Douggarr

Tommy Granato

Those of you who jumped at the Greene, N.Y. DZ may remember Tom as a great guy, terrific instructor. He passed away last Thursday afternoon. He took me through training on static line, and I was hooked right away. Then when I had a contract to write a piece for Popular Science about the new ram air canopies Tom lent me his Para-Plane to kick off my research. It was my first article for a major magazine. So Tom kicked off my skydiving career and my writing career. I'll miss you big time. Fly free.
SCR-442, SCS-202, CCR-870, SOS-1353

I knew Tommy during my college years in Cortland, NY when I first started jumping. Tommy was a terrific friend and a great supporter of college kids skydiving. He used to come to some our film nights at the student union and helped with some of the carpooling up to the old Seneca Falls dropzone. My very first jump on a high performance canopy was on Tommy's Papillon, in his Mini System ( a very classy comfy sport rig with chest mounted reserve - first rig I ever wore that actually felt good). Tommy used to tell me I should get a Strato Star and a pig rig, "like all the young guys at Elsinore".

Sorry to hear this Doug, but I guess sooner or later we're all going this way. Fly free Tommy.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !