aphid

Don Stewart

It is with deep sadness that we announce the passing of Don Stewart. Long-time CSPA participant from BC and Victoria Skydivers, active member of the Competition & National Teams Committee and a judge at numerous competitions. Don passed away peacefully on December 26 with his friend at his side.

(source: https://www.facebook.com/CanadianSkydiving/posts/890844427696861)

While he came to skydiving later in his life, "Donsie" always tried to give his best to judging and CSPA. He fought the cancer valiantly. I will remember him with deep fondness.

See attached for a photo of Don at Perris a few years back.

John

Don started judging in 2002 and quickly progressed up the 'judging ladder' earning his Provincial, National and FAI ratings in several disciplines. He judged all across Canada at Provincial and National Championships. As well, he judged down in the States at various Al Zilk Memorials, the US Nationals and the 2005 CP World Cup in Florida.

Barb Davies, the current chair of CSPA's Competition and National Teams Committee, had this to say: "Don was a long standing member of the CNTC and had only recently reaffirmed his commitment to continue on the committee for 2016. I can't remember when he came onto the committee but it was during the years Mary Watson was Chair, perhaps 2003 or 04. Don was diagnosed with bone cancer in 2008 and told he had six months to live. He certainly lived past his best' before' date by several years. In the early years Don worked tirelessly on the CSPA website and especially on the CNTC portion of the website and also on the publication of our manuals in both languages. He was the guy who helped keep my sanity when various versions of the manuals started flying back and forth, which one was the correct one and he liaised with our translator to keep everything straight. Unfortunately, after he became ill, I never found anyone else so committed to promoting competition through our website like Don was. However, he remained active replying on most issues privately to me. He was a strong advocate for the fair and equitable treatment of competitors. He was also responsible for those black uniforms, ever practical "they don't show the dirt"."

He was awarded a CSPA Service Award in 2011 for his commitment to the sport. He was well liked and will be missed.

I had the honour of sharing the same home DZ as Don.

Don was one of the kindest, gentlest, most selfless people I have ever known. Even on the rare occasions that I saw him get upset about something, he still kept calm and politely discussed the issue without ever badmouthing the people involved. That was just his nature. Don was, quite simply, a nice person, all the way to his core.

Several years into his bone cancer, when he couldn't jump, couldn't lift any weight, and even found standing painful, Don would walk out to the middle of the landing area when I was doing a tandem jump, trying to anticipate my exact landing point. By the time I had unhooked the passenger and and picked up the canopy, Don would hand me a nicely coiled up bridle and drogue - then apologize that he couldn't help carry the gear off the field because of his health! Selflessly helping out someone who was in less need than himself was just another normal day for Don.

Don: We miss you already, and we will never forget you!
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

I am sorry to have found this in the forums. Don was a one-of-a-kind guy, great sense of humour, liked to be involved in every part of DZ activities even from his first jump.

I knew him years ago jumping in northern Vancouver Island clubs. I still have dusty videos I shot of him learning relative work out of Cessnas in the 90s. One included a two way with Rosco, that ended with Don receiving an unexpected kiss pass. It was set to "A New Sensation" by INXS.

I moved and lost track of him, but to read here the things he went on to accomplish I can see back then he was headed in the direction of service to the sport. A large heart and a large smile.

I'll miss you, Don. Why did you have to depart on my birthday? Blue skies...

The Red Baron