jdobleman

Carrol Shaw

Our First Jump Course Instructor Carrol Shaw passed away on August 19th from a heart attach during a procedure for renal failure. We just found out about it when the coroner contacted us because Carrol wanted his ashes spread. Carrol was our head cook and always provided his salsa, gumbo and other dishes to our cookouts. Hundreds of students have him to thank for their introduction into skydiving. He was once with the Skyknights in Wisconsin for a while.
He will be greatly missed and impossible to replace.
Blue skies my buddy,
madjohn

Main goals in life: Be on the "Jumpers Over Eighty" (JOE) World Record and attend the Lost Prairie Boogie once after I'm gone.

madjon, please post on the byron facebook page, or on here when you have information on the date of the ash dive. im supposed to be moving to seattle in 2 weeks, but would be absolutely stoked to get on carrols ash load if it happens soon.

im really gonna miss him, he always had awesome old school stories, a huge grin, and an awesome attitude towards everyone. plus his salsa was unreal. BSBD buddy, ill catch you on the flipside someday.
gravity brings me down.........

man, i'm sure going to miss Carrol. His love for this sport and the people is unquestionable. He was not the most elegant at catching tandems, and I don't know how many times we told him not to, he would just go out there and do it anyway. Classic.

Hanging out in Byron and LP will always be cherished. One of my first memorable Carrol stories was my first Davis Boogie when I started jumping again here in CA. Carrol had brought his RV over there and in true host fashion, left a very comfortable chair out front for me. Well...i'm not sure if it was for me, but I sure used it. After I was out until who knows when shotgunning beers all night with Ball Sac, that appeared to be a great place to sleep. Carrol walks out of his RV in the morning and gives me his nod of approval. We laughed and discussed the evening a bit and asked me if I needed the chair again the following evening. Man he loved telling that story...and always let me know a chair would be there for me at when we were at different events.

His salsa was legendary. He could never make it 'too hot' for me, but man, it always had a little zing. It was so good. He was a great cook.

Carrol - blue skies man. You will be missed by many. Byron Love.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

Carrol put the "home" in the phrase "home DZ". I remember having his gumbo for dinner at night and then waking up in the morning hung over as hell, and there was Carrol already cooking breakfast for the survivors. It wasn't a business; it was just something he loved doing for his friends. "Just put a few dollars in the jar for groceries".

Carrol gave a lot to the sport, and those who remember his accident know the price he paid. And still he smiled through it all. I will miss seeing his smiling face (although sometimes he showed a LOT more than just his face).

Moshe

I was one of Carrol's students through AFF ground school. Carrol was a genuinely nice guy who cared about his students and kept up with them as they progressed through student status.

When it came time to learn how to pack, not only was Carrol ready and willing to teach me and others everything we needed to know, he got down on his hands and knees and packed with us, multiple times and on different days until we "got it". I'll forever be thinking about Carrol as I'm using my pull-up cord.

So to Carrol, I hope you can read this where ever you are.

Thank you for teaching me at AFF ground school, thank you for teaching me how to pack, and thank you for jumping with me on my birthday. I would have liked to jump with you more, but your signature and skydiver stamp in my log book are cherished.

Blue Skies, Alan

Chris,

We still haven't been able to get Carrol's ashes, although we're trying to locate them this week. If not, we'll be doing a missing man formation dive this Saturday, after the Speed Scrambles which will bear his name.
We're also having a potluck and Salsa competition.

madjohn

Main goals in life: Be on the "Jumpers Over Eighty" (JOE) World Record and attend the Lost Prairie Boogie once after I'm gone.