jerry9461

Bob Martin

GrimReaper

Wow. 93 years young. 15 siblings. WWII fighter pilot. Firefighter. Skydiver pilot. Sounds like he led one heck of a full life. RIP

Indeed. The Greatest Generation is disappearing fast. :(
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

jerry9461

Bob Martin passed away on Feb 6 at age 93. He was the chief pilot for Frontier Skydivers in the Buffalo, NY area in the 60s and 70s. He taught a lot to a bunch of us kids - in the plane and around the bonfire.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/buffalonews/obituary.aspx?n=robert-michael-martin-bob&pid=174091429&fhid=29707

Bob was the pilot for my first jump in March 73.
I was scared to death. He had a soothing voice that calmed me down and told me I could do it. Got to see him in Georgia last year. Drank everything we put in front of him. A real Buffalo Bum. That's two for me this week. Rest in peace Bob Martin and my dear friend Texas Tom.

MARTIN - Robert Michael "Bob" Age 93, passed away February 6, 2015. He was the last of 16 children born in Western New York to his parents, Edward Adam Martin and Catherine McMahon. Bob served as a Lieutenant in the Army Air Corps during WWII, flying a P47 fighter named "Buffalo Bum" with the 368th Fighter Group in France and later Germany. He married Greta Putvin of Sloan in 1948 and built a new home there, where they raised their three sons-Michael, Thomas, and Kurt. Eventually the family migrated south to Georgia, with Bob leaving Sloan in 2003. He was a Buffalo firefighter for over 30 years, serving primarily with Ladder 14 on Bailey Ave. Bob Martin was the chief pilot for Frontier Skydivers parachute club for many years, and he also enjoyed rifle and pistol shooting at the Blasdell Rod & Gun club. Among this area's attractions, he really appreciated the German restaurants and taverns. His survivors include his children and numerous cousins, nieces and nephews in Buffalo and WNY. There will be no memorial or funeral, only cremation through McDonald & Sons Funeral Home of Cumming, GA. Condolences may be expressed at www.mcdonaldandson.com. Arrangements by McDonald and Son Funeral Home, 150 Sawnee Drive, Cumming, GA 30040 (770) 886-9899.