jumpsalot-2

Remembering Walter Hawkins

It's been a long year since Walt passed away. He had been away from Lincoln for a good year, jumping elsewhere. He just could not stay away from his passion of manicuring and caring for that pond of his. I called it Walt's Pond, but that just embarrassed him. The origination of the pond was by Pete Galli, he worked his ass off to get it established. Anytime a canopy comp was coming Walt would be there working, alone mostly, getting it in perfect shape for himself and his canopy pilot family. Walt took his canopy flying very seriously and had a competitive nature. He did countless low passes to improve his technique. I believe his fellow competitors new him as their brother because of all his effort ....... and he was a damn good swooper, period. I took a thousand jump runs with Walt, and took hundreds of stills and vids of him. I don't have a single one left. They were all erased after a quick look by him. Why would I save them. I saw him everyday, and I'd see him tomorrow, right ? ............. miss you Walt.
Life is short ... jump often.