highspeeddirt

Doug Angel

over the years ive met lots of jumpers. some you stay friends with and some you lose touch with. one i did stay long time good friends with, and never lost touch gave me my first shot at working at his dz. did my first demos into the fireworks on some 4th of july's with him. he could be a cranky old bastid, and id bust his balls about it. most of it was a front. now, im the type of guy that takes something and runs with it. he never heard the end of it from me the day he was climbing into the plane in front of me and i noticed he had stapled the spandex on his boc to his rig. "dont worry about it, its just got to last for this jump"...... im like, did you even unpack the main or take the damn pc out before you did that? or his old school camera helmet, which consisted of a motorcycle helmet, with what i think was a 16mm movie camera side mounted, and a huge 10 pound counter weight on the other side so he could hold his head straight. i remember going up in the loft and the line of t-10 rigs reminding me of when truman sparks slaps the rig and the dust comes off it saying "dont worry, i repack these babies every week"...... the huge blown up pic on his wall in his office with a bath tub in freefall for a commercial or something like that. (i still have to get a copy of that one) he always had an old school story to tell, most with some kind of carnage, cops, drugs, alcohol, women, nakedness, pissed off boyfriends with guns, etc...it goes on and on. he even eventually wrote a book with some of it in there. we would meet sometimes for dinner, or drinks, parties at our house or his, or sometimes just a random visit. i ended up moving out here just minutes away from his house and the dz that i first worked at. we got to see each other more, but never enough though. always plans to meet up, him or i would call each other and we would do the "yeah, i know, i was gonna call and then got busy and forgot". today i am numb writing this. after doing 4 years of almost constant chemo, every kind imaginable, longer than anyone ive ever heard of, and never really even bitching about it, he lost his battle yesterday. fly free old friend. BSBD Doug Angel.

doug loved a good stiff drink....tomorrow i am stopping by to see tammy and have a few drinks with her. we are going to go through old pics. i made a couple posts with the same above on a couple facebook groups. one is oldschool skydivers, the other is skydivers who traded their parachutes for wings. please, if you knew doug, please....go there and share an old war story. he always had tons of them and his friends always had some about him.....i know i sure as hell do.

i honestly dont think there will be any. his kids will spread his ashes in florida, he loved it down there.... he wanted tammy to have a midsummer nights ball this season with everyone there.

Blue skies, Doug.

My wife and I both made our first jumps and graduated AFF at Skydive East (1990-1992) and remember Doug, Tammy & the gang well. Nothing but fond memories: Sky Manor and then Alexandria Field, T-10s with belly mount reserves, Midsummer's party, Harry-O, so many great friends/characters passed through that place.

Dave Briegs

dave, i remember you from x-keys and a msb party. i think last time i saw you was at a party at louies cabin a long while back. doug and the gang were there too. there will be a msb party for doug this summer, probably 2 days worth....im sure all dougs friends are welcome, its what he wanted.