swovelin

Dr. Dave Holmes

It is my sad duty to report that Dr. Dave Holmes has "joined the big-way in the sky." I'm informed that Dave passed away a few days ago in the Las Vegas area; services are this Saturday, Oct. 18, in Henderson NV. The inimitable 'Doctor Dave' was a pioneer RW instructor in the early days, using his background in education, he helped develop a formal progression for teaching FF skills to up-&-coming jumpers. He was a dedicated instructor, a safety-first, no-nonsense jumper, and he was a true friend to all. RIP and fly free Dave!

Edited to add photo of Doctor Dave, 2nd from right, thanks to Bob Buehrer.

Here is the url of a very nice obit for Doctor Dave, with lots of info about his amazing life and many excellent photos. http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=David-Holmes&lc=1010&pid=172749411&uuid=7562c818-f883-4ebb-9805-ab7ef54282c1

Just to let the community know, Doctor Dave Holmes was given a most dignified and heartfelt send-off at Palm Mortuary in Henderson NV last Sat. 10/18. The old-time Perris jumping family was well represented. The featured speaker for Dave's skydiving life was the inimitable "Lizard" (Bob Waltzer), who spoke eloquently and lovingly of his years of jumping DC-3s with not only a fellow Marine, his best friend, Dr. Dave. Junebug Urschel mustered the courage to speak off the cuff about the tremendous impact Dave had on her early skydiving career, giving her the confidence to stick with the sport. Also in the audience were Pat & Jan Works, Chris Kelly, and Barb & I, amongst others. The heartfelt tributes went on & on, by current & former Marines, by Professors & Deans from UNLV, by members of the Henderson City Council. by so many people whose lives had been shaped by this amazing man. There was not enough Kleenex in the world to contain the flood in that room! Farewell and Godspeed Doctor Dave, a bright soul whose light burned out much too soon.

Doc helped me in skydiving and my career in so many ways; great friend, gifted instructor and one of the most interesting people you could know. We shared 10 Christmas holidays, multiple collegiate championships, Thanksgiving and Easters at Perris, and many other events together skydiving back in 80s and early 90s. Even though Doc had not jumped in over 20 years, we stayed in contact often. Sad that he's gone...