jimjumper

Mike Mangold

Never thought I would post this on here. Mike Mangold, long time jumper before quitting to concentrate on flying on the Red Bull competition circuit was killed today in a plane crash at Apple Valley CA airport. I considered him a friend and knew him from back in the day as our rigger for the Clark Air Base Parachute Club '84-'85 timeframe.
http://www.vvng.com/famous-red-bull-pilot-killed-in-apple-valley-plane-crash/

jimjumper

Never thought I would post this on here. Mike Mangold, long time jumper before quitting to concentrate on flying on the Red Bull competition circuit was killed today in a plane crash at Apple Valley CA airport. I considered him a friend and knew him from back in the day as our rigger for the Clark Air Base Parachute Club '84-'85 timeframe.
http://www.vvng.com/famous-red-bull-pilot-killed-in-apple-valley-plane-crash/

So sad, such a talented guy, you will be missed. Gumby's forever .

Mick.

I met Mike in 1979 at Kunsan Air Base Korea. I was 19 and had about 150 jumps, and was eager to keep jumping despite being stationed in Korea. He was a Lieutenant flying F4's at the time. Mike would drive me and a civilian named Lee Mitchell up to Seoul one weekend per month where we could jump out of Army Huey helicopters all day Sunday. I still have a SCR application, with Mikes' signature as well as 10 others. At the time, that 11-way was the largest formation in Korea.
I cant recall the name of Mikes "back-seater" in that F4, but he told me a few amazing stories about Mike, that I will not share here, but I do know that of the 2 squadrons of fighter pilots on the base, Mike was the most accurate at bomb placement. Mike was quite a character.

Blue Skies Mike

And Mike flew RF-4 recce jets!
Hah!
Hah!
Yes, Mike was a class-act.
I first met Mike through his aerobatic flying. In 1993, Mike asked Manley Butler to sew him a seat-pack for his Pitts Special aerobatic biplane. The unusual thing was its square canopy, one of the few square canopies I have ever packed into seat-pack.
A few years later (mid 1990s) we (Rigging Innovations) sewed an Aviator PEP to fit in Mike's Extra aerobat.
Mike brought his Pitts S-2 to Perris Valley and took a few skydivers for joy rides. Only time I have seen spots from the pilot's seat!

I got to make a few jumps with him back in the early 80's in Utah. He was always doing the paraski competitions for a while. Helluva accomplished guy.

He had a great story about having to eject from his F-4 due to an avionics fire spreading into the cockpit. He seemed to be pretty good at using that story to get a lot of neck rubs from attractive women. ;):D

JohnMitchell

I got to make a few jumps with him back in the early 80's in Utah. He was always doing the paraski competitions for a while. Helluva accomplished guy.

He had a great story about having to eject from his F-4 due to an avionics fire spreading into the cockpit. He seemed to be pretty good at using that story to get a lot of neck rubs from attractive women. ;):D

Over the Gulf of Mexico and on Christmas Day, IIRC..

Was at the service today on deck watching the memorial jump.
Kudos to all involved in a beautiful jump that quickly formed and held a large "M" till breakoff. There was an impressive amount of aviation experience on the ground watching and they were impressed. Nice service, fitting send off, but still a heart pull.

I have known Mike Mangold and his wife Julie for years. It was an honor to be on this jump.

I went to their wedding at Apple Valley Airport about 15+ years ago. It was the only wedding I have ever been to, or will ever be at, that I had to sign a waiver.

After the "I dos", Mike got in his plane and put on a hell of an airshow, with Julie announcing. After the show we all got to either make a skydive, or ride in a helicopter, glider or aerobatic plane. I got to fly with one of Mike's friends in his aerobatic plane. It was amazing.

After everyone was finished flying around the sky, we went into the airport restaurant for dinner, drinks and dancing. It is by FAR the most epic wedding I ever attended.

His "celebration of life" was pretty damn cool yesterday, just like he was...

>I got to fly with one of Mike's friends in his aerobatic plane. It was amazing.

And that friend was my buddy and fellow skydiver Charlie Greer in his Extra 300. Funny story....after a very long day of giving rides Charlie went into the reception area to get something to eat, only to find out that all the food was now gone. ;-)

When you're an amazing guy like Mike Mangold you have amazing friends too. Nice job everyone with the send-off and nothing but Blue Skies henceforth for Mike Mangold.