skymama

Michael Wolfe

It is with great sadness that I report the unexpected passing of Michael Wolfe on Sunday, August 2, 2015. His death was not due to a skydiving accident but a heart attack while at home.

Whether you were a Hellfish, POPS, Muff Brother or visitor to Zhills or the Fitzgerald boogie, you probably crossed passed with Mike. He was an incredibly good-hearted man, great teacher and genuine friend who lived life with enthusiasm and was always up for a good time. I wouldn't even be a skydiver if it wasn't for him. His absence will leave a huge hole in my heart.

My heartfelt condolences go out to his wife, son and grandkids.

BSBD, Michael.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Sorry to hear that. My experience of him was when I was a low jump number guy that no one wanted to jump with when I was working in the area close to Z Hills. He introduced himself, and we did a few 2 ways with free coaching for me. Instead of fairly boring solo jumps I got a decent learning experience. Nice guy.

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example

Mike was my drinking buddy, organizing partner, travel companion, partner in crime and my brother. I am so sad right now I just can't believe he is gone. I will miss his energy, humor and wit so much.

He was a great friend to me and many others.

We love you Mikey
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

I remember a few years back at a Fitz boogie, Mike was trying extremely hard to get me to come to the Muff Brothers Boogie that year. Unfortunately, I wasn't going to be able to make it, but that didn't slow Mike down one bit.
As the evening went on, he tried harder and harder to "persuade" me with stories of the parties and after hours antics, all while my fiancée was standing right next to me. After one of his more detailed, graphic, and quasi-unbelievable arguments, seeing the look on her face, he looked right at her, smiled, and said, "It's all in good fun. "
Thinking back now, as he'd been introduced to her earlier that day, not sure if he wasn't just messing with us. But, then again, with Mike it could be hard to tell.

Blue Skies Forever, ya funnel fish asshole. :)

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I always liked jumping with Mike. He was knowledgeable, friendly, and knew how to slot people to get the most out of them. There were long stretches between my jumps at Z-Hills, but Mike always remembered and welcomed me.

I read that he was a fifth grade teacher. I did not know that. I guess that's why he worked so well with skydivers. He stood on the playground and watched how the third grade teacher handled students.

Aloha too soon to a good skydiver, a great man, and a true friend.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

He was a great teacher! The school ended up giving him problem kids whom the other teachers weren't equipped to handle, and he whipped them into shape. He had different teaching methods than most. I can remember him creating a fuss with the other teachers and administration because he made an unruly classroom of kids go outside and march as if they were in the military! :ph34r: My daughter was in that class. The kids were fine. I thought it was funny.

My daughter is devastated that Mr. Wolfe has passed on. She was in his class 15 years ago. How many of us can say that we'd be so heartbroken if one of our teachers died? I think it's a nice testament to the impact he made in so many lives.

because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

What a way to start my day.

Michael, thank you for all the conversations we had at Fitz and since then. You made me feel included at the boogie and helped give me confidence for when I returned to my home DZ. Thank you for all the advice, the phone calls, and the laughs. I miss you, you fat floaty bastard.

Signed,
Fat floaty bastard in training (Tisket)
If you can't convince them, keep them confused.

A fundraising page has been set up to help Mike's wife, Lisa, pay the bills. If you'd like to help, the donation link is here.

Also, if you are in a Tampa area, there will be a gathering at a bar on August 13th, organized by one of Mike's whuffo friends. I believe there will be an ash dive and celebration of life at Zhills at a later date not yet determined.

The note about the gathering is the following:

I would like to thank everyone for the overwhelming support and outpouring of love for Michael and his family in this time of need. This has been a great relief for Lisa in her time of distress, and a true showing of the community spirit that Michael was so much a part of.

A gathering that started as a few friends getting together to have a beer and smoke a cigar in tribute is transforming into a proper Irish Wake that Michael would have loved.

Please come to celebrate Michael's Life next Thursday, August 13 at 5:30pm at O'Briens Irish Pub | Tampa, FL. This was a favorite watering hole for Michael and what better way to say goodbye?

A few of Michaels friends are going to contribute to the cost of the event outside of these funds. The first few pitchers and some food will be provided by these friends. We will be showing a slide show of pictures to remind us of the good times we have all shared with our dear friend. Please message me if you would like to contribute a photo or share a story for the gathering.

I look forward to seeing all who can attend.

Rob

Here is an update for Michael's ash dive and Celebration of Life.

Come join Mike Wolfe's family and friends for a celebration of Mike's life on August 29th at Skydive City. We will make a few jumps during the day. Food and drinks in the Sunset bar after Jumping (around 6pm).

Mike was a good friend to many of us. Let's get together and remember his huge smile and big heart.

Please share this with anyone you think would like to be there.

Word to the wise: don't watch that video at work. Had to close the office door for a few minutes afterward. :(

ETA -- James did a really nice job with this. Excellent music choices as well. :)

See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!