chuckakers

Dan Poynter

My working relationship with Dan extended over the period of 1991 to 2015 when he enlisted my help as his co-author of PSH and as an editor for several of his other study guides and texts. We roomed together at various PIA meetings over the years and his friendship has had a long lasting effect upon me and I will miss him dearly.
Dan, you now fly with the angels and I'll see you again on the other side!
Mike Turoff
Instructor Examiner, USPA
Co-author of Parachuting, The Skydiver's Handbook

Hi Chuck,

A legend...

Very true.

My association with Dan began back in 1964 when I wrote him a letter about some parachute materials. We spent the next 25-30 yrs corresponding about parachuting, rigging, etc.

I learned more about parachute rigging from Dan than any other person I have ever known. His articles in PARACHUTIST, Parachuting Poynters, were just about our only source of knowledge back in those days.

Sleep gentle, old friend,

Jerry Baumchen

I knew this day would come but it doesn't make it any easier.

Dan Poynter has been with me literally my entire skydiving career. I purchased The Skydivers Handbook after just a few jumps, and realized then how special he was in skydiving. Later, while becoming a parachute rigger, I learned even more from The Parachute Manual. At that point it started to sink in just how much he had given to skydiving and the parachute industry.

Imagine my surprise one day when he called me up offering to sell my canopy color program. Suddenly I became a Para Publishing author, working in the Para Publishing booth with Dan at the PIA Symposium, and meeting many people that I still know today. Watching him work at the Symposium was amazing. He had such energy. I couldn't keep up.

I learned a lot from Dan about a lot of things. The parachute industry, USPA history, and much more that I just can't remember now. Whenever I had a question about anything in the skydiving and parachute industry, or their politics, I called him to get his perspective, which was always helpful.

I'm really going to miss those calls...

Dan had an impact on my skydiving life also and I'm sure he never knew it.

Back in 2001, I made my initial post on dz.com about my struggles when I was a new skydiver. Imagine my surprise also when I received a random note from him that said:

Andrea
I love your story and your attitude.
Welcome to the sport.

D-454

I couldn't believe that the guy who co-authored the book that I had sitting on my bookshelf was the same guy who read my little forum post and who now reached out to me to give me encouragement. I was floored!

He must have kept up with my progress, because in another random e-mail back then, he said:

Dear A-37148

Congratulations on getting your license.
I was not sure from the story how many jumps you had made.
BTW, I sent your story on to some other low-numbered jumpers-people I jumped
with years ago.

D-454

His two notes have stayed in the back of my mind ever since. When Sangiro asked me to be a Moderator in 2002, I thought about how I might be able to use my position to give back to the sport. Then, I thought of Dan reaching out to me. His e-mails are the reason why I take the time to welcome all of the newbies who post in the Intros forum. I remember how great it made me feel to have an experienced skydiver welcome me and congratulate me when I felt like such a small fish in a big pond at the dropzone.

RIP, Dan. I will continue to welcome new skydivers in honor of your memory. :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Hi Steve,

I got this in an email the other day:

Here is the current information we have on Dan Poynter's memorial service. It will take place at 2:00 PM on January 15, 2016 at 199 Winchester Canyon Road, Goleta, CA 93117.

We will keep you posted if more details come our way.

Jerry Baumchen

I first met Dan in 1973. Squantum MA at the old Navy air base where Ted had set up operations. Along with Fran S running a sewing machine, with a few other notables of the day.

We fished my first "reserve" out of a dumpster. (Strong had purchased a truckload of surplus belly reserves, the dumpster was brand new and never used for trash, but it made a nice place to store a couple hundred reserves.)

Next stop was upstairs to be fitted with "ParaBoots" Dan said they were a "necessity" if I landed on something hard.

Over to the jumpsuit rack, Dan said if it don't fit, he would personally modify it.

Told me about the "bus" and introduced me to many fine folks. Hid me on a load as a student so that I could jump into the inn at the end of the day with everyone else. Of course I was a year to young to have a beer there.

Give ya the shirt off his back, without question. Gave up many formation jumps to mentor others without question as well.

Was never about skydiving with Dan,..
Brett Bickford Did Not Commit Suicide.

He is the victim of ignorance and faulty gear. AND as in the movie: "12 Angry Men," of an ignorant and callous jury.
  • Like 1