swovelin

Van Pray RIP

It is reported that Van Pray died in a plane crash last night, along with his wife Alberta. Van Pray was, I believe, the founder of the DZ at California City and he operated it for many years. He has many friends throughtout the So Cal skydiving community. Blue skies on your flight west Van.

That's sad. I used to fly into Cal City just to see Van and shoot the shit about jumpships and the skydiving biz. We flew a few times so he could show off the performance of whatever mod he had most recently incorporated. He was generous with knowledge and infectious in his enthusiasm. Smooth skies and tailwinds Van.

Jon

Blue Skies, Van... one of the first people I met in the sport and he and Alberta became a best friend of my father's years later.
SO, the entire Schumacher family send condolences and love......
~~We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly~~MLK

Well, I have been in denial about the outcome, but I heard that they have been identified in the crash. Van and Alberta were are incredible part of skydiving history, and will be missed.

Van did me a big favor a few years ago, and checked out an airplane that was close to him that I was going to buy, and took pictures to send me. I talked to him on the phone. I always thought that I would some day get a chance to meet him in person, but now that is gone.

So folks, don't put off doing what you need to do to connect with your fellow skydivers. Dropzone.com and Facebook allow us to communicate from all over the world, but it isn't the same as doing it in person.

I am at a complete loss... Van encouraged me to start flying, and and I owe most of the joy i find in life today to him. He and Alberta were two of the most amazing people I've ever met, I am proud to have worked for them even if for such a short time. My world is a better place thanks to the two of them, and I am positive that the world is a better place thanks to the two of them.

Words can't express the joy I found in our 5am conversations getting ready for load 1. I've missed those moments so since the dz closed. I'm so sorry I didn't take more time to visit in the years since.

Again, words can't express how much you two mean to me, and I'm so sorry I didn't tell you that sooner.

boyfalldown

I am at a complete loss... Van encouraged me to start flying, and and I owe most of the joy i find in life today to him. He and Alberta were two of the most amazing people I've ever met, I am proud to have worked for them even if for such a short time. My world is a better place thanks to the two of them, and I am positive that the world is a better place thanks to the two of them.

Words can't express the joy I found in our 5am conversations getting ready for load 1. I've missed those moments so since the dz closed. I'm so sorry I didn't take more time to visit in the years since.

Again, words can't express how much you two mean to me, and I'm so sorry I didn't tell you that sooner.

..................................................................................

Great times on those free, sunrise staff loads.