut up" kind-of-guy. I considered Bill to be a good friend, and I continue to respect his contributions and efforts both within the US military and the sport skydiving community.

http://www.fayobserver.com/obituaries/william-e-mathews-jr/article_fa750a86-cad4-5263-b2a0-143b792715e9.html

Bill can be seen in the middle of the attached photo as we jumped Raeford's Lockheed 10E, one of the shots taken by Andy Keech for his hard cover book Skies Call II. Rest in peace, my friend.
Gary David Holbrook on Facebook/YouTube, D-5857, SCS 3657, NSCR 1219, Former S/L Instructor, Former Wizards 4-way RW, Former SE Conference Judge