cathybmw

Johnny Gates

All the Muff Brothers (and sisters) miss him terribly. I'd give anything to hear him do his pre jump spiel one more time. [:/]

Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I still have the sticker on my helmet of Johnny giving the Muff Brothers salute in freefall with the caption "Pull your stoppin ropes! My favorite line from him. I miss getting a big hug from him whenever I saw him at the DZ. He will not be forgotten!

Robert

I think about Johnny every day. I have the pic Tony took of him in the bomber on my office wall.

He was an inspiration to a lot of us and he will be in our hearts forever
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

I was fortunate enough to have known Johnny way before skydiving. We used to hang out at Lk. Hollingsworth on weekend afternoons. At that time (late 70s) the lake had a permanent, measured race course and a permanent ski jump and slolam course set up. A group of us local boat racers would share the lake with the skiers, taking turns testing setups between the skiers' practice sessions. Fun afternoons with great friends. I think Johnny was a tow boat driver for the pro skiers at that time. I remember his Hydrodyne boat. After I quit racing I lost track of him for several years. I was happily surprised to run in to him again at Zhills when I was going through AFF. I credit Johnny with imparting in me the Muff Bros perspective toward skydiving. Johnny's passing was a great loss for me and for skydiving. Happy Birthday Rocketman. :)